Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

tennis elbow (non constructive pain)

S

shaun221066

Nov 10, 2010
Have had pain in forearms , worse in left, for number of years but just trained around it(no reverse curls especially).. Had to get minor shoulder problem looked at by physio and has diagnosed my forearm with tennis elbow.. For last few months the pain is intense enough to interupt sleep and and my mood is not the best when its giving me greif. Physio has given me a stretchy band thing put below my elbow and it helps somewhat,plus specific exersizes... has anyone who has experienced this have any advice on getting over it in the quickest manner.. looking back i have had it on and off for 20 years, just too thickheaded to think it needed addressing, now 44 yo want the least obsticals to reach my goals

milleniumgirl

milleniumgirl

Sep 12, 2010
If the pain is so bad that it interferes with your sleep, you need a break from the gym. It's probably not what you want to hear but physiotherapy and anti-inflammatories won't work unless you let the injury heal ....

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
Very deep tissue massage, stretching, ice, and REST..

S

shaun221066

Nov 10, 2010
yep not what I want to hear but correct.... was hoping someone might have "miracle cure" but knowing rifferent.. thanks guys , got ice packs, exersizes from physiotherapist .... oh and coutch

S

shaun221066

Nov 10, 2010
Fuck it... goin on too long and gettin wosre. Ultrasound in 4 days booked in with a look at hitting it with cortasone if doc thinks it will help.. anyone had experience with that stuff ?

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
This is an excert from a post by Ajdos in another thread:

"With tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) you are actually looking at the forearm as your problem. Most people dont realize this and go about trying to apply all sorts of chemical assistance to the issue, you see threads all the time addressing elbow pain, and its always a myriad of responses, from IGF,GH, deca, eq, tren, a top and adequan.
Well healing the joint is putting the cart before the horse if you haven't addressed and taken care of the underlying issue.
With elbow pain 90% of the time you are dealing with an imbalance in the 2 major muscle groups of the forearm.
The flexors, which close the hand and the extensors which open the hand.

In daily life we perform everyday taks 100's of times a day which require closing the hand. Think about how many times a day you open your hand against some sort of resistance?
Almost never.
Lifting weights only compounds the issue. You could go to the gym and train legs but your still going to grip and pick up weights, therefore working your flexors almost to an excess.
Still, most never train there extensors, and if they do, the muscle group still receives proportionately less stimulation.
So, during presses you grip the bar and start pushing, as the set progresses and become difficult you actually may not realize it but you grip the bar harder, while pushing the weight and putting stress on the elbow joint itself.
All this stress and wear and tear creates the problem.
So how do you fix it?
You have to strengthen the extensors, reverse wrist curls with a thumbless grip is a good start.
But what you can do everyday thats easy, is get a decently thick rubberband (you may need 2 or more) wrap it around your second set of knuckles around all five fingers.
Open your hand against the resistance of the rubber band and do it while watching TV, trust me you will be surprised to find the biggest and strongest of us will start to tire after 15-20 reps.
Correcting the imbalance is key, what good is getting the inflammation down if the cause is only going to cause the problem again and again chronically.
Once the imbalance is corrected you will be surprised how well your elbows will begin to feel and how much less often that problems with them occur.
Shows how bad the imbalance is.
To stretch the extensors, extend the arm straight out in front of you like a front raise, with the other hand bend the wrist down and you should feel the tension stretch in the extensors of the top of the forearm.
Hold it for 45 seconds to one minute then repeat.

Now ICE will be of great importance as well.
For inflammation of any joint I like to ice it for about 5-10 minutes, jump in the shower, turn the water up scalding hot and let the affected area get heat for a few minutes, then after showering applying ice one more last time."

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
cortisone will help for a few days but if the damage is bad it wont last long.

S

shaun221066

Nov 10, 2010
Mayo, already give you a thanks brother, specifically - had been doing or tried most of the exercises you mentioned except for the rubber bands across 2nd knuckle and stretch as in a reverse grip, after a few sets of 10 felt the burn like a good pump in affected area. I amped it up a bit with more resistance the next day and yesterday was the most pain free day from it in ages... Cheers brother will tell the two physiotherapists I went to about it , may help others too.. Gonna cancel appointment with mr cortosone when his office opens today

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A lot of big benchers get problems with tennis elbow and the ulnar nerve..... I got it bad when I first started handling weights above 600, then again above 700, and now 800 in the gym ( still only in the 700's in a meet :( )

What I was told by a bencher much better than myself is to 1st start freezing dixie cups full of water and doing ice massages a few times a day, to rehab he recommended light hammer and reverse curls and a hand strengthener from iron mind. The Iron Mind thing is cool, but you can do the same by stretching a rubber band around your fingers and opening your hand against resistance.

With that regularly in my rotation ( now as prehab) I've been benching pain free for a few months.... no more ulnar pain or crushing feeling in my forearms..... just my $0.02

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
ART! Nothing else to say.

Find a practitioner and they will fix you. This is actually very easy to repair using ART or Graston. No downtime just 5-6 ,15 minute treatments and you will be good as new.

I have it horrible in both arms now have basically no issues at all after about 6 treatments.

Active Release Technique. Find it, use it, be pain free I promise you.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic