Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Spongbob needs a home!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
spongebob, spongebob came in on monday. he is an 8 week old corgi. he had been hit by the neighbors car on friday and was dragging his back end around and wouldnt use his left rear leg. xrays revealed a broken femur. the owners elected to have him euthanized as they didnt want to pay to have it fixed. luckily i came back as they were getting ready to do the deed and told them that we should offer to allow them to donate him to the clinic and we would fix the leg and find him a home. thankfully, they took that option and signed him over. the owner said that her husband didnt like the dog anyway.

i was going to try and fix it yesterday but we were too busy. so today was the day.

IMG_8462.jpg

IMG_8466.jpg

IMG_8476.jpg

this was this morning. zac has such a tender heart for all the puppies and kittens. he gave him the name spongebob.

surgery was way more difficult than i had expected. i really didnt know what to expect as i have never fixed a leg on a puppy this young or this small. the bones are sooooo small. took a few tries to find the right size pin as the way the bone was fractured and the shortness of it made it difficult to find the medullary cavity. i finally got it figured out and passed the pin with just the chuck as the bones are very soft. i was very pleased with how well it all came together! and also that spongebob lived through surgery as anesthesia is very hard on these youngsters.

IMG_8574.jpg

IMG_8577.jpg

i will keep you all updated. will probably only leave the pin in for 3 or 4 weeks at most. babies heal incredibly fast and the tip is in the growth plate and i dont want to retard the growth in his little bone. even though it isnt going to grow much anyway :D we will be looking for a home for him so if anybody is interested, let me know!

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Wow, it's hard not to feel all mushy inside when you hear a story like this. A very capable dog that was essentially "doomed" was saved by the doc herself. Congratulations on such a successful surgery and I wish Spongebob the best. I know he will find a good home with some people that actually appreciate him. How could you not like a dog so much that you wouldn't care if it was dead? I just don't get some people....then again I'm an animal lover so I guess it's diffferent with me.

I just want to say again that I really appreciate what you do for these little critters and love to hear about it :)

A

antonbrn

Mar 27, 2011
I feel sorry for any dog that gets hurt. They are the best pet a person can have. I hope the he gets a good home soon.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm sure that lil guy will find an awesome family. He's a cutie and again thanks for saving the lil guy. I find it crazy that some people could discard an animal like that. Thanks to you, he'll have long happy life now.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I think my American Bulldog would eat the poor little guy. Why the hell would anyone get a puppy and not want to take care of it if it got hurt?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
you would be amazed at how many people kill them rather than fix them. it is sad and they alway blame us because they dont want to pay to have them fixed. somehow they think that we should do it for free because we are a vet clinic and we must love animals and so we should fix them and not expect to get paid for it. which, if i could, i would but it is a business and i have employees to pay and expenses to pay. it isnt a cheap business to run. the worst part is the people that bitch the most are the ones that are driving a brand new vehicle and are covered in bling! makes me all very crabby!

but spongebob is doing great! he has recovered very well!

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Some people just don't have their priorities straight. They have a dog as an "accessory" rather than a pet. Hell, I know some people who treat their dogs just like a child....and honestly, that's the way it should be. If you think of it that way, you would never euthanize your own child because you couldn't pay to have something fixed. I would do what it took to get the job done, take out loans, borrow money from friends, start up a collection in the neighborhood, whatever it took. I really think a large amount of people who buy dogs as pets are entirely incapable of taking care of them. You cannot buy a dog and expect it to "grow up" like your children. I'm sorry for the rant it's just that this type of stuff disgusts me and I'm glad there are people around like Doc to pick up the pieces and give these animals another chance at life....Bravo

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
let me tell you, there is rarely a day that goes by that someone doesnt come in and have a sick or injured pet that they cant afford to care for. many of them dont even have $40 for the initial exam! if you dont have a spare $40 than you shouldnt own a pet! they are a privledge to own and if you cant afford one, dont get one! i understand that most people cant come up with $500-1000 at one time and i work with a lot of them for payments, but they have to be able to come up with a few hundred to get things started.

last month this woman came in a brand new cadillac wearing diamonds and a coach purse and top of the line jeans and didnt even have $20 to try and help her dog! then she blamed us for the fact that her dog was going to die because we wouldnt treat it! luckily i was outside working on a horse and my tech dealt with her!

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
^^^Not many people know, but Get Some was a shelter rescue.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Doc .I cannot tell you how much it is appreciated that vet's take payments. I have had to sink some money into a few of my animals.i had one place that asked me to cough up 700 bucks for a surgery .I told them I had 400 and got paid in two days.they refused me .I even offered my car title as a good faith measure. I was able to find a vet clinic that would take my payment and my ferett lived.
Anyways just a personal thankyou from me.
Many people have big dreams if they ever won the lotto.If I did I would buy a big piece of property and run a no kill shelter .
And who could not fall in love with that little guy! People pay big money for corgie's. Hell I'd take him if I didnt already have way too many dogs .

airagee23

airagee23

MuscleHead
Dec 27, 2010
Doc .I cannot tell you how much it is appreciated that vet's take payments. I have had to sink some money into a few of my animals.i had one place that asked me to cough up 700 bucks for a surgery .I told them I had 400 and got paid in two days.they refused me .I even offered my car title as a good faith measure. I was able to find a vet clinic that would take my payment and my ferett lived.
Anyways just a personal thankyou from me.
Many people have big dreams if they ever won the lotto.If I did I would buy a big piece of property and run a no kill shelter .
And who could not fall in love with that little guy! People pay big money for corgie's. Hell I'd take him if I didnt already have way too many dogs .

Your right RR. I have 2 Great Danes and my lil one has Myasthenia gravis. I took her to Virginia Techs animal hospital and it cost my 1500 for 5 days. Thank goodness for payments. I hope that lil Spongebob finds a good home. Im sure he will. And I also hope that the guy who owned the dog gets hit by a car and people just drive by and not help him either.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic