Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Shoulders x2 per week

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I generaly hit each body part once a week, when I do its all out asualt and I'm sore for at least 2 to 3 days after. I'm on cycle right now, and I was thinking of getting shoulders in twice a week. I feel like they are lacking, since my surgery. Would this stimulated them to grow, or just over train them?.

Maybe do a heavy day of shoulders and the the second work out lighter with more reps.
I do all the usual shoulder exercises. Any suggestions on things to try to get them to respond. ..
Any help is appreciated...

The Old Man

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
What kind of surgery was it, shoulder? If so, how long ago.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Last September shoulder, two compete tears and two partials. Detached bicept tendon.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I wouldn't be going heavy on the shoulder movements. It don't take much weight to screw yourself up again. I'm sure you want to hit it hard and get some gainz, just be careful. Keep it moderate weight, maybe up the volume a bit.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I have always been a firm believer of doing each body part 2 times a week with Sunday off. This was how things were done many years ago before people started taking 1 gram of test every other day....But seriously, if u r recovering from an injury take it slow, last thing u want is to re-injure it....

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I'm 45, been training 27 years, and I've had some shoulder issues in the past.

I'm careful with them and don't overstress them. Short, intense, infrequent.

And keep in mind that you also put lots of stress on them when training chest and tris. Dips in particular are something to be careful with - I still do them, but I do them with care.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I rotate shoulders from 2x a week to 1x a week back and forth. Natural 31 years old...responding well to this.
Only doing about 20 reps total on shoulders each session. Lots of mobility, myofascial release and band work as well.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I have decided to try it.. I just won't go heavy, and still protect the shoulder, but let's see if I can get them to grow ....

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Sounds good man, I might suggest upping cals after shoulder training and the next morning as well.

H

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I generaly hit each body part once a week, when I do its all out asualt and I'm sore for at least 2 to 3 days after. I'm on cycle right now, and I was thinking of getting shoulders in twice a week. I feel like they are lacking, since my surgery. Would this stimulated them to grow, or just over train them?.

Maybe do a heavy day of shoulders and the the second work out lighter with more reps.
I do all the usual shoulder exercises. Any suggestions on things to try to get them to respond. ..
Any help is appreciated...

The Old Man

Bro I do have some pamphlets I can email free from Xrep . Com. While people may not realize since 2006 much research had concluded that using heavy weights is not the most efficient way to build size . Building sarcoplsdmic tissue / hyperplasia ( creating extra fibers ) is about duration of stress. Meaning while history says heavy weight for ten Reps will increase individual surface fibers, it will not stimulate deep fibers . If you do say 6 reps heavy the set lasts around 12-15 seconds . Not enough to go deep . Science has concluded on several studies and you all can google cuz I'm sure : that set should last 40 seconds . One can do this few ways .
1. Cadence of reps - 3 seconds up 4 down , then maybe last set or two try ultra slow 2-3 seconds up then 6 seconds down fighting and flexing all the way .
2. Strip sets doing 8 reps then removing weight like 5-10 pounds or going down dumbell rack without rest doing 2-3 more with each decrease .
3. After doing full 8-12 reps find sweet spot do 3-6 partial reps .
4. Select weight you can do like 15-20 exercise one set 10 reps , rest 10 seconds do ten Reps, rest ten do ten more until 4-5 cycles .
5. Volume training also has merit , no training every 10 day bull.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Its such a small luscle group, ige always found once a week was plenty. You get a ton of shoulder work in other m9gements throughout the week.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Sure you could perform some OHP twice a week.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic