Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Teaching young lifters?

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
My boy 9yrs old has been wanting to go to the Gym with me forever. I have taken him before, but he has never done any of the Main lifts. Took him today and we worked on his Deadlift form. Not sure the weight he is doing. It was a Normal BB, but much shorter. Then just added 10lb bumper plates. Guessing 55 or 60lbs..

We worked on sets of 2-3 reps...

I think he did pretty good. Still needs to tweak his form some, but he had a good time and this seemed easy and natural to him..

Just looking for advice on what all I should teach him?
Should I take him to the Gym 2 or 3 times a Week?
Anyone who has experience with young kids?

Last edited:
S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Take him only when ye wants to go. As for weight, dont need much at all. It takes doing something 10,000 times for it to become a habit. So, technique technique technique. No belts ot wraps, ypu want them to devlop all the muscles. Everything else will work itself out once the form is second nature.

Also, i would not set them up on a body part specific type training. I higly reccomend training them more like athletes, full body stuff.

Last edited:
Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Take him only when ye wants to go. As for weight, dont need much at all. It takes doing something 10,000 times for it to become a habit. So, technique technique technique. No belts ot wraps, ypu want them to devlop all the muscles. Everything else will work itself out once the form is second nature.

Also, i would not set them up on a body part specific type training. I higly reccomend training them more like athletes, full body stuff.

This is pretty much what I was thinking.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Agree with schultz about full body stuff

I wouldn't actually start with the big 3 though. I would be using exercises that teach how to perform the lifts properly.

An example would be prior to teaching the deadlift I would teach the hip hinge.

Try teaching total body tightness though... good grief. That's a tough one.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Agree with schultz about full body stuff

I wouldn't actually start with the big 3 though. I would be using exercises that teach how to perform the lifts properly.

An example would be prior to teaching the deadlift I would teach the hip hinge.

Try teaching total body tightness though... good grief. That's a tough one.

The last trip before this one. I had him doing Goblet Squats.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I've got a LOT of friends who have their kids his age lifting..... man, we almost had a full flight of kids deadlifting at Relentless Minnesota last year. People who are totally ignorant will tell you all kinds of crazy stuff about it, but I'd guess I've seen 20+ kids come up without any problems whatsoever.

You've got the right idea having him work technique ( to a point, it still has to be fun)..... as a teacher I'd definitely recommend taking him when he wants to go at first. Most kids don't understand what it is to push themselves, don't really understand investing in their future ( just think of the struggle to get most of them to eat right or do homework).... so, they need to find it fun and decide on their own how committed they want to be. But, you can definitely have that talk with him if he starts asking about getting more serious.

The biggest thing I can share from seeing so many friends' kids come through the gym is that this has the potential to be great for them. Most really stupid stuff that kids get in to comes from their lack of self confidence or self worth. Having something that they excel at is the best way to keep them out of trouble.... almost 10 years as a public school teacher and I can say that with 100% confidence.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic