Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Sleep Apnea

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
I've had sleep apnea for over 10 yrs. and I'm starting to get health issues related to it. I have tried to get a Cpap machine in the past but ins. co. would only approve a cheap piece of crap because they didn't want to pay the high cost of one that would work. I read that newer machines were much better so I started the process all over again. I did the home study 1st to prove I still have it but when I went in to sleep at there facility to get a mask that fit and so they could adjust the pressure on the machine they didn't have a mask that fit. The first one I tried covered both my mouth and nose and was really tight around my nose. We did try a full face mask but he had to really yank on the straps to keep air from going out the sides and that was really uncomfortable. It didn't squeeze my nose shut like the other one but having the mask on that tight would only be a matter of time before I ripped it off. We did try one that covered just the nose but it also felt like it was squeezing my nose shut. The other issue is the Cpap continuously blew air into the mask so hard I could barely breath out. He said that was normal as the continuous pressure kept the airway open and something about taking short breaths. I asked him about the carbon monoxide we were supposed to breath out and wouldn't it build up if we were mostly breathing in. He said something I really didn't understand and after trying on 5+ masks that were uncomfortable plus the continuous pressure blowing in making me feel claustrophobic, I thought there was no way I was gonna sleep for 6-7hrs after getting all those wires attached and then having them taken off with zero success so I hit the road. Any input from you guys who use a cpap and what you use for a mask and cpap and how it works for you? I really need to get this resolved as I'm sick of being so tired and run down all the time.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Try the nasal pillow type mask. I can sleep on my side without issue in mine.

I wish I could use the nasal one. I’m a freaking mouth breather when I sleep so I have to use the full face. I can’t get used to it to save my life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
I've had sleep apnea for over 10 yrs. and I'm starting to get health issues related to it. I have tried to get a Cpap machine in the past but ins. co. would only approve a cheap piece of crap because they didn't want to pay the high cost of one that would work. I read that newer machines were much better so I started the process all over again. I did the home study 1st to prove I still have it but when I went in to sleep at there facility to get a mask that fit and so they could adjust the pressure on the machine they didn't have a mask that fit. The first one I tried covered both my mouth and nose and was really tight around my nose. We did try a full face mask but he had to really yank on the straps to keep air from going out the sides and that was really uncomfortable. It didn't squeeze my nose shut like the other one but having the mask on that tight would only be a matter of time before I ripped it off. We did try one that covered just the nose but it also felt like it was squeezing my nose shut. The other issue is the Cpap continuously blew air into the mask so hard I could barely breath out. He said that was normal as the continuous pressure kept the airway open and something about taking short breaths. I asked him about the carbon monoxide we were supposed to breath out and wouldn't it build up if we were mostly breathing in. He said something I really didn't understand and after trying on 5+ masks that were uncomfortable plus the continuous pressure blowing in making me feel claustrophobic, I thought there was no way I was gonna sleep for 6-7hrs after getting all those wires attached and then having them taken off with zero success so I hit the road. Any input from you guys who use a cpap and what you use for a mask and cpap and how it works for you? I really need to get this resolved as I'm sick of being so tired and run down all the time.
https://genio.nyxoah.com/ if you have moderate to severe apnea. This link came across my FB feed, I checked into it bc I was recently diagnosed with mild OSA, after speaking to the screening nurse, I was not eligible. You may be.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Couldn't stand the nasal mask and the air constantly shooting up my nose.
I have them one that covers my nose and mouth and sleep on my side which basically pushes the mask on my face all night so no air escapes.
The drool filling the mask is a different issue lol

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
Go with APAP instead of CPAP. It will automatically vary the pressure to your needs. It also won't push air so hard when it senses you breathing out.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
I wear the full mask that covers your nose and mouth. Ive tried all the other options and I was most comfortable with the mask. I am a nose breather when I sleep. Only thing that sucks, is if my allergies start acting up, wearing the CPAP is the worst. I have to start breathing through my mouth, and that dries my throat/mouth out. Ive been on this CPAP for years. You never get used to it. I have never slept 6-8 hours straight, and I can't remember how long. I still wake up every 1 -1/2 hours because I have to piss. Both urologist and Sleep doctor, point the blame on each other.. Urologist blames my problems on my sleep apnea, and sleep doctor says its because of my overactive bladder. Go figure..

I still wake up in the middle of the night with my mask off and on the floor. My wife says I take it off in my sleep. Sometimes when I am winding down, and just shutting my eyes, I seem to fall asleep before I even put the mask on.
I don't wish sleep apnea on anyone.

Have you looked into getting that device called Inspire? They implant a small pacemaker device, I believe near your neck, and it works by remote control. Suppose to keep your airway open. I am going to ask my sleep doctor about this again when I see her in a few months. I think she told me before, she doesn't recommend it, as the CPAP is the best and proven method.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I have used the Air Sense 10 for the last 3 years with the heated tubing and a full mask (covers mouth and nose only). I cannot sleep without it. I mean I can, but I wake up with headaches due to my brain not receiving enough oxygen.

Like IM mentioned, allergy season sucks, but it is not too bad if you have the humidity set right.

As far as the constant pressure and trying to get to sleep. Mine has a ramp up feature where I can set it to a lower pressure setting for a specific time period while I fall asleep. I heard the newer Air Sense actually sense when you fall asleep, so you don't even need to set the time (I could be wrong. It is just what I heard.)

When it comes to the mask, I would always suggest the full mask. Even when you get fitted and you choose the nose only if you end up with a stuffy nose at home you are screwed. At least you can transition to a mouth breather until your stuffy nose goes away when you have the full mask and it will go away faster if you use the mask with humidity. Try the different mask cup sizes on. I do not have a small face, but found the small is actually best suited for me. Yes, I still get some air leakage, but it is not too bad and the machine is designed to pick up the slack if there are air leaks. Plus, the smaller mask cup is nice if you are a stomach sleeper, as it is a little less cumbersome.

I hope this helps, even if a little.

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
I've been using CPAP for many years also. Last several years the Air Sense 10. Thats a great machine. I have always used the nasal pillows below.
Yes, for sure when i have nasal congestion it sucks bad. In that situation ill throw on the full mask. I can't sleep without it. If I fall asleep, or doze off on the couch without it, I wake up within 20 min gasping for air. Goes with me everywhere, vacations etc.

1658185990107.png

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I have been on cpap since 2008. Five years was bitch with the pressure blowing all the time. Tried the nasal worked ok until I realized it was blowing out my mouth as well. Lol.
2013. I got the latest and greatest machine at the time and was happy the machine stopped blowing when you exhaled. I got the airsense 10 in 2018 and if you set it to auto it works really well. I still wake up 4 or more times a night to pass as well. The docs said I was waking up because of the apnea but never changed.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic