Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Sleep

Body_Builder

Body_Builder

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2010
I've had insomnia for as long as I can remember. I envy you people who can just fall asleep with ease. Even if I get an hour of sleep I still have a lot of trouble going to bed the night after. It's like my body never shuts down. I'm prescribed Ambien though and that works really well for me but I only take it five nights out of the week to help deter dependency so for the other two I down a fair amount of melatonin & Valerian root. I've read studies that said it's not exactly how much sleep you get to an extent but at which part of your sleep phase you are woke up during but there are so many studies that say different things....

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
I've read studies that said it's not exactly how much sleep you get to an extent but at which part of your sleep phase you are woke up during

Like whether you completed a full dream cycle? Sounds plausible; or maybe whether or not you even reached the therapeutic Theta brain state as opposed to Beta. Supposedly, people who meditate and have trained themselves to reach that state more rapidly, might not need as much sleep. I do sleep better when I listen to relaxation tracks, knocks me out pronto, definitely something to brainwave/sound therapy.
I'm about to review a book now called 'Healing At the Speed of Sound: How What We Hear Transforms Our Brains and Our Lives', Penguin USA; should be interesting, hope to learn that listening to Boston, Bon Jovi and Sting makes me more creative.

Last edited:
Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
I sleep from about 12:30am to 6:00am M-F and on week ends still get up at 6:00 but usually get a nap in on Sat or Sun. Lately I feel like I need more sleep but usually this is fine. Maybe it's the change of season lately. If I am training really hard I tend to sleep more.

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
Like whether you completed a full dream cycle? Sounds plausible; or maybe whether or not you even reached the therapeutic Theta brain state as opposed to Beta. Supposedly, people who meditate and have trained themselves to reach the Theta state more rapidly, might not need as much sleep. I do sleep better when I listen to relaxation tracks, knocks me out pronto, definitely something to brainwave/sound therapy.
I'm about to review a book now called 'Healing At the Speed of Sound: How What We Hear Transforms Our Brains and Our Lives', Penguin USA; should be interesting, hope to learn that listening to Boston, Bon Jovi and Sting makes me more creative.

I like Boston and Sting but Bonjovi is a chick thing. When is the new Boston disk coming out?

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
Don't know, how do you top Greatest Hits and The Ultimate Collection? He opened his Soul Kitchen in Red Bank, NJ a couple of weeks ago. Jon Bon Jovi Soul Foundation He is committed to fighting poverty and homelessness; an artist who really gives back to the community.

err, nope, you wrote Boston....well give me grace, it's after midnite after all...checking on that...well Third Stage is yours for a value priced 34 buckarubles! Came out mid-Sept; probably not conducive to sleep.

Last edited:
NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Like whether you completed a full dream cycle? Sounds plausible; or maybe whether or not you even reached the therapeutic Theta brain state as opposed to Beta. Supposedly, people who meditate and have trained themselves to reach the Theta state more rapidly, might not need as much sleep. I do sleep better when I listen to relaxation tracks, knocks me out pronto, definitely something to brainwave/sound therapy.

Theta rhythm in humans isn't well documented or studied and seems to be most prevalent in times of focus from what limited data we have http://ojensen.ruhosting.nl/jensen02c.pdf is a good example, it's not hard to believe it would happen during a dream however to call it a therapeutic state is a stretch. Heck it's existence and function in different areas is still questionable. Usually It's seen in stage 1 and 2 of NREM. If anything I'd be looking at the effect of the delta wave on sleep since it is seen in the deepest parts of NREM sleep (GHRH release happens during this time and the bulk of tissue repair is in deep NREM), not to mention we spend about 80% of sleep in NREM. Now how many times you complete the NREM stages and get into REM sleep could be interesting but variable. Dreams happen mostly in REM but can happen in NREM delta stages too.

Pearl

Pearl

TID Lady Member
Oct 6, 2011
I'd be looking at the effect of the delta wave on sleep since it is seen in the deepest parts of NREM sleep (GHRH release happens during this time and the bulk of tissue repair is in deep NREM), not to mention we spend about 80% of sleep in NREM. Now how many times you complete the NREM stages and get into REM sleep could be interesting but variable. Dreams happen mostly in REM but can happen in NREM delta stages too.

Delta waves, yes, thank you. So factors determining adequate sleep might be based on a) depth of sleep b) frequency of cycling thru the stages c) length of cycle at each level, or likely a combination of all three. Certainly very difficult to study as it would vary for each individual.

Would be great if sleep therapy and brain entrainment could alleviate pain, cure autism, amnesia, and insomnia.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic