Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Super sets?

I

Infraggable Krunk

Apr 25, 2021
What are your guys opinions about doing super sets? They are the only way I workout every time I go to the gym. I do them for every "set". On Push days, I do a set on the pec deck and then do a set on the chest press machine 3 or 4 sets with about 12 reps with very little rest time in between. After that, I do a super set of incline dumbell press with a set of dumbell military press 3x10-12. I know that super sets usually are for opposing muscle groups but I heard that you can attack the muscle from different angles as well. I also do super sets for every thing on my pull days and legs and arms days. I don't have much time in the morning before work so I try to fit everything i can and go as hard as I can.

thegodofwisdom666

thegodofwisdom666

Apr 18, 2021
What are your guys opinions about doing super sets? They are the only way I workout every time I go to the gym. I do them for every "set". On Push days, I do a set on the pec deck and then do a set on the chest press machine 3 or 4 sets with about 12 reps with very little rest time in between. After that, I do a super set of incline dumbell press with a set of dumbell military press 3x10-12. I know that super sets usually are for opposing muscle groups but I heard that you can attack the muscle from different angles as well. I also do super sets for every thing on my pull days and legs and arms days. I don't have much time in the morning before work so I try to fit everything i can and go as hard as I can.
The best way to super set is Arnold schwarzenegger way push and pull chest and back etc. Super setting chest with another chest movement is not as affective, due muscle recuperation timing.
Look up arnold's super set workout and try it. I've done both Arnold's way is better

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
I think supersets are a great method, however I would not do it ever time you go to the gym. The body adapts to a stimulus so switching things up may help you keep making gains. Throw in some compound sets, tri-sets, giant sets. negatives, partial reps, drop sets, rest pauses etc. All of these are tool in your tool box to keep you making gains.

C

charger69

Jul 4, 2017
I think supersets are a great method, however I would not do it ever time you go to the gym. The body adapts to a stimulus so switching things up may help you keep making gains. Throw in some compound sets, tri-sets, giant sets. negatives, partial reps, drop sets, rest pauses etc. All of these are tool in your tool box to keep you making gains.

Big Tex hit the nail on the head. Same goes with rep scheme, days on/days off. Change is your friend.
Just another note on supersets. I also switch the combos up and what muscle goes first. Just to change things up, however I do have favorite groupings.

S

SilverFox

Oct 31, 2018
Big Tex hit the nail on the head. Same goes with rep scheme, days on/days off. Change is your friend.
Just another note on supersets. I also switch the combos up and what muscle goes first. Just to change things up, however I do have favorite groupings.
I'd vary the routine from session to session and changing the order of exercises as well as the number of reps/sets.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016

Yes, indeed!....This was strummed into me as well when I first began training!....ST knows what time it is for sho!...

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012

Absolutely! Remember the old Muscle Confusion Prncipal from Joe Weider written in 1950? Years later science has investigated this principal and found it to be right on the money! Change is YOUR FRIEND.;)

The muscle confusion principle

Strength - A study conducted by researchers at the Tempe campus of Arizona State University compared two groups of trained subjects, one using an undulating periodization program—a fancy term for muscle confusion—and the other with a linear periodization program. In the undulating program, the acute variables were changed with every workout, whereas in the linear program, they were changed every few weeks. After 12 weeks, people following the undulating periodization program increased their bench press and leg press strength by 100 percent more than those following the linear program.

Researchers from Brazil saw even more drastic differences when they had trained subjects follow one of three programs: an undulating periodization program, a linear periodization program, or a consistent non-periodized program of 8-10 reps per set. The training program consisted of a two-day split with 3-4 total training days per week.

After 12 weeks, the group following the muscle confusion program increased its bench press by about 60 pounds, almost 200 percent more than both the linear periodization program and the non-periodized program. The undulating program also increased the subjects' strength on the leg press by a staggering 275 pounds, 400 percent more than the non-periodized program and more than 300 percent more than the linear program.

Hypertrophy - This principle can apply to muscle growth as well as strength. Researchers from the Federal University of Rio De Janeiro had a group of untrained men follow a linear periodization program of two sets of 12-15 reps per exercise for four weeks, then three sets of 8-10 reps per exercises for four weeks, and finally four sets of 3-5 reps per exercise for the final four weeks.

Meanwhile, a group used those same set and rep ranges but cycled them each time they trained. The results: The group following the undulating plan increased its triceps size by about five percent, while the linear group saw no such increase. The undulating group also increased its biceps size by 10 percent—twice that of the linear group.

Science proves once again that us gym rats aren't so dumb after all. :)

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Absolutely! Remember the old Muscle Confusion Prncipal from Joe Weider written in 1950? Years later science has investigated this principal and found it to be right on the money! Change is YOUR FRIEND.;)

Wasn't born yet *cough* but yeah, joe supposedly knew his stuff!....:D

The muscle confusion principle

Strength - A study conducted by researchers at the Tempe campus of Arizona State University compared two groups of trained subjects, one using an undulating periodization program—a fancy term for muscle confusion—and the other with a linear periodization program. In the undulating program, the acute variables were changed with every workout, whereas in the linear program, they were changed every few weeks. After 12 weeks, people following the undulating periodization program increased their bench press and leg press strength by 100 percent more than those following the linear program.

Researchers from Brazil saw even more drastic differences when they had trained subjects follow one of three programs: an undulating periodization program, a linear periodization program, or a consistent non-periodized program of 8-10 reps per set. The training program consisted of a two-day split with 3-4 total training days per week.

After 12 weeks, the group following the muscle confusion program increased its bench press by about 60 pounds, almost 200 percent more than both the linear periodization program and the non-periodized program. The undulating program also increased the subjects' strength on the leg press by a staggering 275 pounds, 400 percent more than the non-periodized program and more than 300 percent more than the linear program.

Hypertrophy - This principle can apply to muscle growth as well as strength. Researchers from the Federal University of Rio De Janeiro had a group of untrained men follow a linear periodization program of two sets of 12-15 reps per exercise for four weeks, then three sets of 8-10 reps per exercises for four weeks, and finally four sets of 3-5 reps per exercise for the final four weeks.

Meanwhile, a group used those same set and rep ranges but cycled them each time they trained. The results: The group following the undulating plan increased its triceps size by about five percent, while the linear group saw no such increase. The undulating group also increased its biceps size by 10 percent—twice that of the linear group.

Science proves once again that us gym rats aren't so dumb after all. :)

Sounds promising!....

I

Infraggable Krunk

Apr 25, 2021
Thanks for all the replys and advice. Yeah, super sets have worked great for me but I have been doing this routine for about 9 weeks now and I feel like I've squeezed all the progress I can out of it and its getting stale. I am definitly starting something new on Monday, just not too what it is at the moment

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
"The only way I workout" --- I have a hard time seeing how that's gonna payoff longterm.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
"The only way I workout" --- I have a hard time seeing how that's gonna payoff longterm.
Depends what you value. Since switching to giant sets I get the same work in, take less time to do it, and have increased endurance. Not to mention minimizing the time being bored resting and getting asked for a spot.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic