Latest Member
bsimon7074

Snatch Pulls...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Snatch Pulls~

This movement is much alike a wide gripped deadlift where you shrug high and hard at the top of the movement. This exercise works your legs, lower back, biceps, and of course your traps and upper back girdle. This movement is just the first pull of the Snatch which means you don't have the hip pop and second pull. This exercise isn't nearly as technical as the Squat Snatch or even the Power Snatch.

Execution:

-Position a weighted barbell on the ground. Squat down and grasp the barbell with the hands in a pronated position using a hook grip, spaced apart much wider than shoulder-width. If you are using a barbell only or light weights, start with the barbell at midshin level.

-Pull against the bar so that the arms are straight and the low back is flat or slightly arched. You will lean forward slightly, but distribute your weight evenly on the feet. Inhale.

-Lift the bar off the floor by forcefully extending the knees and hips. Keep the shoulders in front of the bar and keep the bar close to the shins. Do not let the hips rise faster than the shoulders.

-Just after the bar passes the knees, drive the hips forward and bend the knees so that the thighs are under the bar.

-Explosively extend the knees, hips, and ankles as you shrug the shoulders, keeping the arms straight. Simultaneously exhale.

-Lower the bar to the ground in the reverse order of that you lifted it in.

In a nutshell you will be deadlifting with an extremely wide grip and at the top of the movement you raise up on your toes and shug like hell.

Give this try b/c it hits the traps at a different angle and could cause some new muscle growth.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
good post thanks for the info

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
good post thanks for the info

Np. Most people don't know but A LOT of deadlifters in other parts of the world incorp many Olympic assisting movements into their regimen to greater increase their speed which translates into helping them pull more.

I also believe that unless you are training to compete in Olympic Weightlifting, leave the classical lifts (Snatch and Clean & Jerk) alone. They lead to injury and greatly shorten anyone's lifting career.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Agreed, when i was a t&f thrower, we incorporated many of the asisted lifts into our routines. Never the full lift. Lots of snatch pulls, jump shrugs, power & hang cleans and hip snatches.

Np. Most people don't know but A LOT of deadlifters in other parts of the world incorp many Olympic assisting movements into their regimen to greater increase their speed which translates into helping them pull more.

I also believe that unless you are training to compete in Olympic Weightlifting, leave the classical lifts (Snatch and Clean & Jerk) alone. They lead to injury and greatly shorten anyone's lifting career.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
alot of the noobs dont realize you need too do the snatch pull ,deadlift and squat too put size on these three routines work all the muscles

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
can you describe me how to use hook grip and why its used in olympic llifting?? I know you put your thumbs between index and middle fingers but I can't see how you'll have better grip that way.

Like_a_Weed

Like_a_Weed

MuscleHead
Jan 25, 2011
Keep stuff like this coming Brother!

I am trying hard to learn and incorporate oly stuff into my routine since I definately lack explosiveness.

I did snatch pulls a couple workouts ago and really didn't get the feel for it, hopefully next time it'll go better. I'm starting out trying to learn front squat, overhead squat, clean pull, snatch pull, hang clean, hang snatch.

What kind of set/rep do you like for hang snatch, hang clean? I've heard that singles are the best, say 20x1, and I've always like 8x3, or 12x2, I read along time ago to try and keep your rep total around 24, and have always kinda stuck to that.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I have crap for strength but I can explode so I've always been intrigued by Oly lifting. In fact its the only reason I'd ever tune in to watch the olympics lol...

I just tried these for the first time on tuesday. It's saturday and I'm just getting beyond the DOMS in my upper back. AWESOME MOVE! Read somewhere else on here that a snatch grip deadlift will have more carry-over to conventional deadlifting than other variations of the deadlift... Been working on my deads a ton lately and the progress is showing in my squat and the growth of my back.

Thanks for this post bro!

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Good info BI, and I should try these basic oly movements out and incorporate them into my own routine. Thanks for sharing!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Keep stuff like this coming Brother!

I am trying hard to learn and incorporate oly stuff into my routine since I definately lack explosiveness.

I did snatch pulls a couple workouts ago and really didn't get the feel for it, hopefully next time it'll go better. I'm starting out trying to learn front squat, overhead squat, clean pull, snatch pull, hang clean, hang snatch.

What kind of set/rep do you like for hang snatch, hang clean? I've heard that singles are the best, say 20x1, and I've always like 8x3, or 12x2, I read along time ago to try and keep your rep total around 24, and have always kinda stuck to that.

When performing the Classical Lifts (Snatch and Clean & Jerk) you should stay in the single, double, or triple rep range. Set wise you could do as many as 10+ sets.

When performing the Assisting Oly lifts you can go up to 5 reps on those movements.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
can you describe me how to use hook grip and why its used in olympic llifting?? I know you put your thumbs between index and middle fingers but I can't see how you'll have better grip that way.

1st off, great post..... I stopped working snatches, but this sounds like a good alternate to the kettlebell swings and pull through movements I've been doing

Myosaurus...... hook grip is when you grab the bar with your thumbs inside of your first finger. So you grab the bar tight and your thumbnail should be behind the 1st knuckle of your 1st finger. From there you squeeze the shit ot of your thumb. It lets you deadlift double-overhand but it hurts like a motherfucker

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic