Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

The Astros and the Sign Stealing Scandal...

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
This has gotten big!! You have current and former Major League players saying this is way worse than the PED scandal. Frankly, I agree and while I am disgusted with the sign stealing scandal, I am almost thankful because I felt the PED scandal was blown way out of proportion. PED's have been around long before it was brought to the public's attention and the media blew it up.

Personally, I have no issue with any of the players named in the PED investigation. I would do the same in their shoes. We are talking about their livelihood and future. Obviously, getting a new contract is performance based so I wouldn't even have to think about it. I blame baseball for playing dumb until they were forced to act. Sadly, it isn't much different than this cheating scandal. MLB knew about it, and actually tried to cover it up.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Welcome back @hawkeye

They should be booed and rotten cabbage should be thrown at them wherever they go. Now there is a lawsuit by a season ticket holder for delivering a sub-par product.
Let Pete Rose back in, he did much less worse

Reactions: SAD
C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I think it's fucking bullshit. Should be stripped of their World Series title in 2017. Who knows if they had a similar cheating scandal that hasn't been uncovered.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I think it's fucking bullshit. Should be stripped of their World Series title in 2017. Who knows if they had a similar cheating scandal that hasn't been uncovered.

Exactly. They are throwing AJ Hinch and the GM under the bus. Beltran and Cora will get theirs as well, but I find it very hard that a player driven scheme is exposed and no players are being punished. MLB fears the union.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
What's even more messed up is the lack of remorse by the players. Most read scripted apologies (Altuve and Bregman). I am humored when Altuve tried to justify the title not being tainted by stating they only played half of their games at home. If you look at their home/away splits, its pretty glaring. Their owner didn't help the cause much by saying he agreed that he supported MLB in not punishing the players and basically threw Hinch and the GM under the bus. Its pathetic. And now with the comments of these guys getting dotted when they step in the box, Manfred wants to flex and say their will be repercussions for beaning Astro players. Baseball has had attendance drop (as a whole the last 7 years), this aint gonna help. Funny, when McGwire and his counterparts were hitting bombs, the attendance was through the roof. I think MLB looked the other way on the wrong scandal.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I think it's like the PED shit. Everyone was doing it. The Astros just got more sophisticated with it, took it to the next level, and got caught - like Barry Bonds. Teams have been stealing signs and looking for pitchers who tip their pitches forever. Now in they started using technology to do it in this era. If Billy Martin had this technology to steal signs available to him - he would have done it too.

Should the Astros be stripped of the world series - No. Should the video BS be stopped - Yes. Should Pete Rose be in the HOF - Yes. Are a lot of current and former Astro's going to get beaned this year? Yes and rightfully so.

M

metsfan4life

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2014
I think it's like the PED shit. Everyone was doing it. The Astros just got more sophisticated with it, took it to the next level, and got caught - like Barry Bonds. Teams have been stealing signs and looking for pitchers who tip their pitches forever. Now in they started using technology to do it in this era. If Billy Martin had this technology to steal signs available to him - he would have done it too.

Should the Astros be stripped of the world series - No. Should the video BS be stopped - Yes. Should Pete Rose be in the HOF - Yes. Are a lot of current and former Astro's going to get beaned this year? Yes and rightfully so.

agree with you 100%. obviously im a die hard baseball fan, always have been and always will be. stealing signs has been part of the game foooorreeevvvvveerrr (get the reference?) and rightfully so, its a way to get a leg up on the other team but doing it in rightful way - catcher drops the mitt a certain way, leaves the fingers dangling too low, pitcher tips his pitches, quirks, etc...its part of the game and all in all, its fun to try and figure out those things during the game. now using something thats making it way to easy to simply just zoom in and relay it, thats not etiquette thats been around forever and takes the fun out of it

Pete Rose should be in the HOF, end of story. I dread when he dies, they will induct him so he never has the satisfaction of it. Gonna be a ton of boos and beam balls thrown (tho there will be some fines/bans, but some arent going to care)

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
You guys are right, stealing signs have been around forever. I think one thing with baseball is for the most part, it has remained the same since its origin. With the advent of technology though, training, use of video and electronic, saber metrics and all that have come to the forefront. MLB never adjusted. Now we deal with this and try to move forward.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
agree with you 100%. obviously im a die hard baseball fan, always have been and always will be. stealing signs has been part of the game foooorreeevvvvveerrr (get the reference?) and rightfully so, its a way to get a leg up on the other team but doing it in rightful way - catcher drops the mitt a certain way, leaves the fingers dangling too low, pitcher tips his pitches, quirks, etc...its part of the game and all in all, its fun to try and figure out those things during the game. now using something thats making it way to easy to simply just zoom in and relay it, thats not etiquette thats been around forever and takes the fun out of it

Pete Rose should be in the HOF, end of story. I dread when he dies, they will induct him so he never has the satisfaction of it. Gonna be a ton of boos and beam balls thrown (tho there will be some fines/bans, but some arent going to care)

Seemed more like an entire team conspiracy and not just simple sign stealing but I probably only feel that way because it went on for so long before anyone caught on.

M

metsfan4life

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2014
Seemed more like an entire team conspiracy and not just simple sign stealing but I probably only feel that way because it went on for so long before anyone caught on.

oh dont get me wrong, it was a team thing, not everyone joined in as some didnt feel 1) that it was right or 2) were happy with where they were at and wanted to rely on their own intuition.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
First pitch of the year should be at Altuve's midget head.
Ok so he didnt get hit in the head and it wasn't the first pitch, but glad that fucker got hit on his first at bat. First of many...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic