Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

The Alchemist - Heady Topper

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Tried this American Double IPA this evening..... 75 IBU 8.0% abv. Fantastic... Comes in 4 packs of tall boys and they encourage you to drink it from the can for optimal flavor and pour.....great aroma and flavors, that I can't even begin to describe... hints of citrus, with a strong crisp taste....I believe this is the only beer this VT based brewery produces, and in their words they only produce one because they want to focus on producing one perfect IPA and I think they've come pretty damn close! I stole this review from beer advocate's site as it was written by someone whom is of a more refined taste than I

So if your beer tastes like this, maybe you only need to make one. There's likely no way that you'll ever out do Heady-Topper so just stop right there!

With a controlled and creamy pour of medium gold elixir, this hazy and glowing ale constructs a creamy, cottony white head with substantial retention and islands of lace. Overall, this is one sexy beer!

Seductive and mouthwatering citrus aromas abound from from the rim of the glass. The straight-up juicy fruity scent of the freshly squeezed pulp of ripe ruby red grapefruit with elements of citric acids, fruit sweetness that seems of thin honey, and some softer tropical notes of mango and apricot. It's impossible to put your nose so close to the glass without taking a sip.

The delicious delight of a beer delivers the straight forward grapefruit flavor just as the nose promises. The sweet pulp of fresh-picked ruby reds couldn't be more spot-on. Resiny as the citrus flavors seem to coat the mouth while the stripping of enamel commences. Soft caramel malts support the hops with the supple and elegant sweetness of powdered sugar and honey, but do so without contrast- make no mistake about it, this is a hop-forward ale with the likes that rarely seen. A very delicate yet hop-dominant balance throughout. Any estery fruitiness would weave into the hop matrix and inform the beer with complementary notes of tropical mangoes, apricots, and pineapple. Succulent and savory throughout, even as the beer's elegant hop flavor develops into soft resiny bitterness that grips the gullet with kid gloves in finish and aftertaste. Only the strong taste of alcohol for moderate 8% that reminds me of super glue is the only slight defect in taste.

Very creamy and delicate on the palate from the initial sip and deep into the middle portion of the palate. All the while coating the mouth with citrusy acids, diluted pine resin, and light sticky honey. The beer's carbonation develops a malty-dry finish that retains its soft malty body while contributing pleasant alcohol warmth and an extended citrusy bitterness.

When you're convinced of the impossibility of ever tasting a better IPA, something like this comes along and shows new possibility in flavor intensity, dryness, drnkability, and absolute elegance and finesse. It's hard to keep this beer off of the "perfect" line score.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Just wanted to add... This is the #1 beer overall on beer advocate.com ...in case any of you guys find yourself in the state of Vermont I strongly recommend you track some down

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
It's a great brew, not sure of the #1 status though.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I've tried this before, this is a really good brew, don't remember it being #1, but who cares, its freaking good.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic