pbtom
What's New?

Superoxidative Dismutase?....

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Liv.52

Vidyashankar S, Sharath Kumar LM, Barooah V, Sandeep Varma R, Nandakumar KS, Patki PS.
Source

Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Research and Development, The Himalaya Drug Company, Makali, Bangalore 562 123, India. Electronic address:

Abstract

HepG2 cells were rendered steatotic by supplementing 2.0mM oleic acid (OA) in the culture media for 24h. OA induced hepatic steatosis in HepG2 cells was marked by significant accumulation of lipid droplets as determined by Oil-Red-O (ORO) based colorimetric assay, increased triacylglycerol (TAG) and increased lipid peroxidation. It was also marked by increased inflammatory cytokines TNF-α and IL-8 with decreased enzymic and non-enzymic antioxidant molecules and decreased cell proliferation associated with insulin resistance and DNA fragmentation. Addition of Liv.52 hydro-alcoholic extract (LHAE) 50μg/mL to the steatotic cells was effective in increasing the insulin mediated glucose uptake by 3.13 folds and increased cell proliferation by 3.81 folds with decreased TAG content (55%) and cytokines. The intracellular glutathione content was increased by 8.9 folds without substantial increase in GSSG content. LHAE decreased TNF-α and IL-8 by 51% and 6.5% folds respectively, lipid peroxidation by 65% and inhibited DNA fragmentation by 69%. The superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase activities were increased by 88%, 128% and 64% respectively. Albumin and urea content was increased while the alanine aminotransferase (ALAT) activity was significantly decreased by LHAE. Hence, LHAE effectively attenuate molecular perturbations associated with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) indications in HepG2 cells.

Copyright © 2012 Elsevier GmbH. All

Can anyone confirm the highlighted?.....Are there more studies on this?....This looks to be done by an drug company?......If this is accurate, not bad at all!!!!.....

MrRippedZilla

MrRippedZilla

VIP Member
Feb 18, 2015
In-vitro studies are problematic. I'd wait for these results to be replicated in a proper RCT with humans before getting excited. Quick search tells me they haven't been.

Also important to note that the two key markers of real liver damage from orals are Bilirubin and GGT. If supplement isn't capable of getting those two under control, neither of which are mentioned in that abstract, then it's worthless as a proactive measure. As a reactive measure, liver values tend to creep back to normal once the cause is eliminated so -stopping the oral cycle would probably be more effective than relying on a supplement to battle it during ongoing use.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
In-vitro studies are problematic. I'd wait for these results to be replicated in a proper RCT with humans before getting excited. Quick search tells me they haven't been.

Yes, that's what I came up with too!....Just wanted to make sure!....

Also important to note that the two key markers of real liver damage from orals are Bilirubin and GGT. If supplement isn't capable of getting those two under control, neither of which are mentioned in that abstract, then it's worthless as a proactive measure. As a reactive measure, liver values tend to creep back to normal once the cause is eliminated so -stopping the oral cycle would probably be more effective than relying on a supplement to battle it during ongoing use.

TY!....I did NOT know this....I had a gut "feeling", it was to good to be true!....Again, ty for the input, MRZ!!!...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic