Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Spinal Decompression

S

sprawl33

Aug 15, 2013
Decompression at the chiro did the trick for me...took a few trips and I was already getting adjusted a few times a week but made a big difference in recovery.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
http://youtu.be/eixkcrX_Qh8

Donnie Thompson is not only a physical therapist but also a multi time, all-time record holder in powerlifting.... he has a few dozen videos on rehab and prehab stuff that have helped me a lot.
I've used this one myself just about every week, twice a week for the last few months. It works.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
http://youtu.be/eixkcrX_Qh8

Donnie Thompson is not only a physical therapist but also a multi time, all-time record holder in powerlifting.... he has a few dozen videos on rehab and prehab stuff that have helped me a lot.
I've used this one myself just about every week, twice a week for the last few months. It works.

I hung up Uphill in the mono today. We'll be doing this weekly as we approach the meet.

49ER

Aug 21, 2013
I dont have major back issues but I do have nagging low back pain inversion table works wonders to decompress my back

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I hung up Uphill in the mono today. We'll be doing this weekly as we approach the meet.

Awesome. I do it after heavy sessions and before conditioning and bench work. Let me know if it helps you guys at all.
The first time is definitely the scariest though. If anything goes wrong you end up with your pants around your ankles, stuck upside down like a big retarded tuna stuck in a net...

I don't have time now, but if you search Donnies videos he does another one on strengthening the area by holding a plate, sitting on the floor - legs straight out - and walking forward and backward just using your lower back to pivot your hips. It's helped a lot too.

H

heavy hitter

Oct 7, 2013
i just put on straps and hang from a chin bar. your feet have to be able to touch the floor in order to deload the spine though

BEASTZ6

BEASTZ6

Sep 15, 2013
I am 62 years old, and a long time weight lifter. I am sure that I have some serious spinal compression. To top that off, I was doing some heavy t-bar rows that resulted in sciatica issues that lasted for 3 months. I am going to try an inversion table first to see if I get some relief.

A

alterntego

Apr 2, 2011
That was a goldmine . thank you so very much .

porky little kegl said:

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
My dad got the back surgery and on his bad days he gets around with a wheel chair.
On his ok days he gets around with a walker.
And on his good days he gets around with a cane. (Which is not often.)

My point is this: Surgery should be your last option.

Try the inversion boots. They are just like the inversion table but without the back support. (Tough to get up though when your hanging upside down, if your abs ain't up to it.)

And that old school cat was right: Proper form is a must.

But who is to say that your form wasn't already proper and this is just genetic.

Also knew one other cat who did the decompress. Helped him a lot but he had to go in for a monthly tune-up for about a year. Which turned out to be very expensive. (But he comes from a family of money so no problem.)

The best of luck brother.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
HNP Spinal Surgery is THE LAST OPTION, on spot PEPINO. In fact there are only TWO INDICATIONS; !) loss of bowel or bladder control 2) inability in walk because of motor weakness rather than pain. Collectively this condition is often referred to as CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME

JIM

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Collectively this condition is often referred to as CAUDA EQUINA SYNDROME
Correct me if I am wrong, but I would imagine this condition to be extremely uncommon for a powerlifter, bodybuilder etc. It could be a possibility if they had managed to herniate a disc at some stage, but even then you are only looking at a very small percentage of herniated lumbar discs that evolve into Cauda equina syndrome.

Like PLK and others have mentioned, regular bar hangs and other exercises that decompress the spine will work wonders as preventative measures.

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Correct me if I am wrong, but I would imagine this condition to be extremely uncommon for a powerlifter, bodybuilder etc. It could be a possibility if they had managed to herniate a disc at some stage, but even then you are only looking at a very small percentage of herniated lumbar discs that evolve into Cauda equina syndrome.

Indeed that is correct fortunately CE is RARE but HNP is by far the most common cause. So why do I mention it? Because it's the ONLY bonafied reason to have a "laminectomy" to relieve the nerve root compression from a HNP. THE absolute WORST REASON IS ISOLATED PAIN and to a lesser extent that includes RADICULAR PAIN. Fact is 20-30% of ASYMPTOMATIC ADULTS will have a HNP!

More importantly because the VERTEBRAL DISKS are comprised of at least 95% WATER once herniation occurs, the water condenses and is resorbed into the central circulation. The latter process remarkably shrinks the disk which relieves the root compression! FOR THIS VERY REASON EXCEPTING CES surgery may and should be delayed at least ONE YEAR in almost ALL PATIENTS, IMO. (Also the current recommendation of the ACOS, and ACNS)

I mean look at the data on decompressive laminectomies, it sucks, with the majority of patients still in pain or worse three years later.

Like PLK and others have mentioned, regular bar hangs and other exercises that decompress the spine will work wonders as preventative measures.

There is absolutely NO DATA inversion therapy anatomically decompresses the spine, none! Why? Because the spine is held together with overlapping and redundant ligamentous lattice. What inversion therapy IS successful at treating is MUSCLE SPAMS. Now that's important because biomechanic musculoskeletal muscle spasm is THE UNEQUIVOCAL LEADING CAUSE OF BACK PAIN without rival

So my advice to damn near every patient who inquires about surgery for a HNP (absent CES) DON'T!!!

HEY THANKS FOR THE QUESTIONS MATE!

JIM

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic