Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Supplemental MMA workout?

R

ranzo

Mar 29, 2011
Ok currently I am training in Krav Maga and the level there can be pretty intense. Normally I do regular level classes one sometimes two nights a week, fight class one night and I do Heavy Bag on Mondays. Currently though my schedule has changed due to my job and I can only make one or two classes a week and I work on wrestling/takedowns with my coach one day.

My question is what is a good way to develop some size and strength. I have started doing the 5x5 workout three days a week and do cardio on the other days.
I am 6'1" tall and wiegh about 177 right now and fight at 170. I want to be as big and strong as possible and still weigh 170.
Any Ideas?

R

ranzo

Mar 29, 2011
apparently this is a sore subject on several forums. I am still doing the 5x5 and implementing the 60day PLP routine in with my regular training. Seems to be working out pretty good for now.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
What's a sore subject? How to put on some mass while training MMA? That shouldn't be a sore subject ever. Sorry that I missed your initial post, but you have the right idea by just running a strength/power specific program like the 5x5. As long as you aren't doing any heavy conditioning type drills, then you shouldn't overtrain, and the extra strength (and muscle that comes with it) will only help you in the cage. As long as you keep training you shouldn't lose much if any speed with the extra bulk. I routinely cut from 190 to 170 (not in one day) when I first started fighting, and I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. I was used to it from wrestling, but a lot of guys have trouble with energy in the last half of round two and all of round three+ when they cut more than 13-15 pounds. If you were fighting at 205, it wouldn't be as drastic to cut from 225, but 190 to 170 is a greater percentage cut, and it leaves most people drained. Good luck with your goals. One last thing, your power on almost anything, from judo tosses to straight rights, is going to come from technique and speed, not lifting power.

S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
id highly recomend sticking with a workout routing that includes explosive training. use bands, keep ur conditioning up because the more muscle mass u pack on the more oxygen ur muscles will need...believe me there. also if u keep packin on mucscle and dont do some slow twitch training sure u may not lose a lot of speed, but ur flexability will go downhill. im speeking from experience here. i started into mma weighing 135 and ended up at 205...my conditioning sucked real quik. id recomend doing some good cardio, weighted hill runs, sled pulls, tire flips...and in the weight room sure go heavy, but throw in some days where u r putting bands on ur bench, deads, jump squats it will make a huge diference. good luck man

R

ranzo

Mar 29, 2011
Great thanks for the advice. I will use it. like doing the 5X5 and I also do running, with interim sprints. I am using Krav training for the other stuff. Saturday in Bag class we finsished with Sit ups to stand up to burpees. I completed 39 in two minutes.

Never have done tire flips would like to try and the weighted hill runs remind me of the Marine Corps, I think I could implement that easily enough. My true goal is to be as big and fast as possible and still weigh 170 on fight day.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic