Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Texas method

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Anyone used the texas method? Thoughts? I'm considering it after I finish the cube boss. If anyone has tried it, do you have any suggestions or variations that worked for you?

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Anyone used the texas method? Thoughts? I'm considering it after I finish the cube boss. If anyone has tried it, do you have any suggestions or variations that worked for you?

I've ran it and loved it. Had to take time off from the gym to heal up some old and nagging injuries so I'll be running it again soon. Trying to get rid of elbow tendinitis, knee pain, and what I believe is an intercostal sprain/tear.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
If you plan on running it I HIGHLY, HIGHLY suggest picking up Practical Programming 3rd Ed. By Rip and Kilgore and Justin Lascek's ebook on it.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
I'll definitely check that out doc, I appreciate the input. I'll likely run the basic template to begin with. Did you alternate bench and ohp each week?

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
I'll definitely check that out doc, I appreciate the input. I'll likely run the basic template to begin with. Did you alternate bench and ohp each week?

Anytime brother.

Me yes I alternated them weekly so one week benh twice and press once. Following week press twice bench once. Pick accessory movements that target your weak areas and don't add too much. Recovery will be an issue after a few weeks on the program. Make sure to eat in a surplus also. I tried eating maintenance and in a deficit while doing the program and it was t pleasant even when I toned down the progression scheme. It is a brutal program but very very effective once you get it tweaked to your weaknesses and strengths.

One invaluable thing I learned is that you MAY have to break up volume day into two days bc it can take 2+hrs once the poundages to up. You could volume squat on Monday and do some assistance work and then volume bench or press on Tuesday with assistance work. Deads should be done on Fridays or intensity day so there's gas in the tank for them. There's so many ways to tweak it it's impossible to go over it all here which is why I suggest the books. Your first run though I recommend following the basic template as you stated. Run it all the way through and then tweak it for future use.

Any other questions I'm happy to help :)

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
I see it outlined a couple different ways. In Lascek's book, it shows only pulling on high intensity day. Others I see a single set of 5 on volume day, then power cleans on intensity day with the option to use dynamic deads in place of cleans. What's your take on that?

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
IMO, pulling cannot be done with the same intensity on volume day as you'd be able to on intensity day. Some have successfully done it but I think those ppl are outliers and not the norm. One thing for sure is don't pull on recovery day lol. You could try both and see which works best but my money is on pulling on intensity day.

Rip advocates cleans bc there's no way to chest them and the Olympic lifts are some of the best at improving explosive strength and power. I tried doing cleans but flexibility issues led to elbow tendinitis so for the time being they're out of my programming. My opinion would be to do cleans on volume day for 5 sets of trips or 6sets of doubles and heavy pulling on intensity day. Another option is to do speed deadlifts on volume day, maybe 10-15 sets of singles on the minute and heavy pulling on intensity day. Again, you'll need to tweak the basic template to suit your specific needs and goals but your first run through try and stick to the basic program as much as possible. This will give you good baseline numbers to better setup your programming in later runs and also will give you an idea of your weak areas.

Does that make sense?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I wouldn't have anyone perform an Oly lift except those who are Oly lifters. You can perform a Clean Pull or better yet a Clean High Pull. That will still work on your explosive strength and speed. It won't put the undue stress on the wrists, shoulders, etc. I would advise anyone who wants to put in Oly lifts in their programming to put Oly assisting lifts in instead.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
IMO, pulling cannot be done with the same intensity on volume day as you'd be able to on intensity day. Some have successfully done it but I think those ppl are outliers and not the norm. One thing for sure is don't pull on recovery day lol. You could try both and see which works best but my money is on pulling on intensity day.

Rip advocates cleans bc there's no way to chest them and the Olympic lifts are some of the best at improving explosive strength and power. I tried doing cleans but flexibility issues led to elbow tendinitis so for the time being they're out of my programming. My opinion would be to do cleans on volume day for 5 sets of trips or 6sets of doubles and heavy pulling on intensity day. Another option is to do speed deadlifts on volume day, maybe 10-15 sets of singles on the minute and heavy pulling on intensity day. Again, you'll need to tweak the basic template to suit your specific needs and goals but your first run through try and stick to the basic program as much as possible. This will give you good baseline numbers to better setup your programming in later runs and also will give you an idea of your weak areas.

Does that make sense?

I wouldn't have anyone perform an Oly lift except those who are Oly lifters. You can perform a Clean Pull or better yet a Clean High Pull. That will still work on your explosive strength and speed. It won't put the undue stress on the wrists, shoulders, etc. I would advise anyone who wants to put in Oly lifts in their programming to put Oly assisting lifts in instead.

Makes sense doc. I was planning on just doing speed deads anyhow. I'm not much on oly lifts myself, and I feel dynamic pulls would probably better suit my needs anyway.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013

I can agree somewhat with this. As I said, doing cleans definitely messed up my elbow bc of wrist, chest, and shoulder flexibility...or lack thereof lol. I do enjoy performing cleans though so I'm a bit biased. Clean high pulls are definitely a great lift but one of the benefits of doing the full clean is you either rack it or you don't. A high pull isnt racked so it has a drawback much like speed deads for instance. There's no real way to fail the lift so your explosiveness is subjective in a way.

Cliff notes, I agree 100% if a trainee has flexibility issues that Oly assistance lifts would be a better option. My $.02 :)

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Makes sense doc. I was planning on just doing speed deads anyhow. I'm not much on oly lifts myself, and I feel dynamic pulls would probably better suit my needs anyway.

an option would be like BrotherIron said...to do Oly assistance lifts but speed deads are also a great option. The extra pulling volume should help as well as the power development as well. Yet another option would be to do RDL's/SLDL/Good mornings/Pendlay Rows/1arm DB rows on volume day but keep the intensity pretty low and build volume with these lifts. That added musculature you develop will def help in the long run.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If someone doesn't have the proper equipment... ie. bumpers, platform, Oly bar, Oly shoes, etc they should not perform an Oly lift or an Oly assisting lift to be honest. You can't perform the lift properly and I'm talking about the Oly assisting lift. You shouldn't even try to perform a Clean... be it a muscle, power, or squat clean. You NEED to have proper coaching in learning the classical lift. There are Oly facilities around to learn the lift but you may have to drive a distance to reach one and I'm not talking about a CrossFit gym either.

You generate the power during the second pull (from knee to hips). That's where the magic happens. That is what non Oly lifters need to obtain and it's not subjective. It's measurable and easily noticeable.

You can also perform a snatch pull and a snatch high pull. And to be honest when it comes to speed I would work from the block or from the hang.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic