Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Strongman routines and planning.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
While there are plenty of us power lifters and Body builders, we rarely hear the side of a strongman and their interests, routines, workouts, diets etc.

For the men (strongman forum).

How much of this lifestyle consumes your every day life and approx how many hours/day-week are dedicated while in training? Also, the last two weeks before the next competition, how do you change your routine, diet etc to maximize your lifts and energy while attempting to fend off injuries?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Those are good questions.

RR you need to bring some of your SM friends on here.

L

LogPresser

Feb 4, 2013
Well I've only been training SM for about a year, but I'd say it does consume a large part of my life. Mostly because I'm beat up a lot of the time from the training.
As far as the training goes, myself and the guys I train events with all follow some type of modified PL programs. When I first started I was using 5/3/1 with an events day on the weekend. Now I'm on the "Cube" bandwagon. Another guy was all westside with an events day. And 1 was an push/pull/lower with events on the weekend.
As far as the last 2 weeks go, it all depends on the competition. If its a heavy show, I work on getting a feel for comp weight. Then shut it down 4-5 days out, only foam rolling and stretching. A lighter show, might work on speed and building reps, same thing 4-5 days out. The events play abig part in what the training cycle looks like.
There's so many variables in strongman that the best thing to do is just get strong as hell, and go fo it.
Hope that helps.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
We have a guy that has his pro card at our gym, he keeps a blog I'll ask him if he'll post up over here. Just from observing it seems like our guys do a ton of OLY lifts and carryover movements and then hit the actual strongman lifts.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Well Im not a MAN but Im gonna put my two cents in anyways

I have done 5/3/1 (modified a bit) two days a week then dl on event day during the weekend.
Right now is a bit of an off season so I am running lighter weight and more cardio. I absolutely hate it.
I am alternating squat and deadlift as a main lift every Tuesday . So one week is heavier deads one week is heavier squat s then accessories following.
Thursday I strict press and some bench (only close grip) and accessories.
Then of course every sunday we run events. Closer to competition time I will ramp back up to five events in two hours. Right now I run many attempts at three events

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic