RalfKelleh
What's New?

The end of Bitcoin or take over by Big Money

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I'll stick with cash @ JP Morgan Chase, no one can mine my cash besides the tax I pay the FED.

I don't understand how a made up currency with no backing has any legitimacy. It's $500 today, was $1000 last month, $13 last year, it's all made up like a pyramid scheme with people making off with millions of cyber money.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Mac, do you mine at home or are employed\own a mining firm? If at home how many coins can you mine per month with how many computers?

I am about as far into it as you can be and still be a 'hobby'. My rigs got to the point where they were overloading the breakers in my house and I am now at the point where I installed separate circuits for them. (4 separate 20a circuits).

I really got into it towards the end of the year, and just got into it at right before the equipment became unavailable. (there is now a worldwide shortage on the AMD cards to mine with). I have had cards backordered since early Jan that at best MAY come in April. Cards (if you can get them), have gone up 40%. But mostly, you can not even buy them.

Litecoin is a scrypt based coin so it requires memory to mine. It is the reason you must still use GPU's. The litecoin network has a lot of improvements over bitcoin and it poised to really take off after it is acceptedon to some Fiat exchanges (which is rumored to be happening soon).

I stopped at 4 rigs which I built myself. I have them all networked in and I run them virtually. I thought about building more, but you just cant get the equipment. Also, if I went bigger, I would run into more electrical issues.

My current rigs generate about 1700/month and use about 330 a month in electricity. What I am really counting on is Litecoin going up in value. Then the payoff will be pretty big. My goal is to have between 800 and 1000 coins by years end, but you never know. I am just over 200 now.

Here are some pics of my setup

2014-01-18181603_zps4c7afb30.jpg

2014-01-18183221_zps7abcd514.jpg

2014-02-05145343_zpse50b2390.jpg

I'll stick with cash @ JP Morgan Chase, no one can mine my cash besides the tax I pay the FED.

I don't understand how a made up currency with no backing has any legitimacy. It's $500 today, was $1000 last month, $13 last year, it's all made up like a pyramid scheme with people making off with millions of cyber money.

LK....think about it. We are now in the information age. The whole thing is pretty nuts. But if you look at history, some of the things that are the largest innovations, often seem crazy when they first come out.

The idea of a digital currency that govts cant control and manipulate makes it quite a target....but it also makes it very attractive. The power is in the whole....and it cant be manipulated, or cheated. Some BIG names in the finance industry are hopping on board and a quick google search will pull up all kinds of info.

There IS value in the network itself. Using an example of gold having value regardless as it has been a prized commodity for ages. Given it's scarcity and demand, it has value.

Same with bitcoin. The demand comes from what it can do. You can send and exchange currency independent of ANY bank in a 100% secure manner. (no one can ever steal or counterfeit a bitcoin). The ENTIRE network (1,000,000's of computers would have have to be hacked as the network knows where each and every coin should be)

This currency is 100% market driven. No govt intervention, no inflation...etc. In fact, it is the opposite.

So what value is there in a network where you can instantly (in a 100% secure manner) exchange currency over a phone, computer...even an email. This is non traceable and 100% secure.

We live in the information age and are still using a currency system based on mortgage backed securities. (which is manipulated all the time and worth less and less every day).

So although I believe this will be slow to catch on.....I think eventually as time goes on with globalization, a universal secure currency will come to light. Any govt that restricts it, misses out on the economic opportunity of a 8 billion dollar (currently and growing) portion of the economy. In europe's troubled markets, it is catching on MUCH faster. Friends with family in Italy ( a real messed up economy) are flocking to this.

As I said, I am mining 'litecoin' which is the #2 player right now. (Just my gut tells me to and it works for me)

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
100% geek ^^^

Nice Traxxas Stampede, though. I have one as well. :)

Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011
I'm more worried about the US dollar.

I think Bitcoin is no better than a fiat currency.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011

Yes, but dont forget, bitcoing (and other cryptos) are without borders and governments. They really gained a foothold because of the turmoil in Europe. They have gained acceptance much more quickly over there because many people do not want their govts money. I have friends with family in Italy and they said you can spend bitcoin in many places. From coffee shops to grocery stores. Some people even opt to take their salary in it rather then getting it in govt money.

This is interesting for sure, but I think something will come of this. I am taking a shot, but I know it is a gamble. If I lose it all....well then it did not work. If it hits, it should be good. Either way it is fun and rarely do you get opportunities like this. Wish I had been in sooner.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011

Swiper, if the move away from the 'Petro Dollar'' happens, our US currency will be wortha about as much as a Fiat.

Yes, but dont forget, bitcoing (and other cryptos) are without borders and governments. They really gained a foothold because of the turmoil in Europe. They have gained acceptance much more quickly over there because many people do not want their govts money. I have friends with family in Italy and they said you can spend bitcoin in many places. From coffee shops to grocery stores. Some people even opt to take their salary in it rather then getting it in govt money.

This is interesting for sure, but I think something will come of this. I am taking a shot, but I know it is a gamble. If I lose it all....well then it did not work. If it hits, it should be good. Either way it is fun and rarely do you get opportunities like this. Wish I had been in sooner.

Mac, I do agree with your attitude, you're taking a shot knowing the risks. It's how fortunes are made and lost. But...I think you mentioned the downfall of bitcoin. It's the siimple fact Govt's can NOT control it, this is why they will never let it survive. Jus my opinion and I def give you respect for jumping in and taking the risk.
No risk , No reward

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
.. It's the siimple fact Govt's can NOT control it, this is why they will never let it survive. .

You are right! But I think it will play off differently. This stuff has already gotten a foothold. It wont just disappear. Given that it is without borders, any country that puts up limitations that are too restrictive to it's use, will lose out on the already 10 billion (in USD) in circulation.

It is why companies like Overstock.com are taking Bitcoin and rumors that Amazon will follow. The govt wants revenue. Sure, at some point, it may be taxed or fees charged, but putting up barricades means this money wont be spent in your country and will go to others.

The big push will be from internet transactions. I did not know this but just over 1% of all online CC purchases are fraudulent. This costs billions. This can not happen with cryptos. Someone can steal yours, but it is like stealing the Mona Lisa....you cant do much with it after you stole it. Everyone knows it is stolen.

There are already big players moving in to act as exchanges for businesses to accept bitcoin. They can take 1% or less and undercut the CC industry. Retailer gets a HUGE bump to their bottom line and transactions are more secure then ever with limiting losses.

Sure the entrenched businesses will fight it....but the future will keep rolling. Remember when you used to pay a long distance bill and AT&T ruled the world. Now you would laugh if someone told you that you had to pay $100 a month in long distance fees.

I think change will HAVE to come in the future. The technology is there....it just has to creep in now and filter down. One day we will wake up and think we always paid digitally.

I am just hoping I am picking the right one that will end up being a major player! If you pick right....the rewards will be pretty big.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
well think back in the day what gave gold value? this was before electronics etc it really had no value....its based on growth how much gold can be minned from the hills over time? thers only so much gold and once its gone its gone... all it is is a way we track trade.. just a reminder dollar bills were sposed to be backed with gold but we have now surpassed that... well with bitcoin is the same way we mine it from the internet and use it to trade only so much bitcoin is possible to mine and unlike the dollar bill the govt cant borrow and have it printed up screwing with the economy... interesting stuff....

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
fancy looking set up there, i see its in the garage is heat a issue?

I am about as far into it as you can be and still be a 'hobby'. My rigs got to the point where they were overloading the breakers in my house and I am now at the point where I installed separate circuits for them. (4 separate 20a circuits).

I really got into it towards the end of the year, and just got into it at right before the equipment became unavailable. (there is now a worldwide shortage on the AMD cards to mine with). I have had cards backordered since early Jan that at best MAY come in April. Cards (if you can get them), have gone up 40%. But mostly, you can not even buy them.

Litecoin is a scrypt based coin so it requires memory to mine. It is the reason you must still use GPU's. The litecoin network has a lot of improvements over bitcoin and it poised to really take off after it is acceptedon to some Fiat exchanges (which is rumored to be happening soon).

I stopped at 4 rigs which I built myself. I have them all networked in and I run them virtually. I thought about building more, but you just cant get the equipment. Also, if I went bigger, I would run into more electrical issues.

My current rigs generate about 1700/month and use about 330 a month in electricity. What I am really counting on is Litecoin going up in value. Then the payoff will be pretty big. My goal is to have between 800 and 1000 coins by years end, but you never know. I am just over 200 now.

Here are some pics of my setup

2014-01-18181603_zps4c7afb30.jpg

2014-01-18183221_zps7abcd514.jpg

2014-02-05145343_zpse50b2390.jpg

LK....think about it. We are now in the information age. The whole thing is pretty nuts. But if you look at history, some of the things that are the largest innovations, often seem crazy when they first come out.

The idea of a digital currency that govts cant control and manipulate makes it quite a target....but it also makes it very attractive. The power is in the whole....and it cant be manipulated, or cheated. Some BIG names in the finance industry are hopping on board and a quick google search will pull up all kinds of info.

There IS value in the network itself. Using an example of gold having value regardless as it has been a prized commodity for ages. Given it's scarcity and demand, it has value.

Same with bitcoin. The demand comes from what it can do. You can send and exchange currency independent of ANY bank in a 100% secure manner. (no one can ever steal or counterfeit a bitcoin). The ENTIRE network (1,000,000's of computers would have have to be hacked as the network knows where each and every coin should be)

This currency is 100% market driven. No govt intervention, no inflation...etc. In fact, it is the opposite.

So what value is there in a network where you can instantly (in a 100% secure manner) exchange currency over a phone, computer...even an email. This is non traceable and 100% secure.

We live in the information age and are still using a currency system based on mortgage backed securities. (which is manipulated all the time and worth less and less every day).

So although I believe this will be slow to catch on.....I think eventually as time goes on with globalization, a universal secure currency will come to light. Any govt that restricts it, misses out on the economic opportunity of a 8 billion dollar (currently and growing) portion of the economy. In europe's troubled markets, it is catching on MUCH faster. Friends with family in Italy ( a real messed up economy) are flocking to this.

As I said, I am mining 'litecoin' which is the #2 player right now. (Just my gut tells me to and it works for me)

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
So in simple terms can someone explain what mining is since everything I have read talks in circles missing the actual explanation.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
So in simple terms can someone explain what mining is since everything I have read talks in circles missing the actual explanation.

Mining is finding somthing you can use for trade... With gold it's easy to understand how you can find gold...
you can find bitcoin by having computers solve complicated math, once a problem is solved a bitcoin is discovered..
likes been said already there's only about 21 million possible bitcoin that can be discovered so it's not like the founder of bitcoin can just make as many as they want and throw it out there... For some folks it's just easier to sell some type of service or product in order to get bitcoin an some like McGyver can put in the work and pay cost to mine them... I kind of think of them like poker chips.. It's real money to my fellow players but doesn't mean much at Bank of America... USA has the dollar, Mexico the pesos and japan the yen... I like to think of the internet as it's own country so who has the rights to regulate the World Wide Web? I admit tho I don't own one single bitcoin I just find the topic very interesting.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Mac:

Can you tell us what exactly your computers are doing when mining? Are they doing complex mathematical computing or serving some other function? Are they adding to the capacity of the internet somehow? Or something else?

In other words, do you know what function they are serving, and do you get to choose that function? And how do you find the opportunities?

Thanks. Ww.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic