RalfKelleh
What's New?

Spartan Laboratories Busted

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
dyodh4.jpg

PANAMA CITY — Deputies are warning anyone who may have used illegal steroids created in Panama City Beach homes by Spartan Laboratories to consult a doctor because of the side effects known users are reporting.

An investigation by the Bay County Sheriff’s Office led to the seizure last week of homemade steroids with a street value of approximately $1 million, said Capt. Faith Bell. Authorities said the trio sold the drugs through online forums and person-to-person at local gyms. They also said their so-called lab was not safe. "It is being manufactured in a kitchen, in a house, bedroom somewhere non-sterile environment, then sold to people to inject," said Bell.

“We were also hearing that people were getting sick … and we don’t know if it’s from the steroids itself or from the stuff in it,” Bell said. “Of the ones we’ve talked to, they were all experiencing some of complications from it.”

Many of the vials recovered were marked “sterile,” though Bell doesn’t believe that’s the case. Some vials had residue coating the inside while others did not, and some vials had small pieces of debris floating inside. The cook plate deputies seized appeared anything but sterile.

Bell said the operation was “very primitive,” and urged anyone who might have used the steroids to see a doctor. Side effects Bell said she is aware of include chest pain and coughing.

Garret George, 23, Mitchell Hardy, 29, and Christopher Gipson, 21, have all been arrested on possession charges, and George faces a charge for manufacturing controlled substances. The “labs” were operational at least six months, Bell said. None of the men arrested have any medical training or background that Bell was aware of.

Deputies are continuing to investigate with the help of federal agents, and additional arrests are expected, Bell said.

Non-medical use of anabolic steroids, the type of performance enhancing steroids synonymous with bodybuilders, Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong, are dangerous as is, said University of Florida pharmacy professor Paul Doering. But when the steroids have been created outside of a lab setting, users are playing “Russian roulette,” and could be at risk of anything from infection to overdose.

“These drugs are dangerous enough in the hands of smart people,” Doering said. “The good news is these are injected into the muscle and not the vain; the bad news is it’s injected into the muscle.”

Dr. Carlon Colker is the author of “Extreme Muscle Enhancement” and a physician in Connecticut; part of his practice includes treating men who have used steroids without a legitimate medical purpose. He said the use of anabolic steroids has become “profoundly common” among bodybuilders regardless of whether they’re competitive.

“The designer, or ‘garage-made’—steroids are of particular concern,” Colker said. “The side effects we don’t know … which is the scary part of it.”

“Weekend alchemists,” as Colker referred to untrained steroid cooks, create their product in uncontrolled settings, potentially introducing unknown substances. The product is then sold on a “huge black market” without any testing or quality control.

“You can unload this stuff as easily as painkillers,” Colker said.

Doering was careful not to call the process George, Hardy and Gipson were allegedly using manufacturing. It would be more accurate to call it compounding, basically converting materials from powdered form to liquid, he said. He said China is the primary source for powdered steroids, and that he’s never seen an illegal steroid compounding operation that didn’t at least have someone with a medical background involved.

“I’m just flabbergasted that that kind of thing goes on,” Doering said. “I would urge those receiving these compounds to cease and desist.”

Side effects from anabolic steroids manufactured in a laboratory setting can include heart problems, the development of female breast tissue in male users, increased cholesterol levels, liver failure or cancer of the liver if the drugs are ingested orally, and of course, sterility, Colker said.

Rfagazzi

Rfagazzi

MuscleHead
Mar 15, 2012
Oh damn! Lol...chest pain & coughing....uuummmm..... Tren cough perhaps?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
is this the dude from PM who was always saying douchebag stuff like BOOOOMMMM M-Fer?

Rfagazzi

Rfagazzi

MuscleHead
Mar 15, 2012
is this the dude from PM who was always saying douchebag stuff like BOOOOMMMM M-Fer?

Yes it was. I love the scare tactics they are trying to use. GO SEE A DOCTOR! Or else....

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I would have to agree with the authorities about the lack of safety these untrained chemists (giving them too much credit using the term chemists) used. What these clowns did was buy vials and never sanitized them. Almost all vials come contaminated with some sort of foreign debris inside. Usually its silica. The difference between a sanitized vial and one that is not is night and day. Its also not uncommon to find bug parts inside the vials. You really think a reseller of vials store the vials in a sterile environment? Of coarse not, they are stored in a dirty warehouse. And I am not even touching the surface on the bacteria or spores that are inside the vials. Again these kids put the health of innocent customers at risk.

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
I agree. Many of us down play the health risk of gear, concerning the compound itself. We are pretty educated on how to use aas safely, the health risk, and side effects... That stuff is pretty well ironed out.

My main health concern is exactly this. I have a feeling that many labs are made under similar environments... Large scale home brew, made by people with no chemisty background. That is a genuine concern.

I would have to agree with the authorities about the lack of safety these untrained chemists (giving them too much credit using the term chemists) used. What these clowns did was buy vials and never sanitized them. Almost all vials come contaminated with some sort of foreign debris inside. Usually its silica. The difference between a sanitized vial and one that is not is night and day. Its also not uncommon to find bug parts inside the vials. You really think a reseller of vials store the vials in a sterile environment? Of coarse not, they are stored in a dirty warehouse. And I am not even touching the surface on the bacteria or spores that are inside the vials. Again these kids put the health of innocent customers at risk.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
The non sterile part is a bigger concern for users. Mixing compounds is not rocket science, but keeping the environment around u as sterile as possible takes a great deal of planning and knowledge.

irish_2003

irish_2003

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
go see a doctor...cause they have to report illegal drug use to local authorities...they want people to go tell on themselves...smh

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
go see a doctor...cause they have to report illegal drug use to local authorities...they want people to go tell on themselves...smh

Really? I know hippa allows info to be disclosed to law enforcement under a variety of circumstances, but never heard it was required. Do you know if that's a state law or under hipaa guidelines.

When I went to the doc for an abcess, they didn't even note in their file the cause of the infection, to keep it off the books.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
These guys were douchebags.

irish_2003

irish_2003

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
Really? I know hippa allows info to be disclosed to law enforcement under a variety of circumstances, but never heard it was required. Do you know if that's a state law or under hipaa guidelines.

When I went to the doc for an abcess, they didn't even note in their file the cause of the infection, to keep it off the books.

i only know for fact on voluntary drug detox or voluntary admission...a friend went to local hospital all geeked up and wanted to quit and the cops were outside waiting and followed him after his release later that evening...could be local or state only applied

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
The older and wiser I get, the more it holds true that you get what you pay for. When it comes to almost anything, I don't want a sweetheart deal. I just want a quality product at a reasonable price. I have no illusions that you get a cadillac when you pay for a chevy. I think many times we simply disengage our brain, because we want to believe that you'll get something for nothing.

These guys selling cheap ass gear are not taking the precautions needed to provide it safely. For us to think otherwise is just plain foolish.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic