Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Sumo or conventional Deadlift

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
Conventional, for inner thighs I prefer toes out on hack squats or similar. It's amazing how rare it is to see any deadlifts in many gyms these days. Everyone seems trans fixed on isolation movements and forget the compound basics all together.

i was doing deads a few weeks ago and this youngster came up to me the other day and said i should have my pic up with the other lifters from the gym. i laughed and told him no, i didnt need to be on the wall. i only had 315# on the bar and he said, "there arent very many here who could lift that." i laughed again and said it was only because no one else deadlifted! :D

it is a fabulous lift! i love it!

M

Michael

Jan 21, 2012
I've got long legs (34in waist to ground) for my height (5'8") and a shorter torso (22in waist to collar bone) would conventional or sumo work best for me?

I've been using sumo for the last two powerlifting seasons, but if it would help, i'd gladly switch to conventional

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I've got long legs (34in waist to ground) for my height (5'8") and a shorter torso (22in waist to collar bone) would conventional or sumo work best for me?

I've been using sumo for the last two powerlifting seasons, but if it would help, i'd gladly switch to conventional

Only one way to really find out... Start doing it.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

You got long legs and short torso, that's sumo right there. It's all about leverages.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Mar 19, 2012
When I first started training with Team Mendy, our coach suggested that I use the Sumo method of deadlifting because of the size of my legs (thick from years of heavy squats). I tried it but thought that it was harder on my knees. So I prefer using the conventional method only.

C

Cash Bliss

Mar 16, 2012
Has anyone here ever tried the hybrid stance for deadlifting?

This is what I am trying. I have always pulled 100lbs more conv. The reason I want some type of sumo is to get something out of a DL suit. I can't get anything from them conv. I will still pull both ways but I think the narrow sumo might work for me. I think everyone should try both and all variations. You wouldn't just use a flat bench and avoid incline and decline,wide grip etc. Hopefully they will all come up together one driving the other.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
When you say hybrid style, are you talking about the Ed Coan stance? I think my wife is going to try that b/c reg sumo doesn't agree with her knees. She's got HUGE legs but she prefers conventional.

C

Cash Bliss

Mar 16, 2012
When you say hybrid style, are you talking about the Ed Coan stance? I think my wife is going to try that b/c reg sumo doesn't agree with her knees. She's got HUGE legs but she prefers conventional.

Yes. I am refering to standing just wide enough to get my hands between my knees. I am fairly certain it is Ed Coan stance.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Yes. I am refering to standing just wide enough to get my hands between my knees. I am fairly certain it is Ed Coan stance.

We can now say " it WAS Ed Coan stance".... he switched to the hybrid stance when his hip started to go out... he had it replaced last Feb, was at the APF state meet talking to everybody in March, and is now back to pulling sumo and squatting big as fuck. If you ever meet him, ask him about it. It's amazing how fast he can have his pants down to show you the scar LOL.....

Excessiveone

Excessiveone

MuscleHead
Apr 6, 2012
We can now say " it WAS Ed Coan stance".... he switched to the hybrid stance when his hip started to go out... he had it replaced last Feb, was at the APF state meet talking to everybody in March, and is now back to pulling sumo and squatting big as fuck. If you ever meet him, ask him about it. It's amazing how fast he can have his pants down to show you the scar LOL.....

lmao Would of been funny to watch that scene unfold.

Can't believe you met Ed Coan, the man's a legend.

As for the thread, I see benefits cycling both styles and yes sumo style is harder on the knee's but easier on the back.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic