Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

The Bench Press: Flat Bottomed Shoes VS. Ones With Heels

guss

guss

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2010
Question: Eric, Does the Tendo data basically tell you that it doesn't make any difference whether you squat in heels or not? The numbers seem close to each other and are probably within experimental error (?).

Answer:

Interestingly, it actually did say to us that I was perhaps a bit better with heels on. However, wearing the weightlifting shoes resulted in an injury for me in August and another in October. You can surmise all you want, but those were pretty much the first injures I had incurred in powerlifting; and that dates back to competing in 1995-1996 and then starting back up in 2002 to the present at 4 or so meets a year.

It is interesting to note that my strength curve changes a bit depending upon which shoes I am wearing.

After my 2nd injury in October we went back to the flat soled shoes and I seem to be back to where I was a year or so ago. It was a valuable lesson and we will never get those 9 or so months back; but we learned that for me, squatting in flat soled shoes is a "safer" bet (pun intended).

Eric Talmant

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
Ive seen too many people have problems leaning forward with "heeled" shoes when they squat... Its just fucking easier to use flat soles and "feel" the floor under you...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Ive seen too many people have problems leaning forward with "heeled" shoes when they squat... Its just ****ing easier to use flat soles and "feel" the floor under you...

They are having this problems because they need to learn to squat in the shoes. You can't just jump in an oly shoe and get on the platform.
For starters as they initiate the squat step one is to push the butt back out beyond the heel.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Different styles of squatting take different shoes

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
What about a 6in heel?

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I prefer one flip-flop and one Do-Win. Keeps the muscle confusion up.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Wait, the topic is benching, but somehow we got on squats. So which did OP mean?

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
I'm going to assume by the way the question was phrased that "The Bench Press" is the name of the magazine or website this came from?

As for people "leaning forward too much" with oly shoes on, that person simply does not know how to squat properly. The raised heel just lessens the angle the ankle joint has to travel in order to get to a full squat depth while keeping the heel firmly planted on the ground. This allows you to push your hips back much further while still remaining grounded with flat feet.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The titls is incorrect. It speaks of benching but the thread is about squatting solely. As for squatting in Oly shoes (shoes with heels), it's something that must be learned and not something you just jump into. You wouldn't just throw a bench shirt on and start benching would you? No, you need to learn how to use the shirt to properly perform while wearing a shirt.

Squatting in Oly shoes is natural to me but than again I came from Olympic weightlifting so I was already used to squatting in a heeled shoe.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I can speak to wearing them while benching too actually... When I started training with Uphill we had to work hard on his bench more than anything. His set up was as good as we could get it, but getting his legs angled down from the hip to the knee was not possible due to his particular leverages. Once he bought the adipowers and started benching in those his set up become significantly tighter overall. So for some, its a great investment and worth a try when benching.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I can speak to wearing them while benching too actually... When I started training with Uphill we had to work hard on his bench more than anything. His set up was as good as we could get it, but getting his legs angled down from the hip to the knee was not possible due to his particular leverages. Once he bought the adipowers and started benching in those his set up become significantly tighter overall. So for some, its a great investment and worth a try when benching.

I bench, overhead press, and squat in my Oly shoes. I even perform some pulling movements in them but I don't pull conventional in them. They're a huge asset for me. I get better leg drive in bench, have a more stable contact with the floor when it comes to squatting, and it makes it easier to hit depth as well.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic