Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Sleep and Recovery

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I had to go to the doc the other day to talk to him about sleep and check my labs. My schedule is crazy with school and work and family. I keep telling myself I need to find time to get to the gym and I need to just plug it in to my busy schedule. Problem is I feel like garbage and I'm sore as hell and just have no energy.

After a little discussion, we agreed on a medication to help me sleep. I usually don't get much more than 4-6 hours, but its interrupted and not restful. I've tried all the sleep aids and many meds with little luck. I was using melatonin and some benedryl, but that quickly faded. So I was open to anything.

So, he prescribed me clonapine. It's an anxiety med, but is often prescribed for sleep too. I tried it the other day and I couldn't believe the difference I felt from it. I slept great and I didn't wake up feeling achy and tired. I'm hoping this continues because I truly feel now I can move forward with training again (even though it may not be as frequent as I like)

My point is, I really never knew how much recovery and sleep mean to the body. In some ways, its more important than your training because if you can't get it rolling, not much use in trying to train.

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
Man your making a huge mistake.. It a drug similar to xannies and their super addictive ..once u get hooked good luck ever coming off that..your better off not messing with that stuff

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
Sorry to be Debbie downer but I know that world real well and it's just not a good drug to be addicted to

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Man your making a huge mistake.. It a drug similar to xannies and their super addictive ..once u get hooked good luck ever coming off that..your better off not messing with that stuff

I'm hoping to take it only as needed. I've been through the list of meds for sleep. Started off with benedryl, then melatonin, on to Ambien, then Ativan, Trazedone (fuck that med!) and was on Xanax tabs for over a year and just decided it was something that I didn't want to mess with due to the pain it is to have med checks with the doc all the time. He is a cool cat, but I have a script for hydrocodone that I fill and take as needed and it was getting to the point where he was encouraging me to switch to something else. I really didn't like the idea of not having the hydros around when I'm beat to shit, so it was easy to drop the Xanax. I appreciate the incite. I just started the clonopine. I'm hoping your wrong. But thanks for the head's up. Maybe some GH for those restless nights? LOL.

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
hawk the problem with these kinda drugs is they work well and they feel good..The addiction comes on slow and hard..but before u know it u need it every night because u go to sleep every night..It becomes a everyday thing before u know it..Im just telling u what happens to alot of people..I hope im wrong too

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Benzos should be used as needed, not long term. I have had a script for Klonopin (clonazepan) for years with no problems. The key is using it for short durations. For instance, take it for 5 days of your work week, then take the weekend off and try to keep the earlier bed time you used during the week. In fact, you can take 40mg of benadryl to help you fall asleep on those days with no side effects. Benadry is a wonderful and safe drug. Then use it for the next 5 days that you work. Now, after that, try to see if you can keep that up without the klonopin and maybe replace it with the benadryl for a while. It might be just enough to keep you on track.

If you find yourself needing the klonopin for a month, I would advise seeing your doc again for another option or program.

I have had success with it because I don't use it for more than a few nights at a time and PRN for anxiety. A one month script lasts me for about 3-6 months, depending on how messed up my sleep and anxiety issues are. The anxiety isn't near as common though.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Please be careful buddy.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
hawk the problem with these kinda drugs is they work well and they feel good..The addiction comes on slow and hard..but before u know it u need it every night because u go to sleep every night..It becomes a everyday thing before u know it..Im just telling u what happens to alot of people..I hope im wrong too

I hear and I'm trying to be careful. My plan is not to take it every day when I get off in the morning. It's only prescribed for sleep and I'm not prescribed to take it for anxiety during the time I'm up. Addiction hits pretty close to home. My ex wife had or has an addiction issue with Xanax and Hydrocodone. Two meds I also used to take. I got rid of the Xanax due to her pilfering my script and had to hide my Hydros. I'm hoping its a short term thing with my hectic schedule. I hope to graduate from school in March and it should allow me more time to sleep. I also am due for a sleep study. I do appreciate the concern.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Guess I'm lucky, 1/2 bottle of red does the job if needed.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Im in the same boat as you are, dont sleep more than 4 hours at a time, most of the time Im up every couple... It sucks. Some days the sleep just creeps up on me, and I crash out for a day. I have an appointment today to go see my doc, and we will discuss this and some other issues. Im hoping she will work with me.. Cause this shit has got to get better..

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic