Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Squat form troubles

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
So now that I'm squatting for weight not just big fat quads. My form is "correct" and I'm in the mid 4's
However when I cross into higher reps at 85% to 95% my right knee buckles inward slightly to noticeable. My strongman coach has me squatting more and focusing on pressing my knee out on the up. However my inner body builder knows this is the result of an imbalance and despratly wants accessory work to help.
He refuses.
What muscle / movement should I try?
Squats n leg development have always been a horcrux to me

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Start front squatting and hitting those lunges w/ a barbell.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Start front squatting and hitting those lunges w/ a barbell.

You think? My knees are more narrow on front squats. Seems like that may strengthen the already dominant muscles.
My thinking was the imbalance came from all the stone loading which is essentially an odd front squat.
Idk tho. Just looking for supporting logic.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You think? My knees are more narrow on front squats. Seems like that may strengthen the already dominant muscles.
My thinking was the imbalance came from all the stone loading which is essentially an odd front squat.
Idk tho. Just looking for supporting logic.

If you're taking a wide stance in your squat and your knee is caving in then it's a technical problem and not a weaker adductor in comparison to your abductor.

You should be externally rotating your femur when you squat. It's essentially the same thing you should do with your elbow when you bench.

Reactions: 5.0
Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
If you're taking a wide stance in your squat and your knee is caving in then it's a technical problem and not a weaker adductor in comparison to your abductor.

You should be externally rotating your femur when you squat. It's essentially the same thing you should do with your elbow when you bench.

I am having a hard time processing this. AKA idk what you mean by that

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I am having a hard time processing this. AKA idk what you mean by that

What don't you understand? The technique issue causing your knee to buckle or externally rotating your femur when you squat? Rotating your femur will also make difficult for your knee to cave inward.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'll post a video. It's hard to envision with words.

Here's a vid with Donnie explaining it to help you see what I'm talking about:

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Contrary opinion: Your arch is collapsing.

Daily:
1. Roll the arch of your foot for a couple minutes on a small diameter PVC pipe.
2. Sit down, grab one foot with both hands and start shoving your fingers between all your toes at the same time. Slowly work them in. Then start rotating and twisting.
3. Stretch each calf with knee bent for 2 min then knee straight 2 min.

Pre workout
1. Floss the ankle
2. Bodyweight goblet squat focusing on grabbing the floor between heel and ball of foot. Don't let the toes come off the floor. 3 x 10

When you squat cue up your feet and make sure you flex the arch. Film with Cam on floor behind you pointed at heels.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Contrary opinion: Your arch is collapsing.

Daily:
1. Roll the arch of your foot for a couple minutes on a small diameter PVC pipe.
2. Sit down, grab one foot with both hands and start shoving your fingers between all your toes at the same time. Slowly work them in. Then start rotating and twisting.
3. Stretch each calf with knee bent for 2 min then knee straight 2 min.

Pre workout
1. Floss the ankle
2. Bodyweight goblet squat focusing on grabbing the floor between heel and ball of foot. Don't let the toes come off the floor. 3 x 10

When you squat cue up your feet and make sure you flex the arch. Film with Cam on floor behind you pointed at heels.

Whoa!!! Maybe bro! I have a major foot arch. This is the first theory that was like whoa. That very very could be.

M

musto

Oct 14, 2018
Is there any chance you can see a coach? If there is an SSC near by you may want to go see them.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Is there any chance you can see a coach? If there is an SSC near by you may want to go see them.

I have a coach. I just am not 100% with his fix. He doesnt think its as big a deal because of the levels its happening at. So were just squatting more to fix it basically

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic