Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Teaching Deadlifting

N

Nerve

May 11, 2015
There seems to be a lot of good advice in here already. I saw someone mention "posterior chain." I think you might want to do activation exercises for the posterior chain with him. Just simple, no weight stuff. Reason I say this is because most people's posterior chains are not really active. We sit so much & since you mention a teen boy, I immediately think "video games." Now maybe he's not into them, but that's not the point. We spend so much time sitting in poor positions that the vast majority of the population has tight hip flexors & quads, & stretched & weak muscles in the posterior chain resulting in anterior pelvic tilt. Many people's glutes do not really fire well. When your glutes don't fire properly, your hamstrings will take over the primary job of the glutes - hip extension. The hamstrings having to do so much more hip extension takes away from one of their primary jobs of supporting the knee joint. So this is a performance thing as well as a safety thing. Plus, if you can't actually fire the tissue required, it's hard to do the movement properly & get what you're supposed to be getting out of the movement.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic