Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

taking a break

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
taking week break from the gym to let my body recoup a little bit. Starting back up monday again. Sucks being out of the gym and I dont like it but damn my body was just screaming for a break. Elbow pain shoulder pain all pretty well gone. been sticking to my cruising and taking in a shit ton of food still along with water.

anyone else take a little break from the gym?

milleniumgirl

milleniumgirl

Sep 12, 2010
Taking a break from it all is a good thing. I took 3 breaks of one week this year (during my holidays in the U.S.) and when I started hitting the weights again, it felt really great and I could push myself even harder.
You need breaks both physically and mentally ...

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Yeah but my little break has turned into a few months. Added work responsibilities and helping with the baby have been eating up my gym time.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Forced break since I don't have the cash to renew my gym membership.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
taking week break from the gym to let my body recoup a little bit. Starting back up monday again. Sucks being out of the gym and I dont like it but damn my body was just screaming for a break. Elbow pain shoulder pain all pretty well gone. been sticking to my cruising and taking in a shit ton of food still along with water.

Yeah and no, what I mean is like you (and I'm pushing 40) and all athletes who bust ass we need a physical and mental break (although DC guys wont admit it...jab). However, I take a lesson from the PLing guys who understand that repetive bouts of wt. training will have a cumulative effect on your body. So after 8 weeks of bustin tail you may have a a nice long weekend but come to the gym weaker, because you have never recovered 100% (nor should you) and so they (as well as myself a bber) deload.

After 6 weeks of heavy training I take two weeks to recover by dropping my wts. and volume 20%. It is at this time your body super compensates. You continue to train as exercise stimulates PRO synthesis (even at sub maximal wts.) and you will hold onto strength and mass as well. PLers will typically go for a new PR at this point, but I just crank it back up refreshed and bigger. And believe me it it hard to go to the gym and NOT bust your ass.

Best of luck,
Hawk

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010

from time to time i will take a week off...i dont lose nothing within a week ...i like the feeling of coming back and getting that sore feeling...But elbow pain will never disappear ...Once u start back banging the weights it will show its ugly face...I suffer with both elbows ...its a bitch i tell ya....dw

chemically-alterd

chemically-alterd

Dec 27, 2010
ya breaks always good. i usually take a week off once a year.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
When I can I usually prefer to do active recovery routines instead of taking a full break off. I'll do something like drop all my weight on every exercise down to 20/30 percent 1rm and complete my routine as usual.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
For me, it's important to take a week off immediately preceding a cycle or blast for the guys that follow that path. Gives your muscles time to heal before the rapid growth they will be enduring. Compared to when I've gone straight into a cycle without a break, I feel much better when I do take a break. Sometimes I've even done 2 weeks if I've been pushin some good weight.

Another great thing to do from time to time is give the smaller muscle groups 2 weeks or so off. Don't isloate bis, tris, delts, traps, or calves. Give yourself 2 weeks of pure bench, deadlift, squats, rows and all the heavy power movements. This usually helps my problems areas (smaller groups) recover and even grow more. This is even ok to do while on cycle. Most guys want to hit the gym as often as possible and slam those bis and tris....but few realize just how much you can grow your bis from a movement like barbell rows. It may take some courage on your part to try this for the first time, but you won't be dissapointed if you do it right.

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
I always like to try and lean out as much as possible before a cycle so my body responds better. This next time I'm thinking of taking a week off as well.

Another great thing to do from time to time is give the smaller muscle groups 2 weeks or so off. Don't isloate bis, tris, delts, traps, or calves. Give yourself 2 weeks of pure bench, deadlift, squats, rows and all the heavy power movements. This usually helps my problems areas (smaller groups) recover and even grow more. This is even ok to do while on cycle. Most guys want to hit the gym as often as possible and slam those bis and tris....but few realize just how much you can grow your bis from a movement like barbell rows. It may take some courage on your part to try this for the first time, but you won't be dissapointed if you do it right.

I might use this advice for my Spring cycle. Thanks!

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Woolf is on the money. Science has proven that A.R.T. is the best method for the break when it come to training. I would also note that the older we get, I'm 37, the less we need to train and the more we need to rest. I do best on a 3 day a week program any more than that I get run down.

Nsupps

Nsupps

Sep 29, 2010
I use a deload (40-50% of 1RM) week every 4th week to recover. And if I go on vacation or get sick then I usually take a few days off.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic