Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Stretching, how important is it? Let me tell you!!

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
So I just came from the Sports Medicine Dr. I have Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow), Carpal Tunnel and a Separated Shoulder. The shoulder was done during a fall almost 3 years ago. The rest well I was advised that I needed to stretch more. Because of not stretching I am in the situation I am in, I was going in the club doing very little stretching and doing heavy weights.

The physical therapist said no more, I will do this, I said yes ma'am.

1. Stretch before heading to the gym.
2. Stretch legs thenwalk on treadmill, jump rope or bike for 8-10 min. to warm up.
3. Stretch again before working out.
4. Stretch right after workout.

Some people say its bad to do, some say its good, I believe its good.

J

jute

Dec 22, 2010
I wish I could find the article I read awhile ago.. Think its in a powerlifting mag.. It went into great detail why stretching was bad for you..

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Stretching has its uses and a great aid if done right..helps avoid injury when properly performed

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
I wish I could find the article I read awhile ago.. Think its in a powerlifting mag.. It went into great detail why stretching was bad for you..

Well brother, I know this, because of not stretching I had to give up strongman training. I did hear in certain circumstances that it is bad but I am living proof that if you don't it can be bad also.

captaincaveman

captaincaveman

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 17, 2010
I was in a good habit of working out at lunch....but a bad habit of not stretching post workout. Began having terrible back pain and thought I was injured. Someone at the gym asked me if I ever stretched because it looked like I was having back problems. I said I stretched a little to get loose before workouts, but that was it. They told me to stretch my hamstrings and back after every workout and even on days I don't work out. Back problems went away within two weeks.

It's important.
-CC-

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
Here are my thoughts on it..............

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mr personality

Jan 11, 2011
Hannibal youre just a mess arent you? lol Hope you make a speedy and full recovery.

I remember reading somewhere, forgot what magazine, but that stretching was subject to he law of diminishing returns. Meaning, that stretching for a short period of time is fine but that longer periods actually reduce strength and leave the person more prone to injury.

I believe the intervals should never exceed 10 seconds. Anything stretching above 10 seconds (per stretch) reduced strength. Now dont quote me on this as i am not 100% positive on the seconds. I am also unsure as to how many sets you could do before diminishing strength. But what I AM 100% on is reading somewhere that prolonged stretching diminishes strength.

MR P

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
Yeah I read that also but still need to stretch some.

M

mr personality

Jan 11, 2011
^^ oh yea! most deff need some stretch time. wasn't advocating otherwise.

I had a small tear in my rotator so warming up and stretching properly are mandatory.

MR P

jdjack

jdjack

MuscleHead
Sep 22, 2010
I.... ALWAYS.... stretch AFTERWARDS. Jumping rope, doing circles, etc is fine to warm-up.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic