pbtom
What's New?

Shoulders...everyone needs to read this

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
My left elbow and right shoulder have been bothering me for over a month now. It’s taking a while to heal, but you have to keep working it.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Anyone else do shoulder hangs? I thought I was gonna have to have surgery but after doing this for almost 2 years I am way better with far less pain and far less tweaks and injuries, in fact I cannot recall the last time I hurt my shoulders. Worth a try fellas. Takes time but makes a huge diff. Start small and work up. Seriously, do not go hard from the start.

"Dr. John M. Kirsch is a practicing orthopedic surgeon with over 30 years of experience in treating patients with wide-ranging issues when it comes to the shoulder girdle. He is the author of Shoulder Pain? The Solution & Prevention, in which he details exercise and rehabilitative exercise protocols to help alleviate or eliminate shoulder pain. He found that in 90% of his patient population who were expected to have shoulder surgery, prescribing one movement as an alternative actually eliminated their pain altogether. And this movement is the brachial dead hang."
Interesting. I have actually been doing this for my back. Every day I’m at the gym I will hang for 30secs or so a couple times. Helps decompress the spine too.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
Think I was lucky. OHPs would always aggravate my shoulders so I stopped doing them early on. Front and side raises while not as glamorous did the job. Think I have decent sized shoulders.

jawbreaker24

jawbreaker24

Apr 23, 2022
Think I was lucky. OHPs would always aggravate my shoulders so I stopped doing them early on. Front and side raises while not as glamorous did the job. Think I have decent sized shoulders.

I think upright rows did my shoulders in. Amongst other things. Heavy Dumbbell shoulder presses, and like you said OHP when I was young I had a tendency not to listen, and now I am paying the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Anyone else do shoulder hangs? I thought I was gonna have to have surgery but after doing this for almost 2 years I am way better with far less pain and far less tweaks and injuries, in fact I cannot recall the last time I hurt my shoulders. Worth a try fellas. Takes time but makes a huge diff. Start small and work up. Seriously, do not go hard from the start.

"Dr. John M. Kirsch is a practicing orthopedic surgeon with over 30 years of experience in treating patients with wide-ranging issues when it comes to the shoulder girdle. He is the author of Shoulder Pain? The Solution & Prevention, in which he details exercise and rehabilitative exercise protocols to help alleviate or eliminate shoulder pain. He found that in 90% of his patient population who were expected to have shoulder surgery, prescribing one movement as an alternative actually eliminated their pain altogether. And this movement is the brachial dead hang."
Great find! Good info, I need to start doing this.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
When we were younger, we thought the key to growing boulders for shoulders was heavy OHP. It wasn't until I stopped pressing due to shoulder pain and focusing on controlled raises that my shoulders started to really grow.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015

You know I do.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
I used to go crazy on shoulders. Heavy military presses, heavy dumbell presses, ridiculous upright rows. As I've gotten older, it started becoming more obvious my shoulders have taken a beating over the years. There have been several guys older than me I've known who have run into some serious shoulder issues, so I looked at that as a sign to take a step back and make some necessary adjustments. I've since switched everything up, lightened the weights, started throwing in some good rotator cuff exercises and paying especially close attention to any movements over the head. Hoping to keep them in the game with minimal pain as long as I can.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic