Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Sleep

Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
Brethren, I usually get 7 to 8 solid hours of sleep at night, but a few of my friends said I'm not getting the "right sleep". Let me give you guys an example of what I do and would like some opinions

1. Wake up 5am
2. Work 6am to 2:30pm
3. Go to gym at 3pm
4. Get home around 4:15 to 4:30 and eat something
5. Take a nap at 6 pm to wake up 9pm
6. 9:15 Wife and I take our dog out to play fetch.
7. 10pm eat
8. 11:30 head to bed sleep
9. Wake up at 5am

So my buddies say because it's not 8 consecutive hours I'm not getting the "right restful sleep". I don't have a problem falling asleep and sleep very comfortable/easily, but what do you fellas think about this are they right or should I just keep doing what I'm doing since I don't have any problems during the day time as far as feeling tired.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Sounds like bro-law. I'd kill a man for a nap every day!!

klbsa

klbsa

Jan 5, 2011
I have always gotten better results breaking my sleep up into multiple sessions like that.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I can't cite the studies off the top of my head but I have read that is actually better to get naps in during the day versus 8 hours of sleep at night. If I remember correctly you can sleep for 8 hours but you're not getting restful sleep for 8 hours you're only getting it in short amounts of time so getting less sleep at night and then getting naps in during the day you sleep in the REM cycle which is more beneficial. . Again, trying to remember from memory the benefit of more REM sleep is improvement for depression and anxiety, cognitive brain function, it can also decreases blood pressure.

The only problem with naps is depending on how short they are you may not get into a REM cycle which can kick in 60 to 90 minutes into a normal sleep cycle. That's when you do most of your dreaming. But I can take a nap which I do almost every day sleep for 15 to 30 minutes and I dream every single time and it's the best rest I get. The one benefit of being self-employed and a private Studio with a king size bed.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I am looking at this sleep schedule and I would change a few things around. You might get your best sleep during your 3 hour nap, and then light sleep till you get up at 5. Longer naps during the day lead to poor quality sleep. I’d also eat earlier, changing that will help you get more deep sleep at night. Now, I’m going to ask, why that sleep/eat schedule at night? Does your wife get off late and that’s your “time” together? Just wondering…

1. Wake up 5am
2. Work 6am to 2:30pm
3. Go to gym at 3pm
4. Get home around 4:15 to 4:30 and Protein shake/ Something post.
5. Take a nap at 4:45- 5 pm to wake up 5:30
6. 6pm eat.
7. Then at 7 head out to play fetch with dog.
8. 9-10pm head to bed sleep
9. Wake up at 5am

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
My sleep pathologist told me taking short naps are counterproductive to better sleep quality, but she wasn't talking about 3 hours. To me that is not a nap. That is sleep. In fact, when I was not using my CPAP enough the doctor's office called me to figure out what is going on. I explained that I was only sleeping 3-4 hours each night and they suggested I try a sleep routine similar to yours, (2) 3-4 hour sleep periods a day. I never could do it.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
I couldn't get 8 hours of sleep even if I laid in bed thinking about trying to fall asleep.

Snachito1

Snachito1

VIP Member
Jan 12, 2018
I am looking at this sleep schedule and I would change a few things around. You might get your best sleep during your 3 hour nap, and then light sleep till you get up at 5. Longer naps during the day lead to poor quality sleep. I’d also eat earlier, changing that will help you get more deep sleep at night. Now, I’m going to ask, why that sleep/eat schedule at night? Does your wife get off late and that’s your “time” together? Just wondering…

Wife gets home at around 9 from work and that's when we get to talk while we walk and play with our furry kid.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I have found on weekends a 30 minute nap in the afternoon really helps me after a long stressful week.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
I need to fix my sleep schedule. I'm all over the place. I usually get about 5-6 hours a night during the week, which I know isn't good.

I remember watching a documentary (can't remember for the life of me which one) about how humans used to sleep in two shifts called bi-phasic sleep. As the sun went down they'd sleep for about 4 hours, wake up for a couple hours, then sleep for about 4 more hours. Basically 8 hours throughout the night broken up in two shifts. I wish I had the time to try that and see how it worked based on the way I feel. I do tend to wake up in the middle of the night.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic