Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Smoked pulled chicken sandwiches with a white Alabama BBQ sauce.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Made this yesterday, and it was AWESOME! It's a smoked, pulled whole chicken recipe, with slaw and white blue cheese Alabama BBQ sauce. It's a Malcom Reed recipe I follow 99% to the teee. Here is the recipe I used:

Smoked Chicken Sandwich with Blue Cheese Slaw (howtobbqright.com)

After I post on this thread, i'm gonna go slam 2 of them down!!!

Here are some pics and steps along the way I took doing it....

These first set of pictures are precooked after seasoning while the smoker is getting up to temp. I kept the temp at 275 the whole cook. Seasonings used are in the picture. The AP (salt/pepper/garlic - 4:2:1) and the BBQ rub seasoning are awesome on chicken.

Attachments

• chicken precook 1.jpg
    chicken precook 1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 93
  • chicken precook 2.jpg
    chicken precook 2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
The first 2 pics are at 1hr into the cook, and when I added in the probes....which I could have done at 2hrs. The temp at 1hr was around 95F.

The last 2 pics are at 2hr into cook. I think the temps were around 140'ish...give or take 5 degrees. I can't remember. Had to push the birds back further into the smoker so that I could fit the probes into them, lol.

Attachments

• chicken 1hr.jpg
    chicken 1hr.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 80
  • chicken 1hr 2.jpg
    chicken 1hr 2.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 75
  • chicken 2hr 1.jpg
    chicken 2hr 1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 74
  • chicken 2hr 2.jpg
    chicken 2hr 2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 76
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
The first 3 pics are when I pulled the chicken out of the smoker done at 165F. The first 2 are in the smoker, and the 3rd pic is after I placed them on the carrying sheet pan. Lighting gives a different contrast of the same chickens. The skin was perfectly cooked crispy, very happy!

The 4th picture is after pulling all the chicken from the bones. The mix of white meat with dark meat and crispy skin is why the chicken is so good, along with the smoke flavor and moistness. I used Kingsford pellets...think it's the classic blend of Hickory/cherry/Oak. Actually, I added that into my pellet bin on top of some Hickory/Cherry/Maple that was leftover from the last cook I did and ran out of. The Kingsford really does awesome with my rectec.

Pulling the chicken from the bones is the most tedious part of this whole recipe. Takes a little while, as most of you have probably experienced, but it's totally worth it. Of course, you pull some chicken and it's soft like butter and you end up eating a lot in the process, along with the crispy skin:cool: heh heh heh!

Attachments

• chicken done 1.jpg
    chicken done 1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 77
  • chicken done 2.jpg
    chicken done 2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 88
  • chicken done 3.jpg
    chicken done 3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 79
  • chicken done 4.jpg
    chicken done 4.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Okay, here are the pics and recipe for the Alabama White BBQ Sauce.....

2 cups Mayo
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1T course black pepper
1 heaping teaspoon of prepared horseradish. Probably 2t.
1t kosher salt
1/2t cayene pepper
Juice from 2 limes

Attachments

• white sauce 1.jpg
    white sauce 1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 79
  • white sauce 2.jpg
    white sauce 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 80
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Pics of the slaw...super easy. I used regular plain slaw with no carrot or red cabbage. The recipe called for all red cabbage, but the store out here didn't have any. I don't like carrots in my slaw, so I didn't buy the mixed bag. Here is the recipe for the slaw and pics:

-10oz shredded red cabbage (or regular like I used)
-1/2 cup white BBQ sauce. I used probably 8oz or more, then had to add more slaw mix in, lol.
-1/4 cup of blue cheese crumbles. I probably used 1/3C.
-3 green onions sliced fine
-2T white sugar
-1 teas celery seed.

Attachments

• slaw 1.jpg
    slaw 1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 76
  • slaw 2.jpg
    slaw 2.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 81
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Okay, and the final pics all put together into a sandwich. I had already ate 1 sandwich and almost forgot to take pics, I was so effin' hungry!!! I ended up eating 3 sandwiches and like 3 garlic bread sticks I made for the kids, lol.

The first sandwich I ate (not pictured) was on a smaller Hawaiian roll, and was good. The other 2 (pictured below) were on regular sesame seed hamburger buns that were larger...and equally good. Not that it matters...but.

Attachments

• sandwich 1.jpg
    sandwich 1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 79
  • sandwich 2.jpg
    sandwich 2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 80
  • sandwich 3.jpg
    sandwich 3.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 75
BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
That looks sooooo good!

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
@MR. BMJ stepping up his game! Looks freaking awesome. I like a little BBQ sauce between the slaw and the chicken, Stubb's low sugar is great. Those birds look huge!

I just grabbed an 11lb Turkey breast I am going to smoke Wed, soo damn good!

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
@MR. BMJ stepping up his game! Looks freaking awesome. I like a little BBQ sauce between the slaw and the chicken, Stubb's low sugar is great. Those birds look huge!

I just grabbed an 11lb Turkey breast I am going to smoke Wed, soo damn good!

I'm gonna try some regular BBQ sauce on them today, it's my usual as well. The white BBQ sauce is real good though, mixes awesome with the slaw, so i've not yet had to resort to the regular route. I think, IIRC, they were around 5# each, or a little over. They took just under 3hrs to cook....but that was an easy 3hrs. The pulling the meat from the bone takes the longest time, but isn't too bad. I need to find a way to keep the chicken warm next time because by time I got done pulling both birds, it was cooling off.

I'm gonna have to try out a turkey breast, i've been wanting to do one for awhile. Holy crap...11# breast???:oops: I think Costco had them, but maybe it was seasonal during T-giving. I'm gonna check next time I go...this week or next. I have to figure out what to cook for Easter this year. We do the usual suspects for TG and Xmas, and usually try to cook something different for Easter...but we'll see. lol.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Wow BMJ, that chicken looks really good. Like a pic of a finished smoke product you'd see on a website! LOL

I smoked two whole chickens yesterday as well. First time doing chicken, and I was pleased with out it turned out. I will concur that pulling the meat off of the bones and prepping for serving is a good amount of work!

I'm eager to give a large salmon filet a try next! Thanks for the pics!

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
That white BBQ sauce is famous, they drink that shit... lol

it has the nice citrus herb flavor, that so many prefer to the over sweet BBQ sauce.. I F'en hate sweet BBQ.. has to be made for those that don't like to taste meat.

any Tangy and Spicy BBQ sauce is g2g I just dont understand the purpose of sweet BBQ sauce, is it to hide the wonderful smokey flavor of meat!.....?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic