Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
bsimon7074
What's New?

STATIC STRETCHING | Good or bad? Before or after?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I completely disagree that scientific journals aren't remotely as helpful as empirical evidence from people whose opinion actually matter.

Rockshawn

Rockshawn

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2013
I once, out of the blue, decided to do static stretching before legs. Had never done it before and for some STUPID reason I thought it was a good idea. Completely tore my right adductor longus (a muscle group I specifically stretched before lifting) and as a result tore part of my lower abdomen while trying to get out from under the weight. I was black and blue from navel to knee on the right side and it took forever to heal NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO STATIC STRETCHING BEFORE LIFTING. or sprints for that matter.

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
I completely disagree that scientific journals aren't remotely as helpful as empirical evidence from people whose opinion actually matter.

The vast majority of the topics discussed in here there simply isn't any research. There is a decent amount of research on stretching, however, especially as part of a warm up. Its just unfortunate that I am so different from you, otherwise we could all just copy the person 'whose opinion actually matter'

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
I once, out of the blue, decided to do static stretching before legs. Had never done it before and for some STUPID reason I thought it was a good idea. Completely tore my right adductor longus (a muscle group I specifically stretched before lifting) and as a result tore part of my lower abdomen while trying to get out from under the weight. I was black and blue from navel to knee on the right side and it took forever to heal NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO STATIC STRETCHING BEFORE LIFTING. or sprints for that matter.

From observation, one of the major ways people seem to injure themselves when they ask their bodies to perform something they are unfamiliar with. I don't use static stretching before lifting either.

But I am finding it strange having to argue that the only way we can know is if we get two groups of people one that does pre workout stretching and one that doesn't, and then compare results. Maybe I should not find it strange lol. A systematic review (which is what I posted) is a review of all of the relevant studies combined. So its not just one study is getting all studies. The results are clear, stretching is good for stretching not for injury prevention or performance.

But I will leave it there, people are entitled to their opinions lol

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic