Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

SST and Cluster Set training

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Can anyone give me a break down of the concepts of cluster sets, and what the Fuck is SST training...

thanks

OMS

CJ Smalls

CJ Smalls

Aug 15, 2020
The concept behind cluster sets is to be able to get more reps at a heavier weight per set than you would've been able do in a straight set.

For example, if you took your 5 rep max on a lift, and performed the lift as a 3-3-3 cluster set, you'd get 9 reps in a set that you normally would only be able to get 5 with.

You would perform 3 reps, rest for a short period, perform another 3 reps, rest a short period, then perform a final 3 reps. That's considered one set.

For the SST Training, google Patrick Tuor SST Training and you'll get that info.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
The concept behind cluster sets is to be able to get more reps at a heavier weight per set than you would've been able do in a straight set.

For example, if you took your 5 rep max on a lift, and performed the lift as a 3-3-3 cluster set, you'd get 9 reps in a set that you normally would only be able to get 5 with.

You would perform 3 reps, rest for a short period, perform another 3 reps, rest a short period, then perform a final 3 reps. That's considered one set.

For the SST Training, google Patrick Tuor SST Training and you'll get that info.

CJS, what is considered the "ideal" rest time in between the clusterd short "sets".....

CJ Smalls

CJ Smalls

Aug 15, 2020
CJS, what is considered the "ideal" rest time in between the clusterd short "sets".....

I personally always use 20 seconds, whether I'm using cluster or rest pause sets.

I think the key is to keep it short enough so that you're not fully recovered, but long enough so you're not totally fatigued either.

I think 15-30 seconds would be a good time, exercise dependant.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Dante C. Doggcrapp workout which is mostly 'rest pause' , he has you take 15 deep breaths between the 3 rest pause sets.
Example; set of 8, rack weight, sit up, take 15 deep breaths, as many resp as you can, repeat 1 more time. When you hit 15 or more total reps you add weight the next workout. As long as your making progress on the total reps each workout and adding weight as you hit target of 15 you can keep using that lift, ie. bench. If you go backwords or even hit the same reps you have to change the lift ie. go from bench to db bench. One of the best workouts Ive ever used, made the best progress ever. Problem is I was to old when I discovered this and kept getting injured due to the fast increases in weight being used.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic