Members
Latest Member
Vinnievegas

Sumo or conventional Deadlift

guss

guss

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2010
Im thinking of actually rotating both deadlift techniques, I may even try training them both on the same day and see how clsoe I can get to puking.

What deadlift technique do you preffer?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Sumo makes my hips feel like they're going to dislocate... Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I like the longer range of motion from conventional though.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i go conventional and have only tried sumo once. it was alright. i might have to revisit it here again for something different to try. i agree with POB on the range of motion for conventionals.

Like_a_Weed

Like_a_Weed

MuscleHead
Jan 25, 2011
When I was much younger (18-20) I had a program that used both, after pulling sumo my conventional would always go up and vice versa. I wouldn't do both in one workout though unless that was all that I was doing for that day. I really wish I had a copy of that program, I went from 420 to 585 in about a year of it.

S

soinkid

Mar 14, 2011
Conventional all the way for me...feels smoother and I feel it more later...

H

HammerHead

Apr 26, 2011
I like conventional but lately i have been liking the way SUMO hits my glutes and inner thighs. I do them after my squat routine and it feels like every muscle is completely worked. I am sure I will go back and forth just like everything else......

Glad to see this thread!!

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Depends on your build and your goals. I prefer the regular deadlift however.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
I do sumo sometimes in rotation with regular deads to take the strain off my rather shitty knees.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i think im going to try sumo when i get back home since my first lift day will be dead day :D

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
learning either takes lots of time..... one workout won't be much of an indicator which one works better for you. I pulled conventional when I started and topped out at 600ish in a full meet.... 635 in the gym.

most of my team pulls sumo so with the help of some of the best sumo guys in the US ( won't name names on here, but a few guys pulling over 800) I took a year to get used to sumo and hit an easy 606, missed 640 that year on a close 3rd attempt. 650 in the gym.

After figuring out that I'm not built to pull sumo my coach made the call to go back to conventional I put in some work on my weak points and pulled ~700 in a meet.

There's no one best style. Even after getting a pro total and a PR pull with a conventional deadlift I still work sumo to strengthen my hips.