Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Squat form tips

F

fdny2pa

Apr 9, 2015
Trying to get back into squatting, always have had had form difficulties (mostly my knees go over my toes). Suggestions to correct this?

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I don't believe knees over toes is a problem. The problem is when knees are not aligned with toes i.e. feet. They either go inside or outside.
The power position would be with the levers aligned (knees aligned with feet).

Lots and lots of hip mobility exercises. lots of shoulder and back mobility to keep elbows down. but really, the hips need to be very mobile to
get into a deep squat. Stretching your calves out helps quite a bit. It's all out there. Good luck!

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
If you want any meaningful feedback the best thing to do is post a decent video of you squatting.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Forward knee travel isn't a bad thing and is common with ALL med stance raw squatters. If you're having problems.... post a vid and let us see what's actually going on.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
Knee drift isn't bad necessarily. When you descend in your squat, at around a medium stance you want the path of the bar to "split" through the center of your quads. This will effectively load the quads and allow you to push out of the hole without doing a good morning.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I don't have the best mobility but getting there.
Here's close/medium stance with feet slightly out and knees drifting over toes
455lb for reference
MDknqBZ.jpg

E

Eup

Mar 13, 2015
Squats tips

Watch a few you tube videos my best advice would be correct spinal position and a secret so many don't understand is the top of your quad has to be parallel to the floor or below parallel if you can handle the weight. Watch people squat at the gym so many never even do those two basics. I don't squat heavy anymore I'm older and don't want to screw my joints up I stay with a max of 225 but watching your form, really contracting the muscles and squeezing will give you great results almost as much as double the weight.

Also be aware different stances stress different parts of the quad closer more towards the outer farther apart more toward the center and inner even toes pointed out hit the inner more so I suggest a good overall medium stance with 5 lbs under your heal will stress the front quad more less strain on your back. Also machines have great advantages like hack squat more load on the front quads also if you want to practice balance and form just start with a barbell front squat this will really teach you balance and position light weight with just 135lbs is plenty many trainers and pros have people start squatting like this as it teaches you balance and form.

Last edited:
myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
I agree with the knee over the toe thing being overblown by personal trainers. some suggest almost complete vertical shin position that it shuts down quad involvement and shifts all to hams and glutes. My knee suffered greatly for years for attempting that when I'm naturally quad dominant. last time I'm listening to a trainer that's 160lbs...

TheExperiment

TheExperiment

May 29, 2013
I have very bad pain when I squat right below my knee cap. It feels like the inside of my knee if going to explode out of the front of me knee. I don't know if its due to a weakened patella tendon being weak or damaged throughout the years playing sports and lifting. I literally cannot do squats anymore and rely on using the leg press machine. I've had an MRI done on one of the knee's and it came back negative so I don't know what the deal is. And I feel it in both knees.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Here is how I learned to squat.

First, decide whether to hold the bar high on your traps (base of the neck) or low, (down below the top of your trap, and resting on your rear delts). Then set the racks so when you stand up with the bar, the bar is 1" to 3" above the racks.

If you are on a static rack, step back and set your feet. If you are under a competition rack that moves, stay where you are and let them retract the rack.

Set your feet so they are comfortable distance, about shoulder wide, toes pointing out slightly.

Take a deep breath and hold it, pressing out on your belt (this is why we wear a belt while squatting, to give us tension on our mid section). As you squat, first break at the hip and thrust your butt back as though you are going to sit on a toilet. Squat until you are ATG. Keep your head up and back tensed, continue holding your breath and don't exhale yet. Stand back up, leading with your head, holding your breath and keeping pressure on your belted midsection. Clench your legs and butt as you reach the top. Exhale at the top.

My coach said don't let your knees go past your toes. It is okay if they go forward, but they should not go past your toes.

If your knees go past your toes, you are not sitting back far enough. Remember you should be sitting back as though you are going down onto a toilet. If you have trouble sitting back, try letting your head go forward, but keep the tension in your back and don't round your back, keep it flat to slightly arched.

Last edited:
JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
If you're tall, long-limbed, have very narrow hips, or whatever, you may not be suited for squatting.

With that said, they are an invaluable exercise IMO for those of us who are able to squat regularly over many years without any issues. I learned a long time ago not to try to stay "upright" - I've always allowed my torso to lean forward somewhat, and I always "break" at the hips before the knees.

I'm personally short and short-legged, and they've always come natural for me. I've also never used knee wraps or any kind of suits, and I only use a belt when needed on the heaviest sets - I've never been one of those people who walks around with a belt on during entire workouts.

I've never had any serious or chronic issues with knees, hips, or lower back. Shoulders are another story though.

J

Jeffbcause

Apr 25, 2015
I'm having the same issue. Physical therapist suggested better (yoga type) stretches for quads on my recovery days. I'm still having pain but I am able to complete squats with mild pain. He also mention if it is the tendon it might take a while to heal so stretching and icing are the two best remedies. Ibuprofen is also recommended but like all men I am not a fan.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic