Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Skipping the gym....and not by choice!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
OK, those who know me, know I never miss the gym. Like NEVER. Even with a fractured spine (and doctors consent) I still worked out. Been back training for 10 years and besides a vacation here and there or soccer travel with my kids, I NEVER miss a workout unplanned.

Well....not tonight!

A few days ago, I thought I had a small pimple in my hairline near my ear. I never thought twice about it since I wear a hat most every day, I will get a hairline pimple now and again.

It did not go away and felt more sore the next day, and I felt another starting. My glands all down one side of my neck also were swollen and painful. That night, I asked my wife to look at it. She said, it looked almost like posion ivy with small blisters.

I went to bed, and upon waking it was on my cheek down my one sideburn and all under my chin on my neck. My neck and glands were so painful I could barely move my head.

I went to Urgent Care Sun morning first thing. (only 2nd time I have every made a trip to a Dr in my life for something other than routine checkup...or bad accident ;) ).

I got Impetigo! Ug..... Super highly contagious and fast spreading. On the face and around the ears cause glands to swell so bad you can barely move! Must have got it from my gym.... This SUCKS!!!! I have not been able to shave for about 4 days so I look like a homeless guy. This has me aching all over since it got such a foothold before I got treated. Because it was in my hair across the back and side of my head, I was not aware it was so bad!

10 days of antibiotics, and creams! Ug....

I'm no longer contagious after 48hrs on antibiotics, but I am still not sure I can workout. My body is aching so bad from the infection.......

Grosses me out!

Cribbs: Impetigo SUCKS!!!!

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Shit ... if you are pretty sure this came from your gym, I guess the most likely suspect is contact with some upholstered piece of equipment an "impetigo donor" used before you?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Shit mac, i haven't heard of that in years. Glad you got some meds to fight it off though. Speedy healing for you. People are gross at gyms....i always wash my hands before leaving and wash down my equipment. Most do not.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I got a staph infection from a deadlift shin cut once. Nasty shit. Heal up. My kid got impetigo during wrestling season last winter. Nasty shit. At least now he showers right when he gets home from practice instead of hanging around the house like a scrub for a few hours before he jumps in.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Yea....this crap is NASTY!!!!

I remember it went though my high school football locker room and they essentially had to bomb the place.

It is super highly contagious. I think if you catch it early, even just a cream will work. But since it first showed up in my back of my hair line. I thought I had gotten a pimple where my hat sits. A few days later it was not gone and my neck was hurting really bad. Then I notice what I thought were two more "pimples" but they were the size of nickels. They were in my hair behind my ears, so I really could not see them. I never put two and two together.

The next morning, it I could barely move my head, my glands were swollen so much and my wife looked at it. She said it was NOT a pimple. It was now on my cheek and from my collar bones to under my chin! Almost looked like bad poison ivy. She is the one that said Impatigo. I had not heard of that since highschool.

WOW...this is no fun. I have been on antibiotics 48 hrs(only the 2nd time in my life I have ever had to take anti biotics) so they say it is no longer contagious. We have been stripping bed sheet and pillow cases daily. Fresh towels every shower...etc.

I am having to skip again today. My immune system is got me feeling like I have the flu.

My gym is the only place I can figure I got it. I work from home and the gym is really the only place I have been. It seems like a fairly clean place, but these types of things spread so easily. Just plain NASTY!!!

If you ever think you have something like this, go get treated sooner than later. If I were able to see the sores in my head, I would have figured it out a few days quicker and the severity of it would probably be much less. This stuff spreads FAST!

R

roger2686

Dec 29, 2019
Can we switch situations please ? I'm recovering from rhabdomyolysis. Too much meat caffeine or walking raises my numbers to where I can barely move. I haven't lifted since December 7th . I walked 2 miles at the hospital yesterday and I can barely walk today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Can we switch situations please ? . . .

Seems do-able, but wouldn't there be more continuity and background info for someone who wanted to help if you updated in your "Need to Vent" or "Oncology and Hematologist" threads?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Sorry to hear this bro. I had it once in my back/lat area. Started the same way. Once it was dead and gone, the GF pulled 3 hard nodules out the size of a small pea. It can leave some nasty marks but I was lucky and got to it early.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Can we switch situations please ? I'm recovering from rhabdomyolysis. Too much meat caffeine or walking raises my numbers to where I can barely move. I haven't lifted since December 7th . I walked 2 miles at the hospital yesterday and I can barely walk today

Love to! Rhabdo is SUPER easy to never get. Been in and out of gyms the past 30 years and never once got Rhabdo. I have pushed hard at times, but I understand the purpose of working out (or what that is for me).

Stimulate......not annihilate. I wont say that I dont have sympathy for anyone that gets it. But I have to admit.....my first thoughts are less than sympathetic.

Impatigo, on the other hand, is not something you get because you are training like someone looking to post some crazy vid to their instagram, or bragging about all the repz and setz they do.

I wish you the best in recovery. But train smart not hard. The "hardest" thing I think I ever did in the gym was the 10 week Coan Deadlift workout a few years back. Was chasing VERY HARD a700lb DL at 198lb BW . I hit my wall with about 1 1/2 weeks left in the program and was zapped. Starting getting physically run down and sick. I was smart enough to stop and rest for a few days and never went for the big pull.... Know when to say when....

R

roger2686

Dec 29, 2019
Love to! Rhabdo is SUPER easy to never get. Been in and out of gyms the past 30 years and never once got Rhabdo. I have pushed hard at times, but I understand the purpose of working out (or what that is for me).

Stimulate......not annihilate. I wont say that I dont have sympathy for anyone that gets it. But I have to admit.....my first thoughts are less than sympathetic.

Impatigo, on the other hand, is not something you get because you are training like someone looking to post some crazy vid to their instagram, or bragging about all the repz and setz they do.

I wish you the best in recovery. But train smart not hard. The "hardest" thing I think I ever did in the gym was the 10 week Coan Deadlift workout a few years back. Was chasing VERY HARD a700lb DL at 198lb BW . I hit my wall with about 1 1/2 weeks left in the program and was zapped. Starting getting physically run down and sick. I was smart enough to stop and rest for a few days and never went for the big pull.... Know when to say when....
I also have secondary polycythemia. Where my blood is thick for an unknown reason and more testing is needed

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic