Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

So....when did macros stop being important?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
So I'm on youtube looking at some vids that someone linked in my facebook feed. Greg Doucette among others seem to be on the calories in calories out kick while apparently macros no longer matter now. What in the holy fuck started this trend? What is wrong with people now? Like, basic common sense stuff most of us have know to be true for 30+ years and even before that seems to no longer apply now? Did I miss something?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
Eventually I don’t need to count them after years of knowing what your doing .. Counting everything your eating turns into a job .

I get that, but apparently I been doing it the hard way all these years. I can eat chicken breasts, lean beef and veggies or potatoes and rice with sugar on top and it doesn't matter as long as I'm eating less calories than I was before.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
if they're just talking about losing weight and not body composition then that is correct.

Except it's not. Macros matter a hell of a lot more than calories in calories out. The fattest I've ever been in my life I was eating around 2,500 calories mostly from potatoes, salades, bread etc. I upped the calories to 3,800-4,000 and dropped 71 pounds in 9 months eating about 90% eggs and meat. I have seen thousands of people do the same over the years.

Later in life I moved and was poor for a while. Eating two packs of ramen noodles per day and got fat as fuck. That's about 800 calories per day. Calories matter but macros are EVERYTHING.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I've never paid much attention to fat and carbs.

I just minimize sugar, try to hit my protein goal, and hit my calories.

When I was younger I really tried to time my carbs for optimal growth but honestly it never made a difference.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Except it's not. Macros matter a hell of a lot more than calories in calories out. The fattest I've ever been in my life I was eating around 2,500 calories mostly from potatoes, salades, bread etc. I upped the calories to 3,800-4,000 and dropped 71 pounds in 9 months eating about 90% eggs and meat. I have seen thousands of people do the same over the years.

Later in life I moved and was poor for a while. Eating two packs of ramen noodles per day and got fat as fuck. That's about 800 calories per day. Calories matter but macros are EVERYTHING.

I guess everyone is different. It doesn't matter what I eat, if I consistently eat less than my TDEE then I lose weight. That includes McDonald's, pizza, etc.

Maybe you started losing weight when you upped the cals because you weren't upregulated? Similar to losing weight after a cut then starting the reverse diet and increasing cals. I continued to lose weight after a cut with increased cals myself.

There's a lot of factors but in general, most people will lose weight if they eat less than their TDEE no matter the quality or macro content of the food.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I guess everyone is different. It doesn't matter what I eat, if I consistently eat less than my TDEE then I lose weight. That includes McDonald's, pizza, etc.

Maybe you started losing weight when you upped the cals because you weren't upregulated? Similar to losing weight after a cut then starting the reverse diet and increasing cals. I continued to lose weight after a cut with increased cals myself.

There's a lot of factors but in general, most people will lose weight if they eat less than their TDEE no matter the quality or macro content of the food.

I wish I could do that. Unless I'm on a pretty good cycle I get fat with anything over 100-150 grams of carbs per day. My body just wont handle them. Pretty much the only way I can lean out is high protein/Fat very low carb and hours of cardio. Then you got ppl like Greg Doucette who seems to think everyone has his hummingbird metabolism and can eat 300+ grams of carbs per day and walk around at 8% bodyfat.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I wish I could do that. Unless I'm on a pretty good cycle I get fat with anything over 100-150 grams of carbs per day. My body just wont handle them. Pretty much the only way I can lean out is high protein/Fat very low carb and hours of cardio. Then you got ppl like Greg Doucette who seems to think everyone has his hummingbird metabolism and can eat 300+ grams of carbs per day and walk around at 8% bodyfat.
His philosophy is to prioritize food that isn't calorie dense so people will be full.

If his clients are eating French toast every morning and reaching their goals, I can't hate on it.

MrRippedZilla

MrRippedZilla

VIP Member
Feb 18, 2015
No one who knows what they're talking about would say that macros don't matter. Simultaneously, no one who knows what they're talking about would say that macros matter more than calories. Calories determine whether you gain or lose. Macros help determine what you gain or lose. This is basic shit that all too often is made more complicated then it needs to be.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
No one who knows what they're talking about would say that macros don't matter. Simultaneously, no one who knows what they're talking about would say that macros matter more than calories. Calories determine whether you gain or lose. Macros help determine what you gain or lose. This is basic shit that all too often is made more complicated then it needs to be.

So you are saying the way I've always dropped weight is physically impossible? lol Calories do not determine whether I gain or lose, macros do. I'm not alone in this either. 2,500 calories mostly carbs I got fat, over 3,800 from mostly fat and protein I got lean. 800 calories per day of 100% carbs again I got fat. Gotta love the "science". There use to be a chart at my gym that had weight = the amount of calories you MUST be taking in per day. I was around 210 at that time and the little chart said I HAD to be taking in at least 3,200 calories per day. At that point I had not gone over 1,800 in about 4 months.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic