Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Tendinitis (tennis elbow)?

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
Working biceps 2 nights ago on a preacher seat curl machine when I felt a sharp pain on my right elbow. Hurt like a mf’r. Wasn’t focused I guess and over extended the bottom of the movement. was on the tail end of my training. I considered it a sign to stop and called it a day then went home.
It’s painful when I forget and lean on my elbow otherwise painless. About to hit the gym we’ll see if ROM is ok.

I’ve had tendinitis petty bad a few times over the years yet it was always on the inside but never actual elbow pain.

Tennis elbow?

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Same thing happened to me about 6 months ago and just flared up 2 days ago. One of those adjustable forearm wraps with the bubble in it really took the pain from unbearable to livable for me. Best wishes man

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
Tennis elbow always came on slow from overuse and was a dull throbbing pain for me so yours sounds different from my experience

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
Learn from my mistake. Many years ago I developed tendonitis on the underside of my elbow. I kept on lifting, pushing it, ignored docs/therapists advice to rest it, kept going because I didn't want to take a couple weeks/months off from lifting. If it hurts....don't do it. Doesn't matter if you use a strap and it hurts *less*....if it hurts, don't do whatever you are doing. Anti-inflamms, massage it to break adhesions, ice. Wait until the pain is completely gone for at least a couple weeks before you start with the gym again.

I completely ignored all that advice, because most BBs are stubborn pricks with body dysmorphia and we don't want to get smaller.

I sure learned my lesson when I eventually had to have surgery to fix it. Very painful, and the recovery took about 6-12 months, much of it just trying to get confidence back that the repair would hold.

What did I learn? Better to take two months off from the gym than to have to take 6-12 months off for surgery. Surgery fixed the problem and it never returned, but I couldn't help but think that if I had just rested it like I was told I could have avoided surgery and missed less time from the gym.

jawbreaker24

jawbreaker24

Apr 23, 2022
I get the occasional flare up, deal with it as long as I can then get a cortisone shot

But to think of it, I have had to get o e there in a few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Any discoloration/bruising in the area? I’m concerned you may have a minor tear not tendinitis. If you’re still going to the gym tonight, please keep it very light, and let us know how it goes.

Tendinitis builds up over time as @Stclineman mentioned. It doesn’t happen suddenly on a single set like that Mid.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
I get the occasional flare up, deal with it as long as I can then get a cortisone shot

But to think of it, I have had to get o e there in a few years

No way! A cortisone shot just masks the pain temporarily. As you continue to lift while thinking you’re fine, you’ll just wind up doing much more damage.

Reactions: 5.0
genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
As long as you didn't actually do some damage, elbow sleeves do wonders for relief in the gym. That doesn't mean throw on a sleeve then go work biceps, but throw the sleeve on while working anything you think may aggravate it.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah, I would sleeve it and then floss it afterwards if it's just tendonitis.

S

Stclineman

VIP Member
Nov 8, 2022
I struggled with a lot of tennis elbow when I was doing jiu jitsu, mostly when training in the Gi. Doing reverse curls actually helped a lot. I think from all the gripping, pulling and curling of the wrist made the belly of my forearms overly strong compared to the top. Reverse curls helped to balance them out….

jawbreaker24

jawbreaker24

Apr 23, 2022
No way! A cortisone shot just masks the pain temporarily. As you continue to lift while thinking you’re fine, you’ll just wind up doing much more damage.

When I took them, I would stay outta the gym

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic