Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Squatting w/ yolk bar

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
After having both hips replaced my doc cleared me to squat again. ive been using one of those bars that have the yolk so you can hold the bar in place in front of your chest to save your shoulders. the only issue I have found is since the bar sits up higher there is more stress on your lower back so I wear a belt and that seems to solve the issue. anyway, I am pathetically weak and am wondering if anyone knows if this bar causes the weight to be heavier so a person will squat less than they are capable with a straight bar?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Do you mean a SSB - safety squat bar?

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Yoke damn it Yoke!
A yolk is the inside of an egg.

Cutt29

Cutt29

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Do you mean a SSB - safety squat bar?

That's what it sounds like he's explaining.

Ray- Most of those bars are 65 not 45 and they distribute weight differently than a standard straight bar. Weight is the same but movement and muscles recruited are different. For most, lb for lb, ssb is harder. As you noted, your lower back is getting worker harder- this is the norm.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I have very poor mobility in my shoulders so getting a great position on the normal bar is hard but we just got in the SSB and I don't care for it. Yes, the handles are way out front to hang on more like a front squat but it places the weight differently IMO and it kills my lower back no matter where I try to hold it.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Make sure when using a SSB you have it set up properly. Many on here talk about holding the bar, but when set properly you don't even have to keep your hands on the bar to keep it in place. The downward slope set up to hold the bar in place works your upper back moreso than your lower. It works well also for those who crane over when squatting or pulling. It makes you tighten your upper back which is vital in squatting and pulling big numbers.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I want one, it's at the top of my wish list for my gym but they're pricy. Even with $75 off.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
Liftinglarge.com has these bars for sale if you want to check out what im talking about. the one im using is the elitefts ss yoke bar. one thing I noticed about this bar recently is if you use a thin pad for your upper back it takes a lot of pressure off your lower back. the pad it comes with is thick. there is also a cambered bar with no front handles but it does take pressure off your shoulders as you get more room to hold the bar on the cambered area. there is also a combo bar that has both the yoke and is cambered. last but certainly least is dave drapers top squat that is basically an attachment so you can hold the bar with front handles. I bought one of these and the only issue is you have to rotate the handles up to take the pressure off your lower back. this one is no longer available.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I bought one from Elite FTS for about $380 delivered. Right now you can buy one from Elitefts for $350 plus deivery. That's not a bad deal at all.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic