Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Squatting issues...

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
ok...in the past I have ALWAYS had a strong squat...been up at 505 (years ago) at one point and usually train up to 375 for 10-12 reps BUT...over this past year I have had two micro tears in my left quad. One was at 225 and another at 275...not even close to heavy weight that I am used to. First time it happened I was on my fourth set...nothing crazy and just heard a POP in outer quad and racked weight. Was sore as hell...no swelling or bruising but did get an MRI and showed micro tear (class 2 sprain)...took about 4 weeks to "feel" normal. Same thing happened again about month and half ago..but this time on INNER upper quad and only at 225.
I just did legs the other day and the fatigue in left quad is insane. I only went to 95 pds...yes...only 95. I did 4 sets of 25 but damn this is getting annoying.

any suggestions??

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
When these things happen you need to get into a physical therapists office to remodel the damaged tissues. Essentially re-learn what to do on the muscles behalf.

You might need to start doing some prehab or mobility work to the hips and quads themselves.

This doesn't mean foam rolling.

I have one or two articles in the injury forum on stuff you can do like distracted stretches and smashing.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
can't this be due to the muscle being too tight..as in no stretching? I mean it makes sense but I'm not sure...I had both my quads "pop" while doing walking lunges a long time ago...they were sore for a while after but ended up not being anything serious.

htu

htu

Jan 15, 2012
As we age, stretching is becoming much more important. I need to focus on that as well. I injured my quad the other day just warming up on the squat and it's hurt now for about a week with some swelling. What is your typical leg workout, LM? Do you hit both quads and hams on the same day?

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
As we age, stretching is becoming much more important. I need to focus on that as well. I injured my quad the other day just warming up on the squat and it's hurt now for about a week with some swelling. What is your typical leg workout, LM? Do you hit both quads and hams on the same day?
I usually do quads and hams on same day. My typical routine is follows.
5 sets of extensions to warm up quads. I don't go heavy per say...just got the muscles warm...then I either will squat or press depending on day. squatting I will start with bar and add 50 pounds a set.

bar x15
95 x15
145 x15
175 x15
225 x10
275 x10
315 x10 (5 sets)

that is my typical squat...if I "feeling GOOD" I will increase weight at 315 but Iam not a powerlifter and at my age I really just go for the pump and maintain leg size. I don't have the same size I used to when I was younger but I don't plan on hitting the stage anytime soon. lol

I will then do some abductor work on machine and then off to leg curls on machine. I will do single curls on machine as well. 5 sets each machine. then finish off with 5 sets of stiff legged deads.

I do calves a few times a week so I usually I don't train on leg day.

I really think I have "twisted" hips from poor habits from when I tore my quad tendon in 2009..that might be something I need to look into

B

bthatch

Jul 8, 2016
How much do you stretch those muscles out before warming them up and starting your routine?

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Muscle fibers should move like a box of spaghetti. Each fiber should be able to move freely in the group. Over time we develop scar tissue and adhesions that bind this all up and cause the muscles to clump or become cable-like and less elastic..... that's when tears happen. Something gets bound up enough to put too much stress somewhere else.

So, you could be hearing scar tissue popping and breaking up, or you could be bound up and tearing muscle.

Either way, a foam roller won't do plop for a serious athlete. Start with some Gua Sha or Graston work, ART, myofacial release... anything like those ( or all of the above) to break the gunk up. Then, keep up on it at home with a softball or shot put. Definitely also look in to getting an X-Wife ( look at what Donnie Thomspon is putting out about body tempering if you don't know about this stuff yet).....

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
ok...in the past I have ALWAYS had a strong squat...been up at 505 (years ago) at one point and usually train up to 375 for 10-12 reps BUT...over this past year I have had two micro tears in my left quad. One was at 225 and another at 275...not even close to heavy weight that I am used to. First time it happened I was on my fourth set...nothing crazy and just heard a POP in outer quad and racked weight. Was sore as hell...no swelling or bruising but did get an MRI and showed micro tear (class 2 sprain)...took about 4 weeks to "feel" normal. Same thing happened again about month and half ago..but this time on INNER upper quad and only at 225.
I just did legs the other day and the fatigue in left quad is insane. I only went to 95 pds...yes...only 95. I did 4 sets of 25 but damn this is getting annoying.

any suggestions??

Been awhile, any updates LM?

LITTLEMAGS

LITTLEMAGS

VIP Member
Nov 1, 2010
Been awhile, any updates LM?
followed a pretty strict rehab program....right now I currently haven't squatted more than 225 in months. I think it really is more mental at this point...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic