Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

statistical equality, is it really equal?

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Ask yourself this. When you are in need of a very important surgery and a black doctor shows up and says he will be performing it. Don't you in the back of your mind say.. Whoa.. Did AF get him here? And if so, are there more qualified people to do his surgery on me?

Is this a common thought? Or a racist thought? Or is it justified thought (even if it holds little merit) because AF has been shoved down out throats for the past 30 years so you don't quite trust the skill set out there anymore.

I'm not racist but I can come to conclusions on what AF can do to the talent pool. Logically speaking it can only lower the talent if you enroll candidates based on color and then academics versus just based on academics alone.

Not trusting the talent pool is not racist if one is aware of the weakness of AF.

Last edited:

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
Ask yourself this. When you are in need of a very important surgery and a black doctor shows up and says he will be performing it. Don't you in the back of your mind say.. Whoa.. Did AF get him here? And if so, are there more qualified people to do his surgery on me?

Is this a common thought? Or a racist thought? Or is it justified thought (even if it holds little merit) because AF has been shoved down out throats for the past 30 years so you don't quite trust the skill set out there anymore.

I'm not racist but I can come to conclusions on what AF can do to the talent pool. Logically speaking it can only lower the talent if you enroll candidates based on color and then academics versus just based on academics alone.

Not trusting the talent pool is not racist if one is aware of the weakness of AF.

no things like that never cross the mind....IMO that's idiotic.

If so called Affirmative action got him there......his smarts and intellect is what kept him in the program and allowed him to pass the licensing and medical boards.

Just something to think about.

Last edited:
P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011

If so called Affirmative action got him there......his smarts and intellect is what kept him in the program and allowed him to pass the licensing and medical boards.

I agree with this statement on that he/she passing the boards.

Don't say it's an idiotic thought. I've seen many years of affirmative action. If you think all of its been positive then you Iive in the polar opposite dream world of mine. But at least yours is optimistic where mine isn't as much so. So good for you. :)

Last edited:
69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011

Do you want the surgeon that just passed or the one that's published and aced everything every step of the way?

Something to think about.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
Do you want the surgeon that just passed or the one that's published and aced everything every step of the way?

Something to think about.

as I have mentioned in the past...I work on a Post Surgical floor. Skin color, religion, gender has no bearing on why I would choose a surgeon. past performance is what matters initially. with this in mind...I may pass on those that are newer ....but unfortunately, many of the seasoned surgeons (at teaching hospitals which I prefer) have Residents working / assisting in the OR. so you may get fresh blood with the seasoned surgeon.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
I agree with this statement on that he/she passing the boards.

Don't say it's an idiotic thought. I've seen many years of affirmative action. If you think all of its been positive then you Iive in the polar opposite dream world of mine. But at least yours is optimistic where mine isn't as much so. So good for you. :)

what's up Prime. In my opinion its idiotic for the lack of a better term. hurtful to hear others think this way...but this is just my opinion... and yes...I am or try to be optimistic.

I try to do this with everything. Hope I am not going off on a tangent....but like with picking my wife / significant other I never limit myself to a particular race, body type, or whatever category one may throw out there. to me this is limiting. One preference that I did have...was that it be female....because I don't float the other way....no disrespect to my gay/lesbian friends....its just not for me.

so the same with MDs.....I zero in on track record....could care less what color, culture or gender is. I want to get better, not make a statement.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
I agree. Track record is key.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
as I have mentioned in the past...I work on a Post Surgical floor. Skin color, religion, gender has no bearing on why I would choose a surgeon. past performance is what matters initially. with this in mind...I may pass on those that are newer ....but unfortunately, many of the seasoned surgeons (at teaching hospitals which I prefer) have Residents working / assisting in the OR. so you may get fresh blood with the seasoned surgeon.
This isn't always the case. Particularly in government owned hospitals.

Sometimes you have to compromise to meet quota.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
This isn't always the case. Particularly in government owned hospitals.

Sometimes you have to compromise to meet quota.

I don't like that word compromise......but I do hear what you are saying.

A Thanks to you and everyone else for keeping the convo civil.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013

Just remember, there are tons of physicians out there practicing without being board certified in their field. Sometimes this is ok, sometimes this is bad. For instance, there is an ER doc that works for my wife who is board certified in Peds. He's been working in Emergency medicine for going on 20 years now and is one of the best docs she has. OTOH, surgery has a whole other set of rules. There is a ton to learn in emergency medicine, but it can be done a bit easier without being board certified and if it's a REALLY good doc, without even a residency, but that's very rare.

Anyway, enough on that subject. I can tell you this. There are very few black physicians, and the more difficult the area of medicine, there are even less. I don't care what color your skin is, the first thing I look in to is your reputation for being a good physician. There are so many bad docs out there, black, white, yellow, brown...don't assume a doc is good because they're white either. It's a constant struggle dealing with horrible family practice docs and elitist douche bag surgeons.

You might see a few more black docs in the inner city hospitals, but the really good hspitals, like John Hopkins, almost the entire staff is black save for the docs. (I have been to some of the best hospitals in the country for my job and other reasons)

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
track record is the key in any profession..especially medicine... and a quick way to find a good doc is find one whose last name ends with "Stein" or "Burg"

(Kidding... kinda)

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
track record is the key in any profession..especially medicine... and a quick way to find a good doc is find one whose last name ends with "Stein" or "Burg"

(Kidding... kinda)
It's all cultural. I bet if all the kids in the ghetto thought being an accomplished surgeon was their only way out and was going to get them all the bitches they want the surgery community would look a lot more like the NBA.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic