Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Shrugs - shoulder or back

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I wouldn't worry about specific trap training at his age and experience. Have him stick to deads, bent rows and OHP's and traps will be taken care of. I train ppl for a living and don't stress on isolated trap work unless it's a weak point. Teach him proper form on back and shoulder work and his traps will grow.

What does his workout look like?

Was going to post the same thing. Sticking to larger compound movements will build coordination and core strength also. Building muscle groups with a compound movements also will help prevent development of muscular imbalances because he's engaging and functional movement.

I would avoid most isolation exercises in general especially for a beginning trainer.

Best of luck! I've been trying to encourage my 13-year-old to get in with me but he has not really taken to it. On the other hand my 17-year-old daughter has been crushing it!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I like to do trap bar deads with shrugs at the top of the movement.

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
I always used them to build up my traps but I’m sure it’s hitting all over the area

rAJJIN

rAJJIN

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 30, 2011
For me there like calves..... such a small
muscle and ROM. They could be whenever IMO with the more the better if trying to get results from them.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
That's a great age and even better if he's in the gym with you.

Like others have said, shrugs go with shoulders. Now if ya want to hit traps with an upright row, it gets a bit tricker because you're using the bis. Since bis normally go with back, upright rows become a problem.

I gave up on shrugs about 2 years ago. I seem to have stalled out with them. A shoulder injury had me reevaluate my shoulder training and I came up with the answer. Wide grip lower cable shrugs with the lat bar inverted. This got my traps notably growing way more than shrugs. Give them a try and you and him may never do another shrug again. Hit me up if you need more detail on how to do them properly. Trust me.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I train traps/shrugs on back day....though I could also do them on shoulder day and be fine too. I prefer it on back day though.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
If you have a trap bar, just have him do deads with that, itll cover the trap ans the rest of the pksterior chain. Thats considerably more functional than shrugs only.

Tomas Payne

Tomas Payne

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2014
Always do them with shoulders n’ boulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Shrugs... Upper back. I would go against the grain and say back. But better yet have him do rack pulls. More bang for the buck.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic