Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Skin cancer fml

C

Cabo Jo

Thick n Wide VIP
Jun 26, 2011
I've spent my life under the sun. Golfing, sking, construction.
Had a few appointments with the derm last couple of weeks. Went in yesterday for surgery and laser treatments. Today I look like I've been shot in the face with buck shot.
Need to go back again for another surgery on my nose. Not freaking out because I don't give a shit. But I need to go grocery shopping, and I look like I have some crazy disease.
So wear your sunscreen kids or pay the price later.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I've spent my life under the sun. Golfing, sking, construction.
Had a few appointments with the derm last couple of weeks. Went in yesterday for surgery and laser treatments. Today I look like I've been shot in the face with buck shot.
Need to go back again for another surgery on my nose. Not freaking out because I don't give a shit. But I need to go grocery shopping, and I look like I have some crazy disease.
So wear your sunscreen kids or pay the price later.

Shit bro, I hate to hear that. Just finish the procedures and kick cancers ass and drive on brother. Fuck what people may think in the grocery, be happy to breathe that fresh air and get your groceries my man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I see my skin cancer doctor once a year unless I see something come up and I have them check sooner. Skin cancer hasn't necessarily gotten any worse over the last several years according to my skin cancer doctor people are just paying a lot more attention than they used to. I had severe sunburns when I was a kid so I'm more susceptible to skin cancer now. I have a complete body mold check once a year and again like I mentioned if I have a mole pop up or something doesn't look right I go straight in I see the PA and get their opinion. I've had a precancer burned off my forehead twice in the last 2 years they said eventually I will probably have to have surgery but for right now is not whatever the bad cancer ones are called.

Your skin is the largest organ of your body it's always exposed in one way or another. Sunscreen will definitely help but it's nearly impossible to keep your face and hands out of the Sun all the time. Most skin cancer show up on people's faces and generally speaking on their noses according to my doctor because that's what's always sticking out and they say they do more surgery taking cancer off people's noses than anywhere else.

Warhead14

Warhead14

TID Board Of Directors
Jul 23, 2011
I have had about 9 Basal Cell Carcinomas removed and two squamous cells. I get checked every 6 months. Spent my whole life as a surfer and worked 10 years as a house framer and didnt wear a shirt the whole time. Typical So Cal guy for the times ...

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Skin cancer is an interesting and controversial one. Sunscreen (chemical laden) is ultimately the cause of more skin cancer than sun is. Sun is natural…. but in a two-edged sword sort of way. Cultures who’s lifestyles are most exposed to sun experience the lowest incidence of cancer — and in contrast to that, indoor workers actually experience far greater incidents of skin cancers.
Inadequate / poor nutrition, diet has also been found to be an associated risk.

I grew up sun exposed in SoCal but with years of parents lathering me in sunblock. I’ve had numerous basal cell and squamous cell removals in my adult years from the damage. I don’t use sunblock anymore — I haven’t for many years after more connection of its chemicals being linked to cancers. Sun is natural… sunblock chemicals aren’t.

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
I haven't wore sunscreen since I was 12. I go out for sunlight from April to November. I refuse to sit outside when the weather with the wind chill is less than 33F. My parents always pushed the sunscreen when we were kids. As an adult I don't sit outside long enough to burn. I need to sit in the sun to get the vitamin D and there is always the chance that will develop into skin cancer. On the flip side if I don't do it then I feel tired all day.

Slic.

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
I had Blu Light Therapy with Levulan Kerastick done on my face by my dermatologist a few months back. The treatment was painful as hell and for 3 days had to stay out of ANY direct light on my face. My skin peeled off in chunks and got somewhat scabby for several days before everything cleared. I plan on doing it once a year from now on ... Got rid of all the Basal Cell Carcinomas and skin looks 20 years younger. Been down here in this fkn sweat box Tampa , last 28 years. Heat and sun are brutal.

jawbreaker24

jawbreaker24

Apr 23, 2022
Skin cancer is an interesting and controversial one. Sunscreen (chemical laden) is ultimately the cause of more skin cancer than sun is. Sun is natural…. but in a two-edged sword sort of way. Cultures who’s lifestyles are most exposed to sun experience the lowest incidence of cancer — and in contrast to that, indoor workers actually experience far greater incidents of skin cancers.
Inadequate / poor nutrition, diet has also been found to be an associated risk.

I grew up sun exposed in SoCal but with years of parents lathering me in sunblock. I’ve had numerous basal cell and squamous cell removals in my adult years from the damage. I don’t use sunblock anymore — I haven’t for many years after more connection of its chemicals being linked to cancers. Sun is natural… sunblock chemicals aren’t.

Interesting take, never really thought about it like that.

Good post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
I got basel all over my body just had 4 biopsies done and 4 positive results the one on my shoulder been with me for years

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
I have always hated hats so my forehead got beat up in summer. 13 to 16 years old worked picking fruit in fields a mile from my house. Long hours in the sunshine. 16 on spent summers working on the beach. Been lucky so far just a small spot on my forehead basal cell. My cousin who is the same age lived and worked in Florida and has had 10 large spots cut from chest and back. I spent a summer down there between junior and senior year in college and remember being outside at 9am washing cars and getting roasted pretty bad. The sun is so much more intense down there. I remember baking in the sun with oils only for contests.....never got burnt but wasn't good for the skin for sure. 10 years ago we went on cruises every year in the month of February I would always go tanning in the high pressure beds with M2 and would get black. Now I wear a hat and sunscreen on my face. I have a yearly inspection at the dermatologist to follow up.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Got no links or science to prove this ... all I have is intuition and my experience.

Kinda think skin cancer may be linked to some chemical exposure, more likely to sun exposure, and to good old heredity, i.e. your complexion. I'm a very white White Boy ... Irish - German dna, and I can get skin cancer from just going out to the mailbox once a day. Wife is Italian-American, is outdoors some but not a lot, and has never had skin cancer. Her sister otoh spent a lot of time tanning outdoors and in tanning beds when she was younger. Pretty sure she is cancer-free nowadays, but her skin is leathery, parchment looking. What she had spent a lot of time doing to look more attractive has had the opposite effect.

Dermatologist has me routinely scheduled for 2 x year visits, and most years I find something else and request 1 or 2 other appointments. History of Basal and Squamous ... no Melanoma so far ... AND four "Mohs Procedures." That latter has to not only be done by a Dermatologist, BUT by a Dermatologist who is specially certified to do Mohs. The Basals and Squamous are removed and sent off to Pathology; sometimes only by a skin scraping and no more post-op care than a band-aid, sometimes by a scalpel and a suture or two, which requires some relative inactivity so you don't pop the stitch before things heal.

Here's the thing ............ if you stay ahead of this, most skin cancers begin as "pre-cancers," sorta like you might be told after a colonoscopy. For colonoscopy virgins, it is not unlikely the doctor will find and snip some polyps, which are sent to Pathology. If they are found to be cancerous, more work is in store. Many are, however, found to be benign, and you're routinely only scheduled for another colonoscopy 3-5 yrs later ... you're "good to go."

Skin cancers, and pre-cancers, tend to be flatter, and, thank-you-very-much, are right there to be seen, without a hose up your ass. I tend to get them on my face, and they begin as dry, scaly patches that are easier to feel than to see. With my usual appointments, the doctor can tell at a glance if they are "pre - " or more worrisome. The stuff he doesn't think are worth excision + Pathological review are just "burned" off by a frozen Nitrogen spray then+there. Minor, temporary, irritation+reddening, disappears soon.

He also prescribes (5% Flurorouracil Cream) I can use at home to intercept pre-cancers and minimize my need for doctor visits. Shit is effective IF you stay on top of things ... my Doc usually gets annoyed when he sees I wasn't attentive enough between visits, but the fault is more with me, not the ointment. Similar to the Nitrogen ... minor irritation+reddening ... quick to subside.

Now, here's the maybe(?) bad thing. I have only heard this once, yrs ago, at a previous doctor's office, and it was in idle conversation from his Nurse, not him. If sun or other uv light decides to trigger skin cancer on you, it can happen in other parts of you than where the exposure was. Seems(?) to be true in my case. Out with the dogs most of the year, wearing tee shirt + gym shorts. Some pre-cancers on my exposed forearms, but that's it. my Doc will spray them if at all. My real history is up on the face, even though I wear a wide brim hat. Single biggest one I ever had, one that required some digging and multiple sutures was on my upper chest but below the neckline of my tees. Not sure if that Nurse was right or not, but my history does not contradict her ... something to think about :(

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic