Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Squats with smith machine

L

Lifter

Sep 15, 2010
When I do squats with my smith machine I usually dip all the way down. This limits the amount of weight I can handle. I notice that if I dip only half way or so I can handle twice the weight. Should I be doing sets of each? Full dips with lower weight and then half dips with the increased weight? After squats I follow with sets of quad extensions and then leg curls followed by calf raises.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
By dips you mean squats I assume. I would recommend that you not squat in the smith at all, but instead hit the squat rack.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
What pob said.

And no you shouldn't cripple yourself by not working the weak part of your lift.

Partials are for injuries and to work the weak part of your lift IMO.

Fish77

Fish77

VIP Member
Dec 24, 2010
Just like above, full range and not on the smith machine.

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
Smith machine throws your form off while stressing the back. No good!

Start with an empty bar if you gotta, or 2 25 plates- let your ass all the way down and power yourself up. Full range is essential.

You'll be out of the 'embarrassing' low weight range pretty quick if you just do the work.

You'll about never see a well rounded big ol boy that doesn't squat...

Bigherm21

Bigherm21

Apr 12, 2012
Yes good form at a low weight is way better then a shitty squat with alot of weight. Bad form also makes it easier to injure yourself. the smith puts to much stress and weight on your back. You need your own free motion to lift with just your legs and not your back.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
I actually alternate between the smith and free wieght and I personly find the smith works well for me.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
The thing to remember with a smith machine is that you have to move your feet out in front of you. This way you will be in the correct position at the bottom. otherwise you will end up being in a bent over type position. Try to enviision a hack squat type of position at the top. If the smith machine is all you have access to then by all means squat there. If you have access to a rack, that is far better choice for development and safety from injury.

Fury, I have a good friend in his early 50's that is built like a brick outhouse and does his whole routine on a smith machine, has ever since I have known him. Everyone in the gym clowns him for it. It works for him though. The3 running joke is if he could figure out a way to curl in the smith machine he would.

Last edited:
N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Smith squats ate like zercher squats.. just don't.

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
The thing to remember with a smith machine is that you have to move your feet out in front of you. This way you will be in the correct position at the bottom. otherwise you will end up being in a bent over type position. Try to enviision a hack squat type of position at the top. If the smith machine is all you have access to then by all means squat there. If you have access to a rack, that is far better choice for development and safety from injury.

Fury, I have a good friend in his early 50's that is built like a brick outhouse and does his whole routine on a smith machine, has ever since I have known him. Everyone in the gym clowns him for it. It works for him though. The3 running joke is if he could figure out a way to curl in the smith machine he would.

That's what I do when I sometimes work out at the Planet Fitness near my house (lol go ahead with the PF jokes!). To use a smith for squats you just got to find the sweet spot where the movement is more natural and not so awkward.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
Maybe as a final finisher do the smith on occasion, but dont replace real squats with it

StrongLyfe

StrongLyfe

Mr. Worxx
Aug 25, 2012
Maybe as a final finisher do the smith on occasion, but dont replace real squats with it

Agreed but sometimes you got to make do with what's available like some hotel gyms just might have a smith machine for example.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic