Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Sudden Onset of joint pain. Any ideas?

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Dear members. Any help would be appreciated. Here is some back info first. I've had a lifelong disc injury that I've managed to keep from acute stage most of the time by avoid work on the back that would flare it up. So last August I decided to play softball and played like I was 18(stupid) and yes within a week or so my back started to give me some issues and my hamstrings basically tightened up so badly I could hardly move around until they warmed.

Then in December, I started taking Flexeril to relax and after a few weeks my hips and knees and elbows became so sore that I was in pain 24/7. I couldn't even turn my head to look left or right to drive comfortably. It came on so fast that I refuse to believe this is an age thing. I'm talking pain that I had my doctor run a rheumatoid arthritis test but that came back negative. I suspected that Flexeril could be the cause so I stopped that completely two months ago but I'd say I still am inflamed in my hips and knees pretty badly. I can't do a pull up because the tendons and joints hurt. I can't squat. I can't even kneel on a couch without my knees hurting. I can't raise my knees up to put on pants without my hips(and I think it's the connective tissue not the hip joint itself) hurting. I'm 52yo. But last summer before I played ball non off these symptoms.

The sudden onset of this is what is disturbing. Aleve helps some but I don't want to rely on anything long term. Any ideas or info would be very apprecaited and helpful. It's definitely holding me back training wise. Thanks!

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
cyclobenzaprine shouldnt mess with your joints or tendons really.

No other trauma?
How long has the been going on?
Any other issues IE tick bits, dietary issues anything?

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
It started in December 2016. I haven't been in the wild so I don't think I got a tick bite. No other trauma other than my back flare up from the softball game. I'm not eating as much because of the lack of training but otherwise nothing drastic has changed in my life. Sleeping sucks because it's like the weight of my body stresses the joints out when I sleep. Sleep use to be the time where I recovered and felt better after a sleep. So weird.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
is it just in the knees and hip? or are other joints and tendons sore?

Do you take glucosamine?
vitamin d deficiencies can also cause tendon and joint issues.
if your on winny, high solo test or other aas like mast is can cause some issues sometimes.
Also GH can sometimes aggravate already tender sites.

Honestly if your getting your vitamins and not on anything that would cause it there are only 2 likely causes.
a) a trauma you didnt realize was a trauma
b) underlying medical condition.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
It started out like a full body joint inflammation. Mainly in neck, shoulders, hips and knees with hips and knees hurting the most.

I don't take glucosamine but I bought a bottle to try out.

I will up my vitamins. I haven't been eating vitamins. I'll look into a vitamin D supplement as well at this point. I was thinking maybe it could be vitamin related but it's not like it's the first time in my life that I didn't take my vitamins. But I will increase my vitamin intake to rule this one out.

I'm not on anything except trt

Thanks for all the responses.

I looked into Gms585 lyme disease symptoms and at this time I think I do not have lyme or chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia. Whatever it is it came on fast. I'd say it's at 4 of 10 scale right now if 10 was the worst in december so it seems to be slowly getting better but not fast enough. I'm not used to being in pain and not recovering like this.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
prime, i wasnt trying to freak you out or anything with the lyme disease comment. If you live in the NE ticks have been a real issue the last couple years and if your an active guy like hiking and such its easy to get nipped and not know. Also if you catch it early on its way better as there are long term risks.
Sorry for being like webMD and sounding scary.

It's honestly just as likely a vitamin deficiency if you are on TRT and lifting regularly. Take marginally higher doses of fish oil / cod liver oil for vitamin D and start taking a good dose of glucosamine. If that doesnt help TT a doc.

Good luck!

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Gms585,

Well you made a good point with the pain and sudden onset and I hadn't even thought about lyme. I looked the symptoms up and considered it a possibility but I pretty much only have the joint issues so ruled it out. Thanks for the suggestion though because the more possible avenues to consider the better.

Yes I will start up my fish oils and glucosamine and hopefully be back full force by summer if I can get my mental gears going again.

prime, i wasnt trying to freak you out or anything with the lyme disease comment. If you live in the NE ticks have been a real issue the last couple years and if your an active guy like hiking and such its easy to get nipped and not know. Also if you catch it early on its way better as there are long term risks.
Sorry for being like webMD and sounding scary.

It's honestly just as likely a vitamin deficiency if you are on TRT and lifting regularly. Take marginally higher doses of fish oil / cod liver oil for vitamin D and start taking a good dose of glucosamine. If that doesnt help TT a doc.

Good luck!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic