Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Sterilizing Receiver Flasks

Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
How do you fellas sterilize the receiver flasks if you use just the filtration tops? I've always used the whole stericup filtration that come with the upper and lower, but lately it seems like the whole filter units PVDF .22 are a little harder to find.

I forgot I should have specified the Glass receiver flasks!!

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
Run them and the lids through the dishwasher after use and store them with lids on but not sealed tight. Tightly sealed with any trace moisture could grow 'stuff'. Hand wash and bake in oven right before use.

Or

Another method was to run through dishwasher and store until use, hand wash, rinse with reagent alcohol and bake.

I would use the latter method if you are using well water to wash.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
One thing i suggest is after the dish washer, is rinsing with distilled water before baking.

the distilled water will remove any chemicals left over.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Boil in distilled water for 15 minutes, put in oven at 420 for an hour. I would do this prior to using in order not to contaminate anything.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
I have no clue why people advise using a dish washer. You see what you put in there? Plus tap water is full of chemicals added in and from the pipes.

Use a flask bottle scrubber, dish soap, and distilled water. Once scrubbed good and clean, wash with distilled water till all soap residue is gone. Then spray down and fill with enough isopropyl alcohol (90%+) to wash everything else away. Final bath with distilled water before baking.

There are plenty of youtube videos about how to clean laboratory glassware. Some say you can use detergent, some say you can just use a solvent (iso alcohol 90%+ or denatured alcohol).

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
I have no clue why people advise using a dish washer. You see what you put in there? Plus tap water is full of chemicals added in and from the pipes.

Use a flask bottle scrubber, dish soap, and distilled water. Once scrubbed good and clean, wash with distilled water till all soap residue is gone. Then spray down and fill with enough isopropyl alcohol (90%+) to wash everything else away. Final bath with distilled water before baking.

There are plenty of youtube videos about how to clean laboratory glassware. Some say you can use detergent, some say you can just use a solvent (iso alcohol 90%+ or denatured alcohol).

Had you read, the dish washer was used as a preliminary wash prior to storage.

Distilled water and 90% isopropyl from Walmart?

LOL

CFM

CFM

Mar 18, 2012
Ah fuck! I get it now. Some people use their kitchen to manufacture............ Some people afford a few hundred bucks on a dish washer for their project.

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
all are options

autoclave............. all dies even the rare volcanic bacteria bacillus cereus due to the psi pressure cracking its protective shell.

alcohol bath with Isopropyl highest purity you can find, or ethanol usp kosher or even the poisonous wood alcohol methanol could be use as it will evaporate under heat sterilization even faster than ethanol by approx 10 degrees sooner..

now if you filter in a proper flow hood.. that maybe as close as we could get to cGMP procedure. just wipe down all items before taking them into the flow hood for opening them and using them together for your filtration.

If you re wipe down your flow hood every 30 minutes approx, you are following a procedure that can handle the most sensitive of materials that can not be cross contaminated or you have total failure.

I assure you that if you do this you are doing procedures rarely found in UGL and its going to take you an extra 25 minutes to do this maybe? and you can do this procedure for allot of media bottles to be guaranteed sterile for use..

please dont not place autoclave on top of any surface that can not take the heat. like an improper table surface..... it can melt right through it...

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Can I dip it in mouthwash instead if WallyWorld is out of 90% Iso

Had you read, the dish washer was used as a preliminary wash prior to storage.

Distilled water and 90% isopropyl from Walmart?

LOL

bigmills01

bigmills01

Nov 15, 2015

Thank u brother. This is actually what I was thinking to the tee...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic