Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

start point for contest diet?

FitPhillip

FitPhillip

Dec 8, 2012
Not all that new to this site, guess I've been a member since 2012 or so. I am also interested in a physique contest prep. Gym buds have encouraged me in this area but I've always thought in order to get really cut I'd have to add more muscle to my body in order not to look sick (thin, underweight). I am looking about the best I've looked in several years but still think that more muscle equals a more cut look. I'm pretty strict on my diet but don't count much. I do sometimes weigh my food but the numbers game just doesn't fit me well. Not quite an IIFYM type but more of an intuitive eater. Mostly chicken, rice, veg, rice cake snacking, peanut butter - bro type, I'd guess.

I am pretty lean right now but this damn muscle gain isn't going too fast for me. Strength is up the more I eat but many days don't get close to my 2,8000 cals.

Any advice welcome.
IMG_1649.jpg
2017-09-24 12.55.45.jpg

FitPhillip

FitPhillip

Dec 8, 2012
Oh and I didn't mention, I just today have turned 69 years old. Shit!

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I would start your own thread next time instead of using someone elses.

Top pic looks a ton different then the bottom, which is more accurate?

FitPhillip

FitPhillip

Dec 8, 2012
Pictures are taken 3 week apart. First pic was taken by a professional photographer September 1 and I took the second picture on Sept. 23 on my porch. I don't see them as much different but then I see myself everyday. Here's a couple more from the professional shoot and the back picture I took the same Sunday Sept. 23. Only thing I can think of is that the professional pics were taken in the evening and I probably had more food in me and the ones I took were around noon after a workout and I believe that day was fasted. I'm always trying to take good selfies but never seem to get good ones. 5th picture was taken by my workout partner at LA Fitness after we worked out.
2017-09-15 08.21.24.jpg
2017-09-15 08.21.24.jpg
2017-09-15 08.21.24.jpg

Phil
IMG_1733.jpg
IMG_1749.jpg
IMG_1581.jpg
2017-09-24 16.09.37.jpg

FitPhillip

FitPhillip

Dec 8, 2012
Sorry, that got all screwed up!! Pictures are in backwards order. I didn't see the LA Fitness picture post so I pushed the button 3 times and you see the results. All pictures were taken the same month.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
At your age, I would first have to ask what supps you’re taking. I am also referring to TRT/HRT and if you take anything else as far as aas is concerned. At 69, gains can be very, very tough. We would also need to discuss health and what possible risks you would be willing to take because of aas use.

Now, that’s not to say that you can’t train and do well at age 69 without aas, but without TRT as a minimum, it’s going to be a really tough battle. You’re already in fantastic shape, so getting more muscle mass than you already have is no small task.

Finally, you’re also pretty lean. It’s hard to make progress when you’re that lean, regardless of age. Are you willing to put on some fat and put off aesthetics for a little in order to be in a condition that is more efficient for muscle gain?

BTW, I noticed your right bicep is shorter than your left. Almost looks like the insertion point is different. Did you injure that mar or is that purely genetic?

I am an IIFYM user. Been using it for many years now. Let me know if you are interested in that at all. It can be used for contest prep, but you have to fully understand the diet and how foods effect you specifically to make it work for that.

FitPhillip

FitPhillip

Dec 8, 2012
At your age, I would first have to ask what supps you’re taking. I am also referring to TRT/HRT and if you take anything else as far as aas is concerned. At 69, gains can be very, very tough. We would also need to discuss health and what possible risks you would be willing to take because of aas use.

Now, that’s not to say that you can’t train and do well at age 69 without aas, but without TRT as a minimum, it’s going to be a really tough battle. You’re already in fantastic shape, so getting more muscle mass than you already have is no small task.

Finally, you’re also pretty lean. It’s hard to make progress when you’re that lean, regardless of age. Are you willing to put on some fat and put off aesthetics for a little in order to be in a condition that is more efficient for muscle gain?

BTW, I noticed your right bicep is shorter than your left. Almost looks like the insertion point is different. Did you injure that mar or is that purely genetic?

I am an IIFYM user. Been using it for many years now. Let me know if you are interested in that at all. It can be used for contest prep, but you have to fully understand the diet and how foods effect you specifically to make it work for that.

Thanks for your reply Sir!!

Sorry for a late response, I like to take Sunday as an internet free day.

I am not on any TRT/HRT. I've just finished a 30 day experiment with some SARMS, some YK11 and Ostarine. Not sure there is any difference in physique but I did feel there was some strength increase. I may run again but have. I've tried many OTC testosterone boosters both cheap and expensive. Currently taking one by EPG, Testro Shred. It has all the usual ingredients and is not a proprietary blend. I also use ZMA Jym, Hawthorn Berry, D3, 6g of Omegas a day, I've been looking at and had convos with Ben Hartman about his Test booster as well as Christopher Walker's testosterone and blood flow products. Ben said his booster raised his total T from under 500 to 750 and believe it or not Chris says his T level was in the single digits and he raised his to the 900 range naturally. Some of this makes me LOL!

4 years ago I did run Test E for several cycles. I really loved it and I had no sides. I did run AI and Post. I was pinning only 125mg MWF with no pin on the weekends. My workout partner was put on HRT and I duplicated his regimen only I used UG labs for the T. I would do in a heart beat again but I got taken for $350 from a bad source and I got cold feet to order again. My original source was Athletes Pharmacy and they were reliable but was a pain to pay and $28 for shipping. I'll shoot a pic below while I was on T. I think my physique thickened a bit.

I have no known health problems. I take no medication. My healthcare is with the VA as I'm a Vietnam era Vet. I would like a hormone pannel done but the VA won't unless there is some underlying problem and I have none. I am sure my T is not supper low and if I were to guess what my total T was I suggest it around 600-700. Maybe that's wishful thinking? I do grow muscle but not like I did when I went from 170 lbs. to 190 lbs. in basic training at the age of 19. My highest weight ever was almost 230. I do have 7.5" wrists and 10" ankles so bones are larger than small.

I am willing to add some fat, maybe as high as 12% maybe a little higher but I have no interest in the bulking/cutting mentality. I feel that is very old school and the net gain of muscle is way to much work. If you want to call it making sure you are in a nitrogen positive state with a couple hundred calories over maintenance I'll jump on it. I did ramp my calories up to almost 3K a month ago and I only got leaner while taking in more food. I don't actually like to keep track but I know that when I don't I don't get in enough calories. I intuitively eat at about 2500 cals and have to shove in any more. I am really miserable on any more that about 250g of carbs so I make up with protein and fats.

Right arm. Yes, not only is the biceps fucked up but the whole arm. I used to teach (for 10 years) Jane Fonda aerobics in a very prominent athletic club in Portland, Oregon. We had a complete gymnastics gym and I did adult gymnastics. I was doing a back handspring and landed on my right arm and it dislocated the elbow. I've never been the same since and that was 30 years ago. However the biceps is growing and the triceps is growing even faster. I never realized there was such a difference until I started weight training 7 years ago.

My other injury is a broken clavicle, left side. I fell off my bike during a training ride. I ride for the AIDS LifeCycle charity each year. It's a 550 mile ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles, I've ridden 6 years now and signed up for 2018.

I enjoy being aesthetic and usually have a better body than the younger men in the gym. I have the rest of my life to workout and will.

When I look at some of the Master's winners of out local contests, I blow them away like crazy. Sure many of the men have larger muscle but my conditioning smokes them. Plus somehow I don't have all the extra skin hanging from me yet :).

Phil.

Picture was taken end of T cycle and on my 66th birthday and I had a pump on.

FILE0017.JPG

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic