Rolanalon
What's New?

SYB... New and Improved SST

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm liking your new journal bud!

Thanks. I figured it was time to start a new one since this is a new program so... new journal. I'm not going to write nearly as much in terms of explaining things like I did on the old one b/c like I said this is a callobartive effort. I'll still write more about my prehab work and things I've always done.

Exciting to see two of our most knowledgeable lifter/coaches collaborating. Not only do I expect to see your numbers go up, but it will be a learning experience for the rest of us, too. Best of luck.

I'm stoked too. I was reluctant to change but you know the saying...those that don't change, don't progress. If you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards.

Agreed - things are getting exciting around The Den

Yes, things are. Everyone is ready for big things this year. I've even tightened up my diet so I'll probably stay sitting around 275 which is ok by me as long as my numbers continue to climb.

Co-sign. It'll be great to not only follow the journal, but to read the conversation between you and POB on this programming. Good luck on the new program, Brother Iron.

Thanks. There's already been a small change to the program. I'll be adding chains to my 10x3 day. You'll see that I'm no longer performing the reverse band speed squats. Now, it'll be chain squats. It's heavy speed work and not just speed work. PoB believes I need to work on my grind out sets which I agree.

Seeing SS is back in the gym with you... helpful?

Extremely. She not only spots me and helps me stay on track she also pushes me without even realizing it. She hit 415 easily for a single yesterday. She went 145x10, 195x10, 235x5, 285x1, 325x1, 375x1, 415x1 yesterday which is beastly squat day seeing as she hasn't been able to train in quite sometime with everything she went through last year.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Jan 13, 16 - Bench/Squat Day

Had to train by myself today and yup, you guessed it... it sucked balls. I hit the numbers I hoped for but I didn't push as much as I would have if SS was here. I was able to get a lift off for my 320, 330, 340, and 360 set but it was just someone from the gym so I played it safe.

WAVE 1 WEEK 2
BENCH/ SQUAT DAY
Bench~ bar x a lot, 95x25, 135x7, 185x3 w/p, 225x1 w/p, 255x1 w/p, 285x1 w/p, 320x1 w/p, 330x1 tng, 340x1 tng, 360x2 w/p slingshot
Pause Squat (3 sec)~ 145x5, 235x3, 325x3, 395x3, 395x3, 415x3, 415x3, 435x3, 435x3
Floor Press~ 135x5, 190x5, 205x5, 220x5 rep drop 220x3, 220x3​
Shoulder Prehab: stick stretch, wall angel, band pull apart, scap motion
Hip Prehab: band distraction

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm still sore from Wed's workout so I think I'll up my low carb day to 3 carb meals instead of the 2 I'm currently doing. So 6 carb meals on my high day and 3 carb meal on my low days. I think I'll make Mon a medium day which would be 4 carb meals. Mon is my bb'ing day.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Jan 15, 16 - Deadlift/ OHP Day

I felt like a train ran me down. I had nothing in me today. I had to really dig deep. 460x4 was a RPE 10. None of the sets were touch and go. I reset each rep so it does make the sets more difficult but that's the point.

I'm at my lowest bodyweight I've been in years...don't ask b/c I'm not happy. Much leaner but then again it makes lifts more difficult and even changes my leverages. I just woofed down a double burger, a baked potatoe, and a large fry. I'm going to sleep and when I get up I'll have something else... probably a cheat meal. I'm going to add 3 cheats a week. Not sure if I want to shit load before like I used to or get more out of it (at least stay leaner) or eat it after.

WAVE 1 WEEK 2
DEADLIFT/ OHP DAY
Deadlift (conventional)~ 135x5, 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 360x5, 360x5, 410x5, 410x5, 460x4
Plate Loaded OHP + red mini~ 45+Red x5, 90+Red x5, 95+Red x5, 100+Red x5, 105+Red x5 fatigue drop 80+Red x10
RDL~ 275x5, 315x5, x5
Shoulder Prehab: stick stretch, wall angel, band pull apart
Hip Prehab: banded distraction

If anyone is wondering SS is dieting hard and still had a kick ass day. She pulled 275x5, x5, 315x5, x5, 345x5.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
**** low carb days... Going to continue to eat clean for most meals ( 3 or 4 which will be bad). I felt like I was sick... shivers, fever, no appetite, etc. Thankfully, it's subsided b/c I ate 200g of Carbs at once but looks like I'm going to stay my chubby self. Better to be chubby and lift mountains then be lean and lift pink dumbbells.

So, only high carb days. Clean carbs such as oats, rice, and quinoa but plenty in each meal. I haven't even started using chains in my 10x3 day so time to eat up. I know SS liked me leaner but fvck that.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Well... I can say that me getting sick wasn't just from training. Training wore me down but there's a bug going around at work. I felt like shit this whole day. I actually left work early b/c I wasn't feeling well. I had a fever today and was light headed and dizzy when I stood up.

Obviously, I won't be training tomorrow. I'll squat on Wed and then do my recovery training friday, sunday, and monday.

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
Efffff low carbs, period....I faithfully eat just shy of 300 carbs every day, which is really nothing more than just above maintenance for me...I've recently broken down my calories into a 40/30/30 split which has really helped keep energy level up, which is tough considering I work graveyard shift...

hopefully the bug wears off quicker than expected for you man...nothing's more frustrated than missing gym time because of health issues, be it injury or illness....

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
**** low carb days... Going to continue to eat clean for most meals ( 3 or 4 which will be bad). I felt like I was sick... shivers, fever, no appetite, etc. Thankfully, it's subsided b/c I ate 200g of Carbs at once but looks like I'm going to stay my chubby self. Better to be chubby and lift mountains then be lean and lift pink dumbbells.

So, only high carb days. Clean carbs such as oats, rice, and quinoa but plenty in each meal. I haven't even started using chains in my 10x3 day so time to eat up. I know SS liked me leaner but fvck that.

Haha! My coach is lean as f*** and competes in the 198 class and has a deadlift of 735, so you don't have to give up on having abs to lift heavy.

I hear you on carb cycling. When going on and off my ketogenic diet, I always feel like crap for a day or two and often have day long headaches. The cure has been to limit carbs to one meal per week and to come right back off the carbs. This has virtually eliminated the problems I had been having with carb cycling. Also, to counter the low carbs, I eat plenty of fat, especially the first couple days off carbs. That helps a whole lot.

Alternatively, you could cut while eating carbs. Just lower your Kcals until you are in a caloric defecit . . . that is what my coach does to make weight.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I eat 60% carbs when I need to lose weight. Very easy to keep cals in check with a lower fat diet imo. Plus sugar is your primary energy source when you lift. I never run out of gas even in a deficit.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic