Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Sleep and Recovery

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Hawk you have a neck the size of my thigh bro. Any chance this is sleep apnea and did you discuss a sleep study with the Doctor? I know so many who can't get a good nights sleep. I went thru this for a year and a half myself and it was hell. But I solved it - it was really psychological due to stress that I wasn't managing. Since then I sleep like a god damn rock whatever that means... rocks don't sleep... You get my point. I could sleep thru a nuclear war. So I feel for you man. Bundy is right about those pills though. It starts as needed. But then you will find yourself "needing" it more and more. It creeps up on you and before you know it you can't sleep ever without them. Then you start needing uppers to get thru the day and so on. I know you're not an idiot. Just want you to play this safe. Maybe work to find the root cause of the issue whether its physical like sleep apnea or mental from stress.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I use Tizanidine (sp). It's a muscle relaxer but I don't use it often. A 1 month script lasts me 6 months.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Hawk you have a neck the size of my thigh bro. Any chance this is sleep apnea and did you discuss a sleep study with the Doctor? I know so many who can't get a good nights sleep. I went thru this for a year and a half myself and it was hell. But I solved it - it was really psychological due to stress that I wasn't managing. Since then I sleep like a god damn rock whatever that means... rocks don't sleep... You get my point. I could sleep thru a nuclear war. So I feel for you man. Bundy is right about those pills though. It starts as needed. But then you will find yourself "needing" it more and more. It creeps up on you and before you know it you can't sleep ever without them. Then you start needing uppers to get thru the day and so on. I know you're not an idiot. Just want you to play this safe. Maybe work to find the root cause of the issue whether its physical like sleep apnea or mental from stress.

I am going to talk to my doc about getting a sleep study down and just do it. You are right, most of it is stress induced. I cut back on school this week and dropped on class. I had a few reasons for it. One, I'm sick of not getting to the gym and two, I'm looking to get some sleep and get back to who I once was. My goal will be to not mess with any meds and if worse case do the sleep apnea route and try to get some rest that way. I'm hoping by cutting back on school it will help me with my sleep, training and etc. I do appreciate the concern. I will keep you guys posted.

dragnflies

dragnflies

Feb 2, 2016
Have you had a sleep study done? You may just have sleep apnea, a CPAP machine, while not cool, is awesome and no drugs necessary.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Have you had a sleep study done? You may just have sleep apnea, a CPAP machine, while not cool, is awesome and no drugs necessary.

I'm going to look into that soon. Just started back to training again and hoping a little weight loss might help, but I'm sure regardless, a CPAP will be in my future. Thank you.

G

guinessforstrength

VIP Member
Sep 24, 2010
I've had pretty bad insomnia since my last deployment which was yrs ago. Been prescribed different things, now I'm on mirtazipine. It is non addictive and works great. You will feel groggy in morning but after a while that goes away. I highly recommend it.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Just an update. Had no issue with the clonazepam. I did sleep well but only used it on an as needed basis and I only filled my script a few times. As of today, I haven't taken it for over 3 months. Are there better methods for long term? I'm sure. Bottom line is I will have to work on several factors such as environment and mood and etc to optimize sleep. I'm just a restless sleeper anyway. Sad thing is I don't utilize caffeine or stimulants much at all, and I definitely stop the coffee 2 to 3 hours prior to leaving work. I'm sure some of it has to do with working overnights and diet and etc. Just have to get it all in line and see what I can do.

T

Torres

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2013
There def OTC things you can utilize brother !!!
Melatonin is one of them !!!
GABA Root !!!
There even is a product from Redcon1 called FadeOut . This stuff puts up to bed bro !! Clears the mind of a A's and worry and gives you some good rest . Try it out !!!
Always alternatives to drugs man !!!

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
There def OTC things you can utilize brother !!!
Melatonin is one of them !!!
GABA Root !!!
There even is a product from Redcon1 called FadeOut . This stuff puts up to bed bro !! Clears the mind of a A's and worry and gives you some good rest . Try it out !!!
Always alternatives to drugs man !!!

Hey thanks, Torres. GABA root eh? Can you snag that at a vitamin or supplement shop? I will look into FadeOut. I have tried melatonin. It had a decent effect. I think my issue is that I need to use it as needed in lieu of a continual dose. My body for some reason builds up a tolerance to anything I take.

T

Torres

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2013
Damn did I mispell a ton of shit lol .
But I bought a product from GNC , called Enhanced Sleep Formula, it has :
L-Theanine
Valerian Root
GABA
Melatonin and a few other things , but 2 pills and its nite nite bro !!!
Now I don't suggest you go into GNC much , as it's super expensive , but every once in a while I go in there to just " Window Shop " .
But Fade Out is good bro , give it a go , but only if you want to .
And I understand what u mean , my body adapts to shit after time so I'm constantly looking for new things , Supps and such !!!
My .02 !!!

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Damn did I mispell a ton of shit lol .
But I bought a product from GNC , called Enhanced Sleep Formula, it has :
L-Theanine
Valerian Root
GABA
Melatonin and a few other things , but 2 pills and its nite nite bro !!!
Now I don't suggest you go into GNC much , as it's super expensive , but every once in a while I go in there to just " Window Shop " .
But Fade Out is good bro , give it a go , but only if you want to .
And I understand what u mean , my body adapts to shit after time so I'm constantly looking for new things , Supps and such !!!
My .02 !!!

Appreciate it, brother.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Valerian root is pretty damn cool. It'll make you drowsy for sure. Use it every once in a while for anxiety, and much like Xanax, it calms the nerves. It is unlike Xanax, however, because it doesn't kick in as fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic