Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Starting from ground zero

Rigatortoise

Rigatortoise

Nov 25, 2022
Ive never done a journal on a forum but, here I am. im starting a beginners program(greyskull lp) which puts a lot of work into shoulders and chest and has me squatting twice a week and dl once a week.
yes, I have the greyskull app and it logs everything for me but, I also need a place to go for form check and dieting, which right now probably boils down to just eating and getting the calories in.
i don’t think I’m confident enough to post my current numbers up as there are some really impressive numbers from a lot of you guys but, in time I’ll come clean.

7 minute on row machine

OHP 3 sets
X5
X5
X12

chinups 2 sets
X8
X8

neck harness 4 sets
X25
X25
X25
X28

squats 3 sets
X5
X5
X10

situps 3 sets
X20
X15
X12

nov 25 2022

warmup consists of light KB work ie
Goblet squats , halos, getups, dl
Stretching out hammies , quads, glutes , back, chest,
Also I’ve come to love foam rolling and use of lacrosse balls.

meal 1: leftover spaghetti
Meal 2 leftover tacos
Meal 3 Greek yogurt, granola, banana
Meal 4microwave burritosx2
Meal 5 conecuh, sauasage, shredded potatoes fried

November 26
Meal 1 chicken tenders, Mac n cheese, jap poppers,
Meal 2 2 microwave burritos
Meal 3 yogurt , banana, granola
Meal 4 fresh spaghetti
Snack pumpkin bread

7 minute row
Glute bridges
Cat camel
Side planks
PVC stretching
Deadhangs

flutter kicks
Reverse crunches
Supine bicycle

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
So what are your goals? Add muscle? Lose weight? Are you using any “supplements”?

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Also what’s your age and height at least?

And good for you getting started man! That’s the hardest part! That’s a win right there!

Rigatortoise

Rigatortoise

Nov 25, 2022
thanks for the comments and the support.
I am 36 6ft 180 lbs

My goals are to stay consistent with a program, make sure my form is in check, and pack on some muscle. I would like to be 200+ lbs by June next year. But 200 lbs and look good.

As far as supplements , I don’t take anything. I drink green tea or coffee for preworkout and I have micro used creatine but, I haven’t started taking it.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
It is a good idea to start a log here for a couple reasons. If you have questions about progress if gives us a reference to look upon in order to point you in the right direction. We can also steer you in the right direction if we see you going the wrong way. Go ahead and post up the numbers. The only person you are in competition with is yourself. We are all at different levels of experience and have different genetics.

I do have a question. When you say 3 sets of OHP are you talking about 3 sets total including warm ups and working sets or is it just working sets?

Rigatortoise

Rigatortoise

Nov 25, 2022
It is a good idea to start a log here for a couple reasons. If you have questions about progress if gives us a reference to look upon in order to point you in the right direction. We can also steer you in the right direction if we see you going the wrong way. Go ahead and post up the numbers. The only person you are in competition with is yourself. We are all at different levels of experience and have different genetics.

I do have a question. When you say 3 sets of OHP are you talking about 3 sets total including warm ups and working sets or is it just working sets?
Just working sets under load. I can’t go into anything cold. I’m old enough to appreciate the importance and value of warmups.

I will start posting numbers with my log if you think that’s going to help.

should also make some more specific goals to push for instead of just free balling it. But, at the moment I’m really just at wanting to make sure foundations are where they need to be as far as form and cues

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Just working sets under load. I can’t go into anything cold. I’m old enough to appreciate the importance and value of warmups.

I will start posting numbers with my log if you think that’s going to help.

should also make some more specific goals to push for instead of just free balling it. But, at the moment I’m really just at wanting to make sure foundations are where they need to be as far as form and cues
Definitely. I love reading the progress of newer people in the gym, because it is when you advance the quickest. You might see a 50-100% strength increase over 6 months where I am lucky to get 5%.

Rigatortoise

Rigatortoise

Nov 25, 2022
warmup
7 minute row high intensity
Push-ups x 13 x 13
PVC stretching
Hammie stretch
Calf stretch
Quad stretch
Kb squat 20# x 10 x 10
kB halos 20# x 10 x 10
Cat camel 3 sets
Glute bridge bw 3 sets

bench press
W/u bar x 10 x 10
Bar 10lbs x 5
Bar 20 lbs x 5 x5 x13

curls (paused at top ) 5 seconds down, 5 seconds up
15# x15 x 15

dl
W/u kb dL 35#x10 45#x10
Bar 50lbs x14

nevk harness
10# x25 x25 x25 x35

foam rolling back and legs
10 minutes of stretching

i don’t feel like I’m doing enough but I’m also keeping patience and really trying to make sure everything is firing as it should during my compound lifts and that my form is strict and lifts are controlled.

I willnotgo back to throwing weight i willnotgo back to throwing weight I will notgonackto throwing weight
I willnotgo back to throwing weight.

im going to try and post videos for form check in the next couple of weeks in hopes any weaknesses or problems can be addressed.
pointers, criticism, and advice is always welcome.
im here to learn and to grow

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
There are guys who go in and do a bunch of exercises per body part then there are guys who do 1-2 exercises per body part. Usually, the guys who do 1-2 have a lot more muscle. It is all about intensity. When you find a big guy who does a lot of exercises they usually do not put much intensity into most of their routine and save themselves for one exercise. Why waste time in the gym with all that fluff? Pick 1-2 exercises and hit it hard!

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
There are guys who go in and do a bunch of exercises per body part then there are guys who do 1-2 exercises per body part. Usually, the guys who do 1-2 have a lot more muscle. It is all about intensity. When you find a big guy who does a lot of exercises they usually do not put much intensity into most of their routine and save themselves for one exercise. Why waste time in the gym with all that fluff? Pick 1-2 exercises and hit it hard!
Yeah man. I do way less volume now and it really works for me. I can focus more on the, maybe 8 total working sets and get more out of them. And I’m in and out of the gym and not late to work anymore. Lol. I just wish more people would catch on so I don’t have to wait so long to get on a machine or whatever. Seems like everyone is still doing 4 sets of 10. Grrr

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
thanks for the comments and the support.
I am 36 6ft 180 lbs

My goals are to stay consistent with a program, make sure my form is in check, and pack on some muscle. I would like to be 200+ lbs by June next year. But 200 lbs and look good.

As far as supplements , I don’t take anything. I drink green tea or coffee for preworkout and I have micro used creatine but, I haven’t started taking it.
Good deal! Creatine is a good one. I’ve never heard of the greyskull app. I’ll have to check that out.

Rigatortoise

Rigatortoise

Nov 25, 2022
Good deal! Creatine is a good one. I’ve never heard of the greyskull app. I’ll have to check that out.
Johnny Schaeffer started the program. I’ve read starting strength but I’m currently waiting on the greyskull book. Figure it can’t hurt to give it a read to make sure I’m running the program as it’s intended to be run. The app is free ajd useful but the paid is slightly better IMO.

I am new to the less is more approach but, I believe my eyes are opening to the potential. I always went with volume and more volume. And I wonder now if that’s was impeding my progress. Im tall and lanky and it’s difficult for me to reach 200lbs although I’ve done it before.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic