Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Shoulder surgery

TheLioness007

TheLioness007

TID Lady Member
Dec 25, 2015
I had shoulder surgery in May, therapy from June to October...I've been trying different arm work outs to slowly build strength but am finding light weights high reps, heavy weights lower reps and even stretching before a work out is really having a negative effect...

I tore the rotator cuff in January...My surgery consisted of repairing the muscle and reattaching the tendon...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
What prehab are you doing to help keep your shoulder girdle healthy and strong? Band pull aparts, stick stretches, wall angels, etc... ??? You'll find many on here, myself included, have bad shoulders so we have to find ways to keep them healthy so we can keep lifting heavier and heavier.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Too vague. What is the negative effect? Did you go through physical therapy after surgery? Do you have full range of motion? Which rotator was repaired? How did the tear occur?

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Welcome to the den! I had my shoulder done end of October and it's still painful to lift. I'm continually doing p.t. but was told to expect this pain/discomfort for up to a year. Do what BI and POB have recommended. There are quite a few threads on shoulder issues so have a look around. Best wishes with your recovery and staying strong

TheLioness007

TheLioness007

TID Lady Member
Dec 25, 2015
Thank you for the reply...
I have done wall stretches, stick stretches, half roll...You name it I've done it...I'm so frustrated...My last shoulder/arm/tricep work out was the Monday before Christmas and since then, the tendon is so tight to reach out to the side is extremely difficult...

I've never felt this helpless...

Even worse, I'm new to working out...

It's my left shoulder and tendon...I've completed therapy, and when my shoulder isn't giving me fits, I have near full range of motion...

I have a work related injury that happened 28 January 2015...It was reported within a half hour, but nothing was ever done about it by my employer...I wasn't able to have surgery until mid May...Then had to wait 6 weeks for therapy...Three times a week until the end of October when I was completely released...

The most weight I can lift is 15 pound dumbbells, unless I'm doing squats, then it's a 20 pound bench bar (curling bar???-It's wavy) I don't have a workout partner, so I can't even try to bench press anything, and shoulder pressing is 10 pounds tops...Ironic since I leg press 390...

Hope this helps...

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Have you been doing any p.t. with resistance bands? I've found shoulder rehab to be very slow, as compared to my knee or back. No pressing for me at all till it's healed, Im thinking more long term goals

chuckzilla

chuckzilla

MuscleHead
Sep 15, 2010
welcome lioness, these guys will top any list of helpful accurate advice. i too had rotator cuff surgery and it does take a long time to heel. tendons usually take alot longer than muscle. i wouldnt do much chest or shoulder work (heavy with weights) until you have pain free full range of motion. keep doing your stretches until then, it will come.

Z

Zombie

Sep 30, 2015
Time! It takes a long time for these injuries to get back to normal. I had a shoulder injury years ago and never went through with the surgery. It's been getting better super slowly over time. Really gotta focus on having good form and not pushing it when you're in pain.

TheLioness007

TheLioness007

TID Lady Member
Dec 25, 2015
So, here's the update...First of all thank you all for the input, it has really helped...

I talked to one of the therapists, and after every exercise, I have to stretch, no bench pressing whatsoever, YET...

At the age of 49, I started Karate and I'm not sure what happened, but I have very little pain and nearly complete full range of motion...I can only assume that there was some scar tissue that needed to be broken up in order for me to do what I do...

On the upside, I've started running and have focused on my legs...Have hit my new pesrsonal best (so far) at 420 pounds leg pressing sets of 15 reps...

Are there exercises that would really benefit my shoulder that I can build strength with???

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I am sure I might offer you some help here but like I asked in my first post I need more info. You tore your rotator cuff. All of it? It's a grouping of tissues not just one. Knowing which one would be helpful and I don't want to guess.

TheLioness007

TheLioness007

TID Lady Member
Dec 25, 2015
It was a complete tear, and then when I had surgery, they had to reattach the tendon...It sucked BAD...

BUT, something happened 2 weeks ago...I started Karate, and all the issues I had with not having good range of motion, I have it...No issues whatsoever...I don't understand that at all...

I'm still not really able to do any presses (shoulder or bench)...Curls, pull downs and rows are fine...

Hope that helps a bit...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic