Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Some recent reverse band work (squat & deadlift vids)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Pinned? I've never failed on a squat in my life. True story. I'll work on the explosive stuff. It's hard for me. All my lifts are slow and determined.

The pause makes the lift more difficult b/c you're taking out the stretch reflex which helps you perform the lift. You want to perform the rep as fast as possible while maintaining proper form.... a controlled fast rep.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
The pause makes the lift more difficult b/c you're taking out the stretch reflex which helps you perform the lift. You want to perform the rep as fast as possible while maintaining proper form.... a controlled fast rep.

Wouldn't this be goal dependent though? I'm not disagreeing with you guys because you are correct. Just bringing up that the way flex is doing this could be beneficial as well, especially building strength in the isometric contraction which in turn could help with overall strength. When I perform lifts with a pause like that, I usually rotate it in with other speeds as well.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Wouldn't this be goal dependent though? I'm not disagreeing with you guys because you are correct. Just bringing up that the way flex is doing this could be beneficial as well, especially building strength in the isometric contraction which in turn could help with overall strength. When I perform lifts with a pause like that, I usually rotate it in with other speeds as well.

With bar weight yes. With band tension no. The point of the bands is to force you to come flying out of the whole as explosively as possible to push through the band tension.

I would say tho that bands are a lot of fun no matter what you do!

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
With bar weight yes. With band tension no. The point of the bands is to force you to come flying out of the whole as explosively as possible to push through the band tension.

I would say tho that bands are a lot of fun no matter what you do!

Dohhh! Lol I let myself forget about the bands. I've only used bands with a few lifts. I'd like to toss em in more often. I need to get my hands on some. I love using them on barbell curls.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

I'd argue that you should be explosive independent of whether you're using straight bar weight or bands. Perform a movement as explosively to produce the greatest amount of power to move that weight. Moving the weight slowly makes performing the lift more difficult and it will catch up to the lifter at some point. Train the lifts slowly and you will be slow.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I'd argue that you should be explosive independent of whether you're using straight bar weight or bands. Perform a movement as explosively to produce the greatest amount of power to move that weight. Moving the weight slowly makes performing the lift more difficult and it will catch up to the lifter at some point. Train the lifts slowly and you will be slow.

Yeah I see what you're saying BI, by as far as hypertrophy I think using both methods and alternating or at least using the slower methods occasionally is a great thing. But for power, explosiveness, and speed there is absolutely no argument, you're right. Especially for power athletes. Nothing like an explosive squat to the top with a monster squeeze!

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Train the lifts slowly and you will be slow.

Slow fat old dude checking in. :D

But seriously I will try to incorporate some more explosive lifts in my routine.

One thing I truly appreciate about this site is good solid honest feedback, as opposed to endless "attaboys".

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Slow fat old dude checking in. :D

But seriously I will try to incorporate some more explosive lifts in my routine.

One thing I truly appreciate about this site is good solid honest feedback, as opposed to endless "attaboys".

Lol amen flex. Regardless of out level of expertise in this lifestyle, the honest feedback from the outside is what we all really need. I know I appreciate the hell out of it. Gotta love the den brother!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic