Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Test levels for hpta shutdown

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Damn it, I meant to edit my post. This was wayyyyyyy back in 1989. My TSH went up -- from normal to some ungodly number. We're talking major hypothyroidism, and my doc panicked, insisting I go on meds immediately. I've been on them ever since.

T4?

10char

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
And I say anything less than 2000ng/dl is not optimal....where do you draw the line?

That is superphysiological. I would say age dependent, 500nanograms (or so) and below in my experiences started showing sides such as depression, erectile dysfunction, energy loss, mood loss, etc.

Mind you I can only report this from patients comment. I have never seen brain chemical levels, or other levels to coincide with this. I would like to. .

i don't have to, you made the claim it was unhealthy so the burden of proof is on you not me. But for shits and giggles, the standard range is almost always the optimal range as well except in few select cases such as vitamins and lipid tests.

I said being hypogonadal or low testosterone is unhealthy. Since the range was 240 and below. I am stating that 240nanograms and below is an unhealthy range.

the clinical chemists and biochemists that did the testing and statistics to determine that 95% of the population falls within the reference range given.

Good information that I did not know. Thank you!

free test is subject to much more flaws, the test is not universally standardized whereas total testosterone panels are, and the assays for total test have been validated whereas it's not the case for all FT panels.

But on top of all that, free test still doesn't give a more accurate view of what's happening in the body. All non-SHBG bound test is considered bioactive, not just the free test. That's bc test is weakly bound to serum albumin and becomes biologically active once it hits a capillary bed.

Well this is where we both can agree. I agree there are flaws in both testings. I have never seen expert found stats to show this correlation. Only personal experiences. The experiences I saw were that the more stable consistent blood plasma levels, showed the most therapeutic results for each patient.

Any endo who I ever worked with very clearly explained free test levels being more important. However, they prescribed based on Total Test levels only.

Either way, appreciate the respectful discussion :)

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
That is superphysiological. I would say age dependent, 500nanograms (or so) and below in my experiences started showing sides such as depression, erectile dysfunction, energy loss, mood loss, etc.

Mind you I can only report this from patients comment. I have never seen brain chemical levels, or other levels to coincide with this. I would like to. .

I agree 2000ng/dl is supraphysiological levels but I was just using the number to illustrate my point from earlier. The level where ppl become symptomatic can vary greatly which is why I said before that levels that seem low but are in physiological ranges may not be indicative of problems minus the symptoms.

I said being hypogonadal or low testosterone is unhealthy. Since the range was 240 and below. I am stating that 240nanograms and below is an unhealthy range.

agreed.

Good information that I did not know. Thank you!

Well this is where we both can agree. I agree there are flaws in both testings. I have never seen expert found stats to show this correlation. Only personal experiences. The experiences I saw were that the more stable consistent blood plasma levels, showed the most therapeutic results for each patient.

Any endo who I ever worked with very clearly explained free test levels being more important. However, they prescribed based on Total Test levels only.

Either way, appreciate the respectful discussion :)

Agreed again. Thank you for the time to comment on your views respectfully.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Lots of great comments and respectful discussion. This entire topic has been illuminating and helpful to the board. Thanks for the good back and forth. This is when we're all benefiting from one another!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic