Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Some info on Cholesterol

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Thought I'd share a post written elsewhere by a buddy of mine. He's recently turned to Keto style eating and has really been doing a lot of research and learning a good bit. I like anti-establishment stuff (things that expose it's BS), and this is a good example:

* I took a blood test about 3.5 weeks into Keto. My LDL, the so-called "bad" cholesterol, was high. So what does that mean? First off, LDL (and HDL) aren't even cholesterol. They're lipoproteins that carry cholesterol through the blood, from the liver (where cholesterol is made) to cells, where it resides and does its job. In other words, LDL & HDL blood test results don't measure cholesterol, but rather measure the number of "taxis" in the blood that are carrying cholesterol. An interesting distinction. LDL carries new cholesterol to the cells. HDL carries existing cholesterol from the cells back to the liver to be recycled. Both are absolutely necessary. But here's the thing; it is the cells (via the lipoprotein receptors) that are 100% responsible for regulating the amount of cholesterol in the blood. And the cells do their job correctly! That's a really important principle to understand. At this point I need to make a statement that is based on material too voluminous to write out here. There is no such thing as good or bad cholesterol. In fact, I've known for about 15 years that the supposed link between cholesterol and heart disease was a highly questionable hypothesis by the medical community. That was confirmed in early 2017 when research was release based on tracking 68,000 people showing that 80% of the people who died of heart disease did NOT have high LDL (the supposed "bad" cholesterol) and the majority of people who died of heart disease had lower LDL! So much for the medical community's "cholesterol hypothesis". Botton Line: What you've been told about cholesterol by the medical community - and the media parroting the medical community - is utter bullshit. In the opening paragraph I posed the question, "What does it mean that my LDL increased on the Keto diet?" Answer: Not a thing. It's meaningless. When it comes to lipids what does matter? What matters are triglycerides. High triglycerides ARE a problem! So where are my triglycerides? With 150mg/dL being considered the ceiling of what is safe and healthy, and 50mg/dL considered the floor, I'm at 82. In other words, I'm a healthy motherfucker!

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Interesting. I've been doing the Carbnite type diet the last month (one carb refeed day weekly). Results have been good so far. I've been interested to see how my lipids look when I have blood work with the Dr again in July.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I've heard of it but don't know much about it. What have you noticed after a month's time? How's your diet through the week up till the carb blast?

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I've heard of it but don't know much about it. What have you noticed after a month's time? How's your diet through the week up till the carb blast?

Under 30 grams of carbs a day except Sunday (or any other day you pick). 10 day "reset" before your first refeed. Then you can have one meal with high carbs. I've lost about 10lbs and a few inches off my waist this month. Feel good overall. I'm not really a competitive powerlifter anymore so I don't care much about strength and performance drop. I was always to scared to go low carb when I was still an athlete or powerlifting. That said, I don't feel like I've lost much strength. But I was way off my old maxes to begin with, and know I'm prob never getting back there. I look full and lean on Monday's after the refeed.

I'm liking the diet. I'm going to run it at least until memorial day and see how lean I get. I know you can lose weight on any kind of calorie restriction. I've never gone low carb outside of quick weight cuts for meets, and I wanted to give it an honest go.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Under 30 grams of carbs a day except Sunday (or any other day you pick). 10 day "reset" before your first refeed. Then you can have one meal with high carbs. I've lost about 10lbs and a few inches off my waist this month. Feel good overall. I'm not really a competitive powerlifter anymore so I don't care much about strength and performance drop. I was always to scared to go low carb when I was still an athlete or powerlifting. That said, I don't feel like I've lost much strength. But I was way off my old maxes to begin with, and know I'm prob never getting back there. I look full and lean on Monday's after the refeed.

I'm liking the diet. I'm going to run it at least until memorial day and see how lean I get. I know you can lose weight on any kind of calorie restriction. I've never gone low carb outside of quick weight cuts for meets, and I wanted to give it an honest go.

Thanks for your reply DYS!
I'm intrigued. I've done "similar" (cycling carbs) and had good results, but I'm curious how this would work for me.
A few questions if you don't mind: Since you've been limiting carbs, have you increased your fats (like standard keto style)?
Has your overall caloric intake been reduced, or does it wind up being close as a result of increased fats (if that's what you've done)?
If reduced (calories), by how much?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic